Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Transporting frozen meat without a chilly bin

I've been offered a selection of meat, sufficient to fill our 2/3 size chest freezer. I have access to a couple of smaller chilly bins, but nothing like enough to carry everything. (It's going to be pretty much a boot-full in the 320d.)

Any suggestions for packing/wrapping/protecting it for a little over an hour while travelling home? Bubblewrap?

Line the boot with a couple of bin liners and layer wet newspaper over the frozens. Will easily last an hour plus if its beef / mutton if it gets a little warm it'll be fine. Wouldn't want to chance it with poultry or pork though! Maybe grab a couple of bags of ice to rest on top to keep the uppermost layer nice and cool?

The newspaper trick also works very well for chilling beers on the quick ;)

Edited by Ahmedsinc
  • Like 1

There is some poultry, but that can go into the bins I have. The rest is red meat.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Is it already frozen Graham? The wet newspaper trick mentioned above will be fine even if it is chilled (we get our meat one beast at a time). Best not to make it a long one hour trip though...

Freeze a bunch of 1.5l or 3l bottles of water and chuck them in the boot so you don't have to buy as much ice. Try keeping poultry near the middle then just wrap it up good.

Anything to stop or slow heat transfer bubble wrap is a good idea - Wet news paper cools a beer on a hot day due to evaporative cooling.

Not much help but made me think of this...

https://youtu.be/VtEqn-5XHpU

Is it already frozen Graham? The wet newspaper trick mentioned above will be fine even if it is chilled (we get our meat one beast at a time). Best not to make it a long one hour trip though...

Yup - it's already frozen.

Sounds like look after the poultry, and the rest will be OK provided I'm sensible. :D

As long as poultry is still icy on the inside it will be fine and can be refrozen without a problem. Once thawed it has to be at an optimum temperature for any bacteria to double every 20 minutes. Even if chicken is full of bacteria it will still be fine to eat as long as it is cooked.

Lot's of paranoia out there.

• Like 1

How good is the AC??? :lol:

If you pack it in tight, you'll probably find it's still frozen solid at the other end.

How good is the AC??? :lol:

If you pack it in tight, you'll probably find it's still frozen solid at the other end.

That's the plan. Poultry in the chilly bin, red meat kept as cold as practical.

There may be venison for Christmas. :)

• Like 1

As others have said, newspaper, plastic, and cold things; but in addition, get the bbq ready for anything that looks a bit defrosted, and bring on the meat sweats...

Edited by tawatech

I've been offered a selection of meat, sufficient to fill our 2/3 size chest freezer. I have access to a couple of smaller chilly bins, but nothing like enough to carry everything. (It's going to be pretty much a boot-full in the 320d.)

Any suggestions for packing/wrapping/protecting it for a little over an hour while travelling home? Bubblewrap?

if they are big peices of meat you wont have any trouble.Wrap ythem well with newspaper or the like pref packed in boxes.A few layers of paper is very good insulater and if all the peices are packed closely together i reckon you will hardly lose the frost on the outside

Get a couple of rubbish sacks..the lined ones. Go to air liquide and get dry ice pellets in them.

I rarely freeze meat, it wrecks it

I also rarely eat at home but for some reason buy meat every time at the supermarket

Thus, I have eaten chicken a week past usebuy, Red meat lasts even longer

one hour out the fridge is perfectly fine.

Ask your grand mother (or great grandmother depending how old you are)

• Like 1

I'd agree - frozen meat isn't quite the same.

However, I now have a freezer full of sausages, beef joints, venison, lamb, chicken... That's sorted a barbie next weekend.

Or I can come by and give you a hand, watt wont fit in your chilly bin I can put in my bin and take home to my freezer at no cost to you.

• Like 3

That Hans? He's a very nice man. So helpful! :D

There may be venison for Christmas. :)

What time should we get there?

• Like 1

From 14.00.

• Like 1