Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

Found my Holy Grail.

I've wanted to post about this for over a week now but didn't want to put it out there that this car was avaliable for tender. So I've been very impatiently waiting for the tender process to finish. lol

Over 2 years of searching and I had given up hope and was in the process of buying a wrecked 750il so I could build my dream car. A E38 750i

I found my donor car on a Turners wrecked/end of life car auction.A 98 750il with bad frontal damage.

Then I thought I'd have a look at what other BMW's they had up for auction and OMG, guess what I found.

My dream car. The elusive 750i.

Considering that between 1998 and 2001 there were only 1032 750i's produced I really never thought I'd find one in NZ.

So today it was confirmed I was the winning tender so I can shout out to everyone about my new toy.

I now have to be even more patient as the cars in Hamilton and I'm not. Have to wait till my next days off work which isn't till next Wed. So so far away.

I dont have pic's at the moment but can post up the Turners listing.

The car doesn't run and has the ugliest interrior color I've seen. lol.. The motor was running when taken there. They just cant start it now so I'm not too concerned. And I can always change the interior to a more suitable color..ha ha.

https://www.turners.co.nz/Cars/Search/BMW/750i/13961577/

I'll take some pics when I pick it up and edit this post then.

I'm also going to start a thread in the projects section for those interested and to keep a record for myself of the work that will be done.

First up will no doubt be to get it running. Then a thorough grooming will be in store. After that I think it'll be new suspension all round. It's sitting stock at the moment so I'll definately want it a bit lower at the front. Oh. Not to forget the interior color change. That blue will do my head in..lol

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 4

Guest MP0wer

I always wanted one of those, but then thought a 5 series would be better, many of the 7 series ones from that time were from singpore I am told, which should be avoided, but really great cars, shame they go so cheap.

I always wanted one of those, but then thought a 5 series would be better, many of the 7 series ones from that time were from singpore I am told, which should be avoided, but really great cars, shame they go so cheap.

My 740i is a Singapore import and it's now at 230,00km. I've done 40,000 of those and other than routine maintinance it's been trouble free motoring.

The 750i I just bought is NZ new. I really cant wait to get my hands on it..lol

There are massive changes between 1995 and 1999 cars in all departments with electrical e38,e39,x5 architectures. My advice first is to make sure you can work out whats running properly in the car first. Then when you migrate everything over you can be assured its going to work in your current car.
Also the EWS system will be quite different and as will the key, Tom will be able to help you with that or there are OEM ways to do key alignments if you want to keep it OEM. You may be looking at swapping out the locks and steering lock setup as well.

the IKE,DME,GM,LKM,EWS,ABS are some of the main modules youll need to consider .. probably more. I havent worked on the v12 electronics before in this architecture.

There are massive changes between 1995 and 1999 cars in all departments with electrical e38,e39,x5 architectures. My advice first is to make sure you can work out whats running properly in the car first. Then when you migrate everything over you can be assured its going to work in your current car.

Also the EWS system will be quite different and as will the key, Tom will be able to help you with that or there are OEM ways to do key alignments if you want to keep it OEM. You may be looking at swapping out the locks and steering lock setup as well.

the IKE,DME,GM,LKM,EWS,ABS are some of the main modules youll need to consider .. probably more. I havent worked on v12 electronics before.

Not sure if you read my entire post? lol

No need for swaps now as the car I purchased is a genuine 750i shortie.

Edited by kulgan

its great to own one e38 but now you have TWO and one is a NZ NEW 750i not iL. great find and really glad its going to a good home!

that blue interior though.....

• Like 2

its great to own one e38 but now you have TWO and one is a NZ NEW 750i not iL. great find and really glad its going to a good home!

that blue interior though.....

Oh I know. Never seen that blue in a BMW before. I've already started looking online for a replacement interior. I still have the option of buying the wrecked 750il which has a super nice tan interior. I'd still need to find new read door cards ofcourse but that'd be a minor inconvenience.

Edited by kulgan

I imagine seats wouldnt be too much of a problem but its the other parts like console etc that might be harder to find.

is there any way to get it refabricated or dyed black somehow?

i would think black interior would look much better on a silver car than tan which looks good on black or green cars IMO.

• Like 1

Well done Dave.

I thought, how could an E38 have ugly interior?

You're not wrong though - that is pretty horrendous!

I'm sure Brent might have a full E38 interior in other colours so he could be a good source there. Big job but so is most car work!

• Like 1

Cheers guys. The biggest issue for me is staying true to the 750 and getting the true leather stiched dash and center console. Thats why I'll probably have to buy a 750il interior and just get the shorter rear door cards from a i(shorty)as well.

that leather stitched dash and console is really special isnt it.

just looked thru the picture again and i gotta say, those are some crap photos by whoever took them.

Nice buy, looking forward to the project thread.

But that interior.....

• Like 1

Not sure if you read my entire post? lol

No need for swaps now as the car I purchased is a genuine 750i shortie.

I did skim read your post and missed the il and i bits. Sweet, just change the interior over and done.

how much did you pay if you don't mind

how much did you pay if you don't mind

Thats part of the reason I didn't post about this when first saw it. I stole it. All up less than 2K. Dont hate me too much..lol

hey I have just stripped a 2001 740i with black interior ,nz new and only had 150ks

have removed most parts .

but there are still some bits that I wont be , like carpet and console stuff in black

if you where quick before the scrap metal man picks up tomorrow afternoon .

pics here

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/50727-2001-740i-e38-parts-car-new-stock-at-bm-world/?hl=740i

cheers brent

• Like 1

hey I have just stripped a 2001 740i with black interior ,nz new and only had 150ks

have removed most parts .

but there are still some bits that I wont be , like carpet and console stuff in black

if you where quick before the scrap metal man picks up tomorrow afternoon .

pics here

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/50727-2001-740i-e38-parts-car-new-stock-at-bm-world/?hl=740i

cheers brent

Cheers Brent. I appreciate the offer and if I was in Auckland I'd be around there now with spanners and a torch but I'm in Wanganui so it's just not possible.

Thanks again though.

ok if you pay I can remove the carpet

Good to see someone is going to rescue the poor thing. Hate seeing these cars fall into disrepair.

• Like 1

I still have the option of buying the wrecked 750il which has a super nice tan interior.

I thought you wanted some NICER than the blue??? :blink:

• Like 1

There is nothing better than finding the car you really wanted. That story you can tell for the rest of your life and it will put a smile on your face every time.

I think the E38 is probably the most handsome of all the modern bmw's. The interiors I think are some of the best I have ever seen from the factory as well.

post-3677-0-47535100-1430307737.jpg

I am sure you will do something fitting for the V12. Check this out!

• Like 1

I thought you wanted some NICER than the blue??? :blink:

Did you see that Blue? Anythings going to be better than that.. lol

should make an offer on the interior for this car

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/52675-random-e38-damage/#entry568266

Thats just sad. Looks like it was someones pride and joy too.

There is nothing better than finding the car you really wanted. That story you can tell for the rest of your life and it will put a smile on your face every time.

I think the E38 is probably the most handsome of all the modern bmw's. The interiors I think are some of the best I have ever seen from the factory as well.

attachicon.gifimagesCA8OZ9CK.jpg

I am sure you will do something fitting for the V12. Check this out!

Thanks. I agree wholeheartedly. I luv everything about the E38.