Sign in to follow this  
richard

Rumor has it !?

Now I'm not one to spread rumors but have you herd,

The new toyota Hilux is powered by a 4L twin turbo .............wait for it.

BMW diesel.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

• Like 1

The Turkish-built Verso 1.6 D4-D has had a BMW engine for a couple of years, the same engine as used in the Mini Cooper.

The rumours of a 4-cylinder diesel in the HIlux started in late 2013, but there have been plenty of others including a tie-up with Cummins.

detuned somewhat surely toyota arent going to have a 230 kw 3l twin turbo hilux!

heard about that yeap

probably a fringe of the Supra/Z4 deal

Well they need something decent in there. Modern diesels aren't the Japs strong point.

We have Hilux/Prado at work and how these D4D can be sold for over 60 grand these days is a bloody joke. Thirsty gutless things that should have been retired 10 years ago when they debuted.

• Like 1

^^^^^ Yup- Euro Diesel technology is streets ahead of Japan. Has been for years.

Well they need something decent in there. Modern diesels aren't the Japs strong point.

We have Hilux/Prado at work and how these D4D can be sold for over 60 grand these days is a bloody joke. Thirsty gutless things that should have been retired 10 years ago when they debuted.

60 grand? Those glorified hiluxes start at 70 grand ,dont evn ask about how much the VX goes for .Agree re the diesels my little 120d is streets ahead of my current diesel

This was part of the technology swapping deal announced a few years back, which also includes the 'sports car' Supra / Z4 development work as well.

BMW supply diesel engine tech to Toyota in exchange for hydrogen-fuel cell tech from them, plus engineers collaborating on a number of projects.

You can expect to see the diesels (and versions / parts of) coming through on other Toyota models as well.

• Like 1

This was part of the technology swapping deal announced a few years back, which also includes the 'sports car' Supra / Z4 development work as well.

BMW supply diesel engine tech to Toyota in exchange for hydrogen-fuel cell tech from them, plus engineers collaborating on a number of projects.

You can expect to see the diesels (and versions / parts of) coming through on other Toyota models as well.

I think there was some lithium/air battery tech involved, too?

Interesting. Where is some data / pictures of this engine combination?

I thought the latest Hilux was just going to be using sub 3L turbo diesels from Toyotas departments.

The beauty of the Hilux is, its still a simple truck.. drive one with 300,000km on it, it will still feel solid. And as gutless as they are, they can tow all day no fuss.

And.. ask a driver of a high millage euro diesel how much his new fuel pump cost him when it f**ked out.

I would still take a Hilux over any ute, they are just built better than anything else.

• Like 1

Think going cummins and so is Nissan I think

Edited by HaNs

Apex, that isn't specific to only Euro stuff.

Check out some of the oz 4wd/touring forums of fuel contamination and the 10s of thousands $$$ worth of damage on anything common rail. The old man used to work at Holden/Hyundai dealer in wgtn and they sponsored the netball team several years ago with a Santa Fe, water in fuel, bill close to 20 grand, common rail pump injectors high pressure lines labour etc.

Polley...

post-51851-0-05201700-1431693805.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah there is the 12v71 which is a monster. I just think the 8v92 sounded so good, especially when marinised and having wet exhausts. Super charged, twin turbo.

Either way, I think 2 strokes are so cool, especially diesel 2 strokes.

• Like 1

A template for the next Hilux

The beauty of the Hilux is, its still a simple truck.. drive one with 300,000km on it, it will still feel solid. And as gutless as they are, they can tow all day no fuss.

And.. ask a driver of a high millage euro diesel how much his new fuel pump cost him when it f**ked out.

I would still take a Hilux over any ute, they are just built better than anything else.

Ask a modern hilux owner how much their 3rd set of fuel injectors cost them 1 year out of warranty....

Hmm, not sure there is going to be a BMW engine in this version, maybe only in certain (Euro VI markets)?

And I think the 4 ltr diesel mentioned is the 40d engine, which is still only a 3 ltr but is twin turbo, a bit confusing!

And I think the 4 ltr diesel mentioned is the 40d engine, which is still only a 3 ltr but is twin turbo, a bit confusing!

lol

Try the cost of a DPF on a bmw diesel then complain..,

Really? Ask a Hilux owner how many sets of injectors and clutches his Hilux has had, and how much THEY cost! Neighbours Hilux had a total of 9 injectors and 2 replacement clutches. Under warranty. With the piss-ass amount of power they make, they shouldn't have much trouble!

A mate who is a heavy diesel service manager sold his personal one (hos wife actually drove it 90% of the time) with WELL under 100K (I think it was 65K) because the warranty time was expiring, and the warranty repairs so far had been close to $15K if he'd had to pay for them!

Have you SEEN the price of genuine Toyota parts? Makes Euros look quite acceptable!

Just wait till the new X5 come out with a factory installed cracked head.

Then we know they've swaped diesel technology both ways :D

• Like 1

Ask a modern hilux owner how much their 3rd set of fuel injectors cost them 1 year out of warranty....

I sold mine with a set of new injectors, its 3rd set, only done 200000km, cost me 2200 bucks.

But it was a 2006 one of the early ones, If you replace the rubber gromit that the injectors sit in, at $4 each when you do a service they last a little longer so the toyota service agent said.

But as a work truck for towing and carring tools and materals around, great.

Apex, that isn't specific to only Euro stuff.

Check out some of the oz 4wd/touring forums of fuel contamination and the 10s of thousands $$$ worth of damage on anything common rail. The old man used to work at Holden/Hyundai dealer in wgtn and they sponsored the netball team several years ago with a Santa Fe, water in fuel, bill close to 20 grand, common rail pump injectors high pressure lines labour etc.

Polley...

No. I hear the Ford Rangers can be a PITA too.

The Hilux I use is at 150,000km and has never had an issue, must have been a good one.

I have only used it to tow my race car, have driven it as far as the bottom of the south island and back and it was bullet proof, sure it is a bit gutless but it is solid as a rock in every way.

The Hilux has for the first time in history lost its place as the number 1 selling ute recently so it is well time for a new one. I look forward to it.