Sign in to follow this  
Kiwi_BMW

E39 540ia - S5

I've been thinking about selling my E39, it is NZ new with 3 private owners and 2 car sales.

This car has been a pleasure to own and the only problem I've had with it (apart from maintenance and servicing) is a fuel pump replacement.

It was delivered new to a businessman in Marlborough, who specially ordered it. Then a few years latter traded (I presume) and another owner got it and sold it to me at 99.000km, and in the last 8 years I've put almost 100k on the clock, so it's now getting close to 200k on the clock.

It still drives great and on my last trip back from Nelson I watch a Porsche Cheyanne almost run off the road trying to keep up with me.

The car was ordered with quite a few options, comfort seat, de chromed, debadged, motorsport options including suspension, and the 6 speed manual amongst other things. After the original owner purchased it the car was sent back to BMW and fitted with a S5 Schnitzer kit, wheels, spoilers, side skirts mirrors, exhaust etc.

So this is quite a unique car and I've been trying to figure out what it's worth....anybody have any idea what a fair price on this would be?

post-52631-0-06923500-1434708525_thumb.j

• Like 3

What year? Looks like a nice tidy example. Have you done suspension? I'd reckon around 15k would be reasonable if it's a minter.

Great looking car. But it is still a PFL 540 with a body kit and wheels at 200,000kms.

Shame it is missing the sports seats. I really missed them in my old 540 and love them in the E60.

I would say 8K. The prices have really bottomed out on E39's and E60's.

Yes in your eyes it maybe a BMW with a body kit, but that's all any Schnitzer BMW is.

But the Schnitzer mods don't only include a body kit, try looking on Schnitzers website for what their mods can include.

At the end of the day this is a unique BMW, being a special ordered BMW 540 with a 6 speed manual and the addition of Schnitzer upgrades fitted by BMW.

4th gear it's a '98 and all the suspension arms have been replaced with genuine BMW arms, if I get sentimental and keep it then I'll end up replacing all bushes, arms and shocks. It has had a new clutch, flywheel and the cam cover gaskets done, radiator, overflow bottle replaced, and new O2 sensors.

Big difference in price 15k - 8k. I see good E39 M5's bring as much as a E60 M5

i was thinking around $10k would be cheap and $12-13k would be a good price for a nice e39 manual

• Like 1

Only way to find out what it's truly worth on the market is to $1 reserve it.

Otherwise put a price on it and see how much interest you get. If you're getting none then it's too expensive.

• Like 2

It will be worth more than any other e 39 bar an m5 to a certain kind of buyer.

• Like 1

At the end of the day this is a unique BMW, being a special ordered BMW 540 with a 6 speed manual and the addition of Schnitzer upgrades fitted by BMW.

Dont disagree,but the market said otherwise when I sold my 535 Edited by kiwi535

I would say driftit has put a realistic figure on it.

End of the day it is an E39 (pre FL to boot). Like the E34, they are pretty much worth nothing, bar the M5 and maybe E34 540is. Low km facelifted 540i Msports seem to command decent money for E39s ($10-12k), but that's about it.

You say it is a rare car. I also see that 540i Touring one owner NZ new w/ 170k on the clock on TM just as rare, but old mate has dropped his price from about $15k back in March to $10900 and it will probably sit there for the rest of the year, as no one is queing up to buy them. Especially when you can walk in a tick up a low km E60 550i for an extra 10 grand.

If I were to sell it I'd put 12 grand on it with room to negotiate.

If you think it is more because of reasons you mentioned above then put your money where your mouth is and $1 reserve it ;)

• Like 2

the biggest selling point is that its a manual. not the rarity.

Well, that is the rarity. A NZ new/delivered manual 540i. And that will be the main reason why it may get 10 grand while the auto equivalent will sit on trademe at 5 grand for 6 months,

i was thinking around $10k would be cheap and $12-13k would be a good price for a nice e39 manual

My thoughts too.

Very nice car BTW. My dad had one new, was only a 528i, but had a similar kit and the same colour, its a really nice colour on the E39.

Best of luck with the sale.

Is it the vanos model? They began putting the vanos engines in in Sep 98. Aside from the schnitzer exhaust, do you know if it's been treated to some cams or a dme tune?

Is it registered as a 540ia? with the "a" on? that suggests it was an auto to start... though dealers have been known to register cars wrong. A lot!

Like Kyu says above, it's rarity is in the manual trans - That's would be my interest in it: But I'd take a standard manual facelift over a prefacelift with the schnitzer bits,,, if there was one,and I was in the market.

You can never really tell what's its worth until it sells, but I too would think $8K to $9K, but that's just me!

It's hard to put the price up, but easy to come down though! Start high and see what happens!

I'm by no means a expert on all things E39 but I'm going to put in my 2 cents worth anyway.

I'd be interested in seeing the build sheet from running your vin.

If it's built as a 540ia and was purchased as that then sent back to BMW to have a Schnitzer bodykit and a manual gearbox installed then it's just a nicely modded 540ia.

If on the other hand it came as a manual from the Schnitzer factory I would say a genuine Schnitzer 540i manual would be very desireable.

And I have no idea what either would be worth.

Edited by kulgan

Have a correction it is a 540is not an "ia" as originally posted.

I was thinking around the 10 - 12k mark for it and most seem to be around those figures.

It was built 29/1/98 which makes it pre vanos, one thing I do know is at around 3000rpm it takes on a new lease of life all the way to the redline, from memory it'll hit 160k in 3rd and is just a joy to drive.

list it for 12k or near offer or put up an auction 10k start 11k reserver 12k buy now.

yep would say about 10ish too

would be well worth getting the chain guides done at this point if they havent been done already, or at least open it up for a look, pretty common failure on the E38/E39 V8

Have a correction it is a 540is not an "ia" as originally posted.

That alone probably bumps up it's value for a lot of people B)

I have two e39 cars and I am looking at the market constantly.

in my opinion the pricing of this particular model is just all over the place in nz.

This car being a manual and a Schnizer version has its own target audience.

Being a nz new is a great thing but only if the service history is there.

Then there is no reason to drop your pants. Just be patient. it might sell in one day or one year....

Most important YOU decide the price not the market. There is always a buyer that will be prepared to pay for it.

My personal suggestion, keep it !!!

was there a e39 " is"?I know its a NZ thing in that the e34 535 is and E34 540 is were particular NZ models.Was there a E39 540 "is",ie a pretty complete manual "motorsport" 540?.The idea behind the e34 "is" was that the e34 M5 was exepensive at a time when the demographic to buy a M5 was in financial strife and the "IS" was an M5 replica.

Or was it because the M5 was not suitable for NZ leaded petrol?,Whatever the "IS" was an M5 replica

Edited by kiwi535

Interesting cause from what I've read about the E34 M5 that's pretty much the opposite of what happened in North America.

No 535is where sold or offered because the dealerships thought they would pull sales from people who would otherwise buy a M5.

Sorry to threadjack, beautiful car, would love to have a 6speed v8 one-day

I would be interested to see the build sheet too. All other manual PFL 540's I have seen have been pretty basic.

This one looks like someone did tick a few options at least.

You could always buy the Hella light upgrade kit for the front and rear and make it look like a FL model. Would make the car look a bit younger.