Sign in to follow this  
Guest MP0wer

Compressed OEM Springs? Cant find aftermarket springs.

Guest MP0wer

Anybody here had any experience with compressed springs? It will make my cars handling worse? Wasn't able to find any aftermarket springs to lower the E34. I contacted Jamex to hopefully hear back, not even sure what type of springs would be adequate, asked some one in trademe who offered to Install some Cobra/Dobi something springs but for the price I might aswell order from ebay USA. So was thinking of having the springs compressed as an alternative,

Depends how much lower you want to go. H&R do two spring kits suitable for a 525i - p/n 29672-1 and 60672-1.

• Like 1

Lots of aftermarket kits for e34s. If you compress check with a proper spring fabricator as results can be mixed. It's also illegal without a cert. in most cases a custom spring will be best but I am compressing my rear springs as the e31 options are limited. Only a small change (less than 20mm). More than that can adversely affect performance. That said, OE bimmer springs are v. good and minor compression can sometimes yield better results than aftermarket springs. Do your research and check with your certifier!!

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

Lots of aftermarket kits for e34s. If you compress check with a proper spring fabricator as results can be mixed. It's also illegal without a cert. in most cases a custom spring will be best but I am compressing my rear springs as the e31 options are limited. Only a small change (less than 20mm). More than that can adversely affect performance. That said, OE bimmer springs are v. good and minor compression can sometimes yield better results than aftermarket springs. Do your research and check with your certifier!!

Jules - 29583-1? 25-30mm drop front and back, but the price is a little exciting. Over EUR 500. :(

E34 parts are much cheaper. Well under EUR 200.

(Prices plus shipping, etc)

Guest MP0wer

Thanks Julian, So where are you getting yours done in Auckland and how much is it? I will be coming through Auckland anyway so might as well get it done at the right place. Do I need booking? The car in question is here http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/52989-i-stole-an-e34/

I originally wanted a drop of at least 1.5 "- 2" (keeping the stock wheels for now)

I'd suggest looking at custom springs for a big drop like that. Compressing that much will likely compromise the spring performance too much to be safe and comfortable. I'm using Archer's in Takinini. Bear in mind if you're compressing they'll need the springs for a couple of days.

Jules - 29583-1? 25-30mm drop front and back, but the price is a little exciting. Over EUR 500. :(

I've already got Eibachs which are allegedly 35mm front and rear over stock. Is that an OE part number?

I've already got Eibachs which are allegedly 35mm front and rear over stock. Is that an OE part number?

H&R - http://www.h-r.com/bin/29583.pdf

General consensus on the e31 H&R springs is that there is little difference over stock ride height. Lots of disappointed 8er owners that bought them!

Edited by jeffbebe

Guest MP0wer

Anybody had experience with Dobi low Sport springs? Forund a shop on trademe and offered me $375 a set delivered! Guy also has shocks!

General consensus on the e31 H&R springs is that there is little difference over stock ride height. Lots of disappointed 8er owners that bought them!

Hmm. Sad. :(

Lots of positive results on Mercs and other BMWs. Past performance no guarantee of future success? Or replacing worn-out and sagging springs that show a saggy lower height with springs designed to ride lower?

Anybody had experience with Dobi low Sport springs? Forund a shop on trademe and offered me $375 a set delivered! Guy also has shocks!

Never 'eard of 'em!

Hmm. Sad. :(

Lots of positive results on Mercs and other BMWs. Past performance no guarantee of future success? Or replacing worn-out and sagging springs that show a saggy lower height with springs designed to ride lower?

Not a massive demand for e31 springs I guess. Only 30k or so cars built over 10 years so probably not much R&D spent in the aftermarket arena. Certainly not much in the way of aftermarket parts for the 8er full stop.

cobra springs in chch can make some

Guest MP0wer

cobra springs in chch can make some

You got Experience with Dobi/Cobras?

yes have cobras in my 540it , have had dobis in the past .

seam ok , best thing to do is get decent shocks to go with them .

bilsteins or koni's etc

Not a massive demand for e31 springs I guess. Only 30k or so cars built over 10 years so probably not much R&D spent in the aftermarket arena. Certainly not much in the way of aftermarket parts for the 8er full stop.

I'd overlooked the number of 8-series built. My brother and I both had one - mine was an 840, his an 850 - and we knew several other people who also owned and drove them. As you do, when you have a specific model.

Our cars were nigh-on stock. I think bruv had some fancy 3-piece rims.

Incidentally, my comment re Dobi and never having heard of them wasn't intended to be detrimental. There's a lot of stuff I've never heard of, including (until we moved here) King springs, for example.

Compressed springs are useless from what I have experienced. Problem with them is that that the engineering company can never guaranty how much the car will lower and they do not increase the spring rate so you will often end up with a car that is too low and too soft. So it essentially f**ks the car... unless you want a low car to impress teenage boys, then they are perfect.

In my experience I would actually prefer cut springs if was going the cheap hory mod route, at least that often results in a stiffer spring rate.

Personally I would not bother even lowering a car unless I was prepared / could afford to do it properly.. i.e. H&R/Eibach and Bilstienlargers

• Like 1

I'd suggest looking at custom springs for a big drop like that. Compressing that much will likely compromise the spring performance too much to be safe and comfortable. I'm using Archer's in Takinini. Bear in mind if you're compressing they'll need the springs for a couple of days.

Just re reading this thread.

I would strongly advise not to go to Archers in Takanini. They managed to wreck a set of springs I planned on fitting to my E30 M325i, I asked for a slight lowering and they come back useless. Literally put the car on its bump stops.

Save up and buy decent suspension. Its worth it.

Don't tell me that! Archer's seemed the most reputable, promising to test the spring rate, etc after compressing. I already have Eibachs in the car and they sit quite high. Not many options for the E31. If they don't work out I'll get some custom springs made.

Don't tell me that! Archer's seemed the most reputable, promising to test the spring rate, etc after compressing. I already have Eibachs in the car and they sit quite high. Not many options for the E31. If they don't work out I'll get some custom springs made.

Reputable. All got was attitude from the "lady" at the counter. I ended up having to buy new springs.. so cost a lot for what was meant to be a cheap mod.

Have you looked at H&R? Keith is the man to talk to, have fitted them in the past with good results.

http://www.hrsprings.com/application/search/results/4/178/1992

DSC00235-1.jpg

DSC00237.jpg

Edited by apex

Reputable. All got was attitude from the "lady" at the counter. I ended up having to buy new springs.. so cost a lot for what was meant to be a cheap mod.

Have you looked at H&R? Keith is the man to talk to, have fitted them in the past with good results.

http://www.hrsprings.com/application/search/results/4/178/1992

Thanks. According to many E31 owners who have used H&Rs they've been disappointed with how similar they were in height to stock, especially the rears. Unfortunately not that many aftermarket options for the E31. The csi rears seem to be the pick of the bunch but difficult to get hold of. If mine don't work out I'll try and get a set made up to the same spec as the csi ones.

Does the CSI have the same shocks? The reason there may not be a lot of drop available is because the car may not work well when lowered too much.

Its a shame you can't get a coil-over for it.