Apex

Quick rant thread.

Why do such a huge proportion of cars have black interiors?
Hoping to be starting a new job soon. It's going to mean a long-ish 200km round-trip commute , so something economical, comfortable, and perhaps a little interesting is being researched. (The 500SE fits 2 out of 3, but really is not suitable!)

I'm balancing service costs and RUCs for diesels against likely better economy.

But almost everything I have seen which looks vaguely interesting has a black, anthracite, dark grey or similar interior. I don't want white, but something a little less dark would be nice!

(Disappointed that I missed a Mercedes CLK320 CDi with tan leather,,,)

quit whining, buy sheepskin seat covers, sorted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I assume you are 70+? 😉

Has to be a dark interior for me. I quite like this terracotta interior my E87 has. But I am so glad the Merc is black. 

I've had grey before in my E46 and it was like it was always slightly dirty no matter how much I cleaned it. Had tan in my E39 and it felt dated and grubby, especially because it also had tan carpets and dash. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gjm said:

I don't want white, but something a little less dark would be nice!

Ive always liked 80's German blue interiors. Some balance between light and dark and something different.

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

I've had grey before in my E46 and it was like it was always slightly dirty no matter how much I cleaned it. Had tan in my E39 and it felt dated and grubby, especially because it also had tan carpets and dash

Grey is just really depressing to me, many cars i never bought due to that. My E39 tan\beige interior was nice but had the black dash and other trim pieces which balanced it out a bit. Worst looking interior when worn and dirty like most Nissan Tidia driving around

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 10:37 AM, gjm said:

Why do such a huge proportion of cars have black interiors?
Hoping to be starting a new job soon. It's going to mean a long-ish 200km round-trip commute , so something economical, comfortable, and perhaps a little interesting is being researched. (The 500SE fits 2 out of 3, but really is not suitable!)

I'm balancing service costs and RUCs for diesels against likely better economy.

But almost everything I have seen which looks vaguely interesting has a black, anthracite, dark grey or similar interior. I don't want white, but something a little less dark would be nice!

(Disappointed that I missed a Mercedes CLK320 CDi with tan leather,,,)

If you want to go real cheap and colorful look out for a 306 diesel, they are likley the cheapest car to run available, talking over 1000km per 60L tank, have comfortable (sometimes colorful) seats and are really really fun to drive if there are corners involved. 

200km commute sounds punishing.

Edited by Apex
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 9:42 AM, Apex said:

If you want to go real cheap and colorful look out for a 306 diesel, they are likley the cheapest car to run available, talking over 1000km per 60L tank, have comfortable (sometimes colorful) seats and are really really fun to drive if there are corners involved. 

200km commute sounds punishing.

I've worked in Auckland and Wellington, and found it can take an hour (sometimes more) to get into work. This is only a little more than that although I'd be driving, not riding a train or similar. And it's likely to be 3-4 days a week, not 5, so there are compensations.

Virtually zero corners of significance for 90% of the trip, but a 306D is certainly the 'right' price. ;) I used to drive a 405SRDT - great car.

• Like 1

How?! 😭

IMG_0624(1).JPG

Edit: I just noticed it's plastic - the brown colour deceived me.

Edited by E63

Pretty common. 

Covid. My first time. Most sick I have been since meningitis as a kid. Avoid sitting next to clearly sick tourist families on the interislander.

• Sad 3

11 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Covid. My first time. Most sick I have been since meningitis as a kid. Avoid sitting next to clearly sick tourist families on the interislander.

• Like 2

Seems to be making a bit of a comeback recently, quite a few people I know have come down with it recently, and pretty bad cases as well.

Good job I’m a miserable git the doesn’t like talking to people.

• Like 1

I was lucky - I've had Covid once. Some folk I know have had it 2 or 3 times.

I was laid flat, sleeping, for one day. Every day after that I felt noticeably better, back to whatever passes for normal after 5 days.

As Jon said - seems to be on a return. And seems to be worse for those who are getting it this time. :sick:

On 12/5/2023 at 4:19 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Seems to be making a bit of a comeback recently, quite a few people I know have come down with it recently, and pretty bad cases as well.

Good job I’m a miserable git the doesn’t like talking to people.

I've also heard a decent wave is coming through. And it is brutal. Wife and I are still fighting it over a week since first positive. 

• Sad 1

On 12/5/2023 at 5:21 PM, gjm said:

I was lucky - I've had Covid once. Some folk I know have had it 2 or 3 times.

I was laid flat, sleeping, for one day. Every day after that I felt noticeably better, back to whatever passes for normal after 5 days.

As Jon said - seems to be on a return. And seems to be worse for those who are getting it this time. :sick:

Yeah that's pretty much me the first time - 1.5 day of no energy then mostly fine. This time (if it was covid) was flu symptoms for nearly 1 week, the first 3 days being the worst. Now after 2 weeks still feel like i have impaired lungs. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, kwhelan said:

its almost like your immune system is weakened,, hmmm

its almost like your immune system is weakened... hmmmmn

IMG-1477.JPG

back in Kiwiland after a month long holiday, damn i wish the holiday was longer. :balloon deflating: 

Edited by lord_jagganath

14 hours ago, lord_jagganath said:

back in Kiwiland after a month long holiday, damn i wish the holiday was longer. :balloon deflating: 

I found deleting all social media and not having a TV helps... Also, once you get out of main big cities life improves substantially. 

Aside from being on holiday itself, I would be interested to hear about what is better in other countries though. (have travelled the world and noted pro's and cons)

At this point Australia is the only country I would consider moving too, and that based purely on earning 20% more and paying 20% less to live.   

31 minutes ago, Apex said:

once you get out of main big cities life improves substantially. 

Aside from being on holiday itself, I would be interested to hear about what is better in other countries though. (have travelled the world and noted pro's and cons)

At this point Australia is the only country I would consider moving too, and that based purely on earning 20% more and paying 20% less to live.   

Yup. Live in a quieter environment. :thumbs-up:

Oz does have its downsides. If it moves, it can probably kill you. In fact, some of the vegetation that doesn't move won't do you any favours.

Still, id rather it animals than humans. 

The amount of guns in América scares me more, or the automatic weapons Police carry everywhere in France,  or the people sitting in windows on quiet streets in Brussels and hand signaling each other.. or being followed for 6 blocks by Somalians everywhere in Italy.

Safety is something we take for granted here in NZ, it seems a majority are upset because someone has some colours on and uses bad language, or a 13 year old does a wheely past on a dirt bike or ram raids a shop that sells tobaco, vapes and meth pipes... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apex said:

really depends on what you want out of life. the sheer bustle of people in Kuala Lumpur was invigorating for me, I lost nearly 10kgs in weight, skin become better, breathing easier ( no hayfever) . But that's just me. 

• Like 1

Good for you! Maybe getting active and eating less processed foods was the key, cant say I have ever lost weight geographically other than a dose of food poisoning or some people get gastric bypasses abroad.

Did you explore further than KL? I spent a month there in 2015 and was awesome, the roads into the highlands were nice, way better than here, and that’s ironic when you look at their poverty rate vs ours. Its just a shame they really only have Protons.

Also visited (one of) the worlds oldest rain forests, Taman Negara and hang out with their aboriginal people, was humbling. 

I found KL is almost a country in itself, like Singapore is, the rest of Malaysia is so different, no alcohol for example as everyone is Muslim. 

^ should have mentioned it was a long delayed trip to my hometown for me, so not much exploration here. definitely had a focus on the urban areas as visiting friends and relatives. I did do a trip to drink toddy and consume wildboar/ monitor lizard/ venison curries in a rural visit. 

8 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

^ should have mentioned it was a long delayed trip to my hometown for me, so not much exploration here. definitely had a focus on the urban areas as visiting friends and relatives. I did do a trip to drink toddy and consume wildboar/ monitor lizard/ venison curries in a rural visit. 

Oh cool, its a underrated place for sure, most people just stay in the airport. I think it may be a while before Monitor Lizard curry is available in Auckland?

Did you go to the Zoo? Was probably the best Zoo I have ever been too, mainly because they let you into the enclosures and I had the chance to see a white tiger up close.. and Speaking of Lizards, there was one enclosure that had us standing next to a Comodo dragon, I was scared. 

Glad you had a good trip, and you are right with the lack of vibrance, Kiwi's seem to mostly occupied with what their house is worth and then never leaving it unless they are going to a shopping mall or McDonalds. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Apex said:

Glad you had a good trip, and you are right with the lack of vibrance, Kiwi's seem to mostly occupied with what their house is worth and then never leaving it unless they are going to a shopping mall or McDonalds. 

Too many, often vocal, Kiwis have no idea just how good it is here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1