Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

Schnitzer vs. M Spec in E39 540's

So I'm looking at getting an E39 540, two have caught my eye, a '99 MSpec with 200k on the clock and a '97 AC Schnitzer with 240k on the clock.

The latter is 30% cheaper, but it's in akl rather than chch as I am and the former.

The real questions I have are;

Which is rarer (and perhaps more likely to hold value like my old E34 540iS)

Which provides more giggles in terms of handling and performance?

the Mspec has had some pretty major maintenance done recently (gearbox rebuild etc.) So perhaps less likely to punish my wallet in the future.

'97 might be non-vanos, I would go with that. I have a 97 E39 540, and its great fun :)

It has been established that the 97 is non VANOS, unfortunately it is also not a full ACS Demon, body kit badges and MSpec suspension. Still sexy but not unicorn rare

A rare 540 is like a rare strain of herpes. No-one wants it anymore than regular herpes.

• Like 2

Both good cars, no doubt about it. (At least, if they are in equivalently good condition!)

The ACS would be rarer if it was a full cream ACS, but... Well, which is in better condition? Which colour do you like more?

I'm going to look at the MSpec and Mr. Window smasher is looking at the AC. Will make a D by tuesday.

Both are the same colour and trim options. Vanos or no Vanos, that is the question. Aparently the Mspec has had a custom tune by prior owner also... who knows, one of those things hard to verify

had a look on trademe and found the AC 540i. priced just under 7k. i think its way too overpriced given the kms.

there are people on here who have managed to score 1997 540i's for as cheap as 3k with minimal work that needed doing.

i would either spend 7-10k on a nice 2001-2003 540i with full msport and lower kms than buy that AC one.

in saying that, the AC one is very well advertised with great pics and a decent description which makes the car seem better than it (probably) actually is.

I'm going to look at the MSpec and Mr. Window smasher is looking at the AC. Will make a D by tuesday.

Both are the same colour and trim options. Vanos or no Vanos, that is the question. Aparently the Mspec has had a custom tune by prior owner also... who knows, one of those things hard to verify

If the vanos and chain guides have been done than the M spec all the way, otherwise the non-vanos will present the smaller bills in the future.... However, that's just the engine. If they're both on original m-spec suspension, a lot... and I mean A LOT... of money will need to be spent in the nearish future on maintenance. For example, the m-sport shocks aren't cheap and will be nearing the end of their useful life, plus control arms, tie rods, track rod, etc, etc... None of which respond well to being replaced with cheap aftermarket bits.

I love E39s and have owned a couple and my sage advice is find out exactly what work has been done and when before you make a decision on either of them... And since it's not a genuine Schnitzer it's not rare and nor is the motorsport so neither's going to accumulate in the foreseeable ever.

If you want a rare one, save up for an M5. You won't regret it.

• Like 1

I think the trouble is that the seller of the AC beleives it to be full spec, i don't think he is trying to mislead anyone maliciously either.

I'm not going to pay 6.9k i don't think, but I'm not going to irritate him by pointing out what it isn't...

If its the black one on TM, i'd take a good condition MSport one over that anyday. That is really just a dressed up boring spec one. It has factory sport suspension and thats really about it.

For those following this, in the end I decided the answer was M5 B)

• Like 6

For those following this, in the end I decided the answer was M5 B)

That is the correct answer :P