I have a 2001 330ci with 109k's up for grabs if you need ,

needs a repaint (someone took to it with a few rattle cans) :(

was sapphire black ..

have some replacement black panels and bumpers etc

, has wof and reg.

drives fine

What the f*ck!? Who would do that.

• Like 1

Hmmmm I can see the LS1 as a good option. They are a popular engine for a reason

But I've always felt they seem a little pricey on the market because of the popularity.

From what I've seen a half cut package is on average $6000 for a 350hp/490nm LS1, That makes for $17.5 per HP and $12.2 per NM

Where as the 3UZ V8 half cuts seem to float around $4000 for a 320hp/430nm engine, making for $12.5 per HP and $9.3 per NM

On the flip side, I know Toyota engines well, what to expect with , the wiring and fueling aspects so they are an easier choice. Not the most powerful, but easier :)

• Like 2

Something with an m67?

Hmmmm I can see the LS1 as a good option. They are a popular engine for a reason

But I've always felt they seem a little pricey on the market because of the popularity.

From what I've seen a half cut package is on average $6000 for a 350hp/490nm LS1, That makes for $17.5 per HP and $12.2 per NM

Where as the 3UZ V8 half cuts seem to float around $4000 for a 320hp/430nm engine, making for $12.5 per HP and $9.3 per NM

On the flip side, I know Toyota engines well, what to expect with , the wiring and fueling aspects so they are an easier choice. Not the most powerful, but easier :)

I guess if your going to look at it like that then you could pick up a later E39 540 for about $5k. 300hp/420-440 NM for bugger all after selling what you dont need.

And as long as you got the right car it would be more or less plug and play electronics wise into an E46. I'm thinking a sedan with no ski hatch or sunroof for max ridgy didgy.

You'd still need to source a gbox if you want manual and relocate oil pump but it's all achievable.

• Like 1

I picked up a 540i dirt cheap, after wrecking it i made a profit and got to keep the engine.

• Like 2

Get an E65 and put a Toyota 2C-T in it.

That would be the sh*t!

Oh. No wait, I meant that would BE sh*t.

... with a cracked head.

Get an E65 and put a Toyota 2C-T in it.

That would be the sh*t!

Oh. No wait, I meant that would BE sh*t.

... with a cracked head.

the answer is always no to E65

• Like 3

I guess if your going to look at it like that then you could pick up a later E39 540 for about $5k. 300hp/420-440 NM for bugger all after selling what you dont need.

And as long as you got the right car it would be more or less plug and play electronics wise into an E46. I'm thinking a sedan with no ski hatch or sunroof for max ridgy didgy.

You'd still need to source a gbox if you want manual and relocate oil pump but it's all achievable.

Yeah it's quite a logical idea.

That engine seems to have mixed opinions out there though. I thought about playing with them but a few guys were saying no way, don't bother. (including a couple of BMW mechanics)

What have you done to the M62 you put into your red E30? The usual preventative maintenance?

Edited by Michael.

An oil change and resealed the cam covers, but only cause I took them off to paint. Oh and disassembled the starter and cleaned it out. Had a bit of a noise...

Anyway, has about 270000 ks on and seems strong as a, um, strong thing.

No idea on history of repairs though as nothing came with the car (it was only $1600). It's not the tu engine mind.

• Like 2

Yeah it's quite a logical idea.

That engine seems to have mixed opinions out there though. I thought about playing with them but a few guys were saying no way, don't bother. (including a couple of BMW mechanics)

What have you done to the M62 you put into your red E30? The usual preventative maintenance?

Its about $600-$700 in parts to do the timing guide rails etc incl chains etc. Easy to do while the engine is out, and going to last another 250,000Km. The engine you get might not even have any problems.

I don't see the problem with that.

Its about $600-$700 in parts to do the timing guide rails etc incl chains etc. Easy to do while the engine is out, and going to last another 250,000Km. The engine you get might not even have any problems.

I don't see the problem with that.

True I agree. But there's also the dodgy coolant reservoirs that like to leak in the valley of the block to reseal. Brittle plastic cooling parts need replacing, oil pump bolts loosening too or was that an M60 issue?

All add to additional repair work that a Toyota V8 doesn't require.

I had a chat with one particular ex BMW mechanic that strongly advised to not bother with them when I looked into possibly changing the existing 1UZ in my E36.

Prior to I was quite interested in them and went as far as borrowing an M62 and heads from Ray to draw up on CAD for some comparisons to my 1UZ arrangement. Seems they heads are a bit wider than the 1UZ otherwise much the same overall. I never finished drawing it up as it felt like a dead end with what the mechanic had to say. Even Glenn shared similar comments if I recall correctly.

I think if you're doing a swap you would get rid of the plastic reservoir and other plastic coolant parts. Loctite the oil pump bolts (not sure its even an issue). You hear about all these issues on the forums from a handful of people, but there is still tens of thousands around without issues.

I think if you're doing a swap you would get rid of the plastic reservoir and other plastic coolant parts. Loctite the oil pump bolts (not sure its even an issue). You hear about all these issues on the forums from a handful of people, but there is still tens of thousands around without issues.

Someone on a US forum did a mod on the cooling system with all metal parts and his e39 was running at 30 degree lower temp, probably not ideal...

Someone on a US forum did a mod on the cooling system with all metal parts and his e39 was running at 30 degree lower temp, probably not ideal...

Don't see how. No matter how good your cooling system is, if your thermostat is closed the engine is going to get hot. Must of been something wrong with his setup. My M50 has not plastic coolant parts at all and it runs no cooler.

Unless he was talking Fahrenheit, then that would be reasonble /alright.

Edited by polley

dont forget somethings get blown out of proportion on the internet.

The V8 rattly chain guides i have seen enough of that i know its a fact, but other things you really need to question. every engine (and car for that matter) ever built by any manufactuter is a piece of crap if you read enough.

• Like 5

Interesting stuff.

I think I should have mentioned the whole joint of a project is to center it around using a good reliable, well proven engine, I believe using a car like an E46 just gives it a good handling, and well styled shell to run in.

Using something with a varied track record like an M62 would bring the whole thing down in my opinion, yes its nice to keep it OEM, but when there are better options it seems foolish.

LS3 LSX or what ever they call them , 500-600Nm plus should be fun :)

into a e46

Should you us a e46 body then increase the hp/ torque. Don't forget the extra $$$ for reinforcing work required in the rear sub frame.

Should you us a e46 body then increase the hp/ torque. Don't forget the extra $$$ for reinforcing work required in the rear sub frame.

Yeah for sure. I think it ended up being a few hundred dollars to do my E36s subframe mountings, including the rear trailing arm socket plates.

Although from what I've seen E46s fail in a slightly different way.

I love this guy. What a character. Anal retentive to the 10th degree.

Scroll to 2.34 when it get's driven properly

I particularly like how the rev counter goes into the economy gauge. Such irony.

• Like 1

Much as I love E31s and am keen to encourage new owners to share knowledge etc, it's not a project car, it's a mistress! You don't get it to modify and it'll be expensive to maintain. But the weekend rides make it all worthwhile! With your skillet and innovation, Mike, I reckon the E46 is your best bet. If it's for track then the coupe if for fun then the touring. Either way you get a timeless car that's new enough that parts are cheap and the aftermarket parts market is massive. Unlike any of the big V12s. A manual 1uz Msport touring with custom headers and exhaust would be something else!!

• Like 1