Sign in to follow this  
gjm

First car for Miss M (aged 15, going on 20).

pretty easy, rear in a normal E36 is upgraded to multilink, but the compact has old trailing arms from the E30 still

Andy

Was thinking more http://www1.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-871338684.htm than early e36 . Only M3s had higher interior spec.

But your probably right about value / costs

That's really quite nice.

The E30 is still a solid well made car - look at what they take on the race track. Albeit in a "controlled" environment. Nothing wrong with the M40 engine either.

Another option, i have recommended to many parents looking for a first car for kids, - a P10 or P11 Primera.

If a previously well maintained car - they are absolutely bullet proof & totally reliable. Also a reasonable sized car.

The E30 is still a solid well made car - look at what they take on the race track. Albeit in a "controlled" environment. Nothing wrong with the M40 engine either.

This build of E30s (and other German cars of that age) is a factor. Many cars from Japan of that era feel like they're made of tin foil and tissue paper.

• Like 1

Personally, I would not let my kids drive a car without ABS and airbags - yes I know the knockers will say 'teach them to drive properly' but why would you not want the safest thing for them?

I helped my son buy his first car - a Starlet with ABS and Airbag, glad I did, he had 2 accidents, one major - car was written off, he was fine - not sure how safe an E30 would be ?

He then bought a E36 with airbags - no accidents in that one thankfully :)

100% agree. I put my son in a Celica. Nek minute, up a bank into a tree stump. Thank goodness for the safety features.

We may be looking at an E36 318i manual coupe...

Miss M much prefers the E30, or even an E28. More hipster. Much harder to find a decent one at the right price.

Stick with the e30, no safety bits but a good solid car and i bet everyone on here drives a little bit more carefully when they are in a car without abs, dsc, srs, etc. Otherwise i can recommend an e34, see profile pic!!

I never drive carefully.

This was my first car. No ABS, relatively low speed but middle of the night and pitch black with no road markers or corners signs, this was the 90's, haha, tight right hander just jumped out at me, hit the brakes and locked up instantly, car went straight... rolled 7 times, can still hear the crashes. Good fun. Worst thing was that my olds made me drive that horrible Commodore after that... oh and I had to get my ear sewn back on... but the Commodore was worse than the ear.

11188431_10152952646533878_4961856040428

E36 would be the one, its job is a) protection and B) getting her from a to b. This means it has the E30 beat

Edit- ^^^ oh my... good job!

Edited by Kopua Cowboy

Umm... Found a very nice 318iS. Huuuge spec.

How good is the M42?

How good is the M42?

Good enough :lol:B)

How good is the M42?

Actually, they're the "profile gasket" engine, but most have probably been done by now, I'd guess.

Actually, they're the "profile gasket" engine, but most have probably been done by now, I'd guess.

If we were to get this one, I'll probably be driving it for the next few months. Better it breaks with me behind the wheel.

Of course, Miss isn't allowed to drive yet. ;)

• Like 1

This one is a March/April 1995 car, so shouldn't be affected by the profile gasket - I think that applied to cars with M42 engines made before 11/93 (E30s and E36s). Of course, they may have had an engine sitting in a crate for 18 months...

• Like 1

whats your approx budget ?

My first car was a Honda civic. 2nd to 9th car were BMWs. 10th car Nissan primary 11th car Toyota Supra 12th car Mazda Atenza 13th to 15th BMW again. Nephew who has just turned 18 bought his first car 2 years ago, 1987 318i and loves it.

Call it personal preference if you will, but BMWs seem to offer a lot more the other makes do.

whats your approx budget ?

Up to $2k, but preferably less.

We missed a fairly rough-looking but solid and rust-free E30 318 manual (M10 engine), but may be looking at an E36 318is coupe this weekend.

Manual is very much preferred - we'd like her to learn to drive properly! If she then decides she wants an auto that's fine, but she'll not be restricted in the future.

Mechanical work is acceptable, but significant bodywork not so much (unless the price is right).

• Like 1

Up to $2k, but preferably less.

We missed a fairly rough-looking but solid and rust-free E30 318 manual (M10 engine), but may be looking at an E36 318is coupe this weekend.

Manual is very much preferred - we'd like her to learn to drive properly! If she then decides she wants an auto that's fine, but she'll not be restricted in the future.

Mechanical work is acceptable, but significant bodywork not so much (unless the price is right).

My 318is has been brilliant, i have just done the timing chain tensioner, no major, and it is a great little drivers car. They are going for next to nothing at the moment too.

My daughter ( 11 months old ) is going to be getting my E30 Touring as her first car.

• Like 1

Have a friend looking to sell her 2000 Volkswagen Polo in a month or so, IIRC 1500cc, manual, done 190k, she was looking for high 2's? Could be an option.

Edited by Brams