Sign in to follow this  
pldubs

Changing Ownership

So I never thought about this, But its really really easy to change the ownership of a car.

I walked in, paid my $10 and walked out with a car in my name.

Can anyone take down my rego number then go in and change the car into their name?

and get arreseted for it with probably car conversion charges with nothing to show but the fact you could dupe some paper records.

• Like 1

So I never thought about this, But its really really easy to change the ownership of a car. 

I walked in, paid my $10 and walked out with a car in my name. 

Can anyone take down my rego number then go in and change the car into their name? 

Yes, theoretically anybody can.

But no you shouldn't and eventually will need to back it up, plus you will get a letter stating disposal of a car and then wonder what the? And pursue it.

How I know? Someone attempted it with my E38 and was successful until that sweet letter from NZTA came in the mail and I called them up..

Seller also has paperwork to do so, no.

they dont have to do that any more.

the seller gets a letter in the mail to say that its been changed, and to call NZTA if they think its an error.

so if you move house, the letter goes missing, you would never know.

Having said all that, whos name is on the database is only who is responsible for the fines etc accossiated with the vehicle, it is NOT legal ownership of the vehicle

eg you can put your car into anyones name you like, such as if a friend came to new zealand for 6 months, but its still your car.

• Like 2

Out of all 40 cars i have sold over the past few years, not a single one ive had to fill out the sellers form and ownership has changed just fine.

• Like 1

Out of all 40 cars i have sold over the past few years, not a single one ive had to fill out the sellers form and ownership has changed just fine.

Same deal dude, I never thought anything of it till my mate who isnt at all into cars asked the question.

Pretty funny really

Edited by pldubs

Sellers form updates police records. Not doing them opens you up to fixed speed camera fines

Sellers form updates police records. Not doing them opens you up to fixed speed camera fines

Didn't even know a sellers form existed.. Could someone point me to where??

you can do them online now, it covers you quite completely, saying that you have disposed of the car from the date stated and you'd need the buyer's address and details, which is good.

The sellers form is to cover your own behind really, as the buyer may not change ownership right away making you liable for registration fees etc until change of ownership. Found that out the hard way..

The buyer should change the ownership BEFORE collecting the car and show evidence to the seller, and the seller sends in the sellers part to confirm it it an honest change.

I always do it online and change it for the buyer too - complete the whole lot and protect myself!

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/buying-selling.html

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/41/buying-and-selling.html

With smartphones nowadays i just do it on my phone infront of the seller or buyer. Easy. Take screenshots. Done.

I take my iPad. No ownership change, no key handover. No chance of fines etc coming to me if their side of it is changed, and its never come back to bite me so far.

yes i make any buyers do it in front of me before they take the vehicle too.

Yup. Won't release the vehicle until buyer had completed change of ownership online in front of me, and I complete the seller component. Been burnt before. Sold a bike a couple of weeks ago that was in bits - still made the buyer complete change of ownership before I released it.

The buyer should change the ownership BEFORE collecting the car and show evidence to the seller, and the seller sends in the sellers part to confirm it it an honest change.

I always do it online and change it for the buyer too - complete the whole lot and protect myself!

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/registration-licensing/buying-selling.html

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/41/buying-and-selling.html

Ahh, but according to Toby - you don't change your vehicles Allan... :ph34r:

• Like 2

Ahh, but according to Toby - you don't change your vehicles Allan... :ph34r:

Shows what he knows... :P

Ask my wife... she'll go :rolleyes:

Thats exactly why i always write out 2 copies of a 'sales' agreement and get the new buyer to sign each copy..