Sign in to follow this  
sonic_attack

e36 M3ish..

I dunno. Carjam calls it a 2990CC M3 and Jimbo the snake oil peddler calls it a 2500CC M3. I suppose the VIN would be helpful.

The bodykit, wheels and interior and wing mirrors look right though doesn't it? Nice colour anyway

• Like 1

I thought the e36 M3 had red needles on the gauges and a little M badge in the dash? Could be wrong.

i seem to remember a while ago there was an early M3 that someone had taken the engine from for some reason and swapped in a 2.5 (or 2.8) and all associated harness/gauges. It must be this one, becuase yes the cluster is not an M3 cluster (white needles, no M logo, and consumption gauge instead of oil temp) but the rest of the car is M3 sort of spec (hifi audio, full OBC, vaders)

Edited by KwS

ah yes I remember that one ,

was a genuine m3 had its engine nicked for a e36 race car that started out as a 325i.

Ernst at baverian motors did the work

and yes m3 should have the M style gauge (no ecno gauge) oil temp instead .

such a shame, looks like a REAL good condition body and interior. Love the color too.

if it still has all the running gears and stuff of the m3 then it must be better.

so if you can find a s50b30 engine and cluster etc

then you could put it back to a m3

jayden you need this one :)

I know haha bigger brakes reinforced subframe. Does it still have lsd and zf box?

Wasn't the one I was thinking of. Was a blue one with a 2.8 as a s50 replacement was too much at the time.

Probably got a sh*t load of abusive calls and had to prove its an M50

How can they legally advertise it as an M3?

Because it IS an M3, and a little thing called let the buyer beware.

not like its the first car to be sold modified, and its not misleading, clearly says its a 2.5L engine etc

• Like 1

Probably due to the VIN still showing the chassis as an M3.

That's not my interpretation of statutory and common law, can you elaborate on why you're so emphatic?

I guess it's the equivalent of repowering a 328i with a B20, or a 540i with an M60B30. Still an I6 / V8 in a car designed to carry such an engine, but as the new powerplant has fewer CCs and less power it doesn't require certing.

Morally the seller should specify it does not have an S50, but I'm unsure if it's a legal requirement. Bloody should be though!

Wonder if it has any ///M driveline or suspension left at all??

That's not my interpretation of statutory and common law, can you elaborate on why you're so emphatic?

A commodore SS with a rotary in it, is still a commodore SS.

An M3 with a B25 in it, is still an M3.

^ nup.

By law the 'headline' must represent the product offered for sale.

This is clearly *not* an M3 and can't be offered for sale as one.

It may be registered as an M3 (doubtful) but the registration isn't a valid description for sale since it doesn't accurately describe the goods.

It is an M3, an M3 with a 325i engine which is easily discovered and would presumably be described at first chance. There would be no 'reasonable' situation where a sale agreement was made imagining it still as a more valuable 3L car.

Its an M3, plain and simple. As long as the seller discloses the engine swap to the buyer, there is nothing at all wrong (and presuming its certified for the swap too).

But by your reasoning, if you took the engine out of this car, what would it be then? Cant just call it nothing....

Edited by KwS
  • Like 1

My Father owned this car in the early to mid 2000's, its a real M3. While Dad owned it he had the whole car repainted.