Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

E91 335 for under 17K at a dealer?

What Am i missing here, every one else is listing these at 20 to 45k, albeit with half the milage.

Doe these become lemon flavoured dog pops above 100k or is this a bargain?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-987481064.htm

Suject fixed, cheers rubix

Edited by Charlie F.

Only one way to find out really, Test drive and PPI at a proper BMW dealer.
BTW that's an e91, not e92.

Only one way to find out really, Test drive and PPI at a proper BMW dealer.

BTW that's an e91, not e92.

What dealer would you recommend? Edited by Charlie F.

Theres been a few E91 and E92 335i under 20k. The prices are coming down as the market gets more and more saturated.

I'm having an existential crisis, somthing fun fast and practical like this, or martins M5, or a Delica.

What if i REALLY like lemonade.

Given all the 335 seem to be dealer based, who could say one jap import for 45k at a fancy euro dealer was any better looked after in Japan than a 20k one from regular ordinary importer.

• Like 1

cga, dealer warranty and AM mechanical warranties will all cover you.

In any case, the answer is ALWAYS M5.

• Like 1

There was a similar mileage example at a dealer our south who had it advertised at the same price as this one, but were willing to take $15k.

Bella Motor Works on Vega Place will be good for an inspection and not far from that yard.

You still get the solid and proven fix of turbo boost regardless of spec. Id be more concerned for mechanicals. Id bank on a few k to sort anything in this dept. decoking, leaks, bearings, brakes, bushes etc etc

most of the 20k ones are poverty packs with slush-matics and some trinkets,

mid priced ones are at least steptronic with sometimes more trinkets,

don't appear to be any DCT's or dare I mention Manuals,

All veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery average and very boring hence the price variation

What the crap are you talking about? Ive never seen a 335i that wasnt steptronic, and theyre a decent one at that. Most of them are optioned OK, better than most poverty NZDM cars. Even the one OP linked has heated leather seats, full msport options, and maybe more (but without chassis # cant check).

ANY 335i is hardly a boring car. What crazy rock do you live under? Itd thrash the pants off anything in your stable.

cga, dealer warranty and AM mechanical warranties will all cover you.

In any case, the answer is ALWAYS M5.

Or if you like maintaining two needy cars, buy the 335i and M5... ?
  • Like 2

Or if you like maintaining two needy cars, buy the 335i and M5... ?

I see that you are speaking from experience.

Fun times?

What the crap are you talking about? Ive never seen a 335i that wasnt steptronic, and theyre a decent one at that. Most of them are optioned OK, better than most poverty NZDM cars. Even the one OP linked has heated leather seats, full msport options, and maybe more (but without chassis # cant check).

ANY 335i is hardly a boring car. What crazy rock do you live under? Itd thrash the pants off anything in your stable.

Yup the auto (steptronic) box on the 335i is one of the best I believe, torque converter is only used to pull off so there's nothing 'slush' about it.

The DCT does up the fun factor though :D

I see that you are speaking from experience.

Fun times?

I've had the M5 for about 6 years and love it. Generally just age related maintenance - seals, gaskets, fuel pump etc but they come with "M tax" prices to remediate. I don't like daily driving it anymore so went for something just as fun for running around in, hence the 335i. Had the 335i for about 6 months and glad I got a warranty - been in more times than necessary for a car with sub 50km on the clock. None of the problems major, but just frustrating. If it wasn't so much fun to drive daily then it would have been sold by now.

It's effortlessly quick and the engine suits the automatic transmission - it's not slushy as Matthew mentioned above. Auto learns your driving style, paddle shifters and sport mode if you want to have a little more fun, even subtle blips of the throttle on downshifts in sport mode. There is almost zero turbo lag too. What impressed me most though is the steering feel you get in the e90 series chassis. It is so sublime. I have driven the newer F30 series and they feel more removed and floaty to drive.

Edited by str8_6
  • Like 1

Have you looked into flashing the Alpina trans tune Aaron? I hear that livens the trans up heaps.

Have you looked into flashing the Alpina trans tune Aaron? I hear that livens the trans up heaps.

I have looked into it, and I should try it just to say I have but there have been a few who have flashed back to standard because they do the majority of their driving in normal driving mode and they haven't liked the way the flash behaves. I'm much the same, spend most of the time in normal driving mode. I rarely use sport so I'm likely to be in that camp.

I'm not sure how one would call this car boring with the steptronic gearbox. Don't get me wrong, a manual has it's place, but I am NEVER wishing I waited for a manual. I'm reluctant to try the DCT... because I will end up liking it more... and I have enough liabilities.

• Like 1

I'm reluctant to try the DCT... because I will end up liking it more... and I have enough liabilities.

If you were in Auckland I'd gladly let you try mine in exchange for letting me have a go in your M5 :D

• Like 1

I've gone from an E36 M3 race car as a daily driver to a MS 335i, my report is that its def not slushy. Nice quick instant shifts and blip on down shift is fun.

Certainly not an M car but it's very tight and responsive. Very flat handling around corners with the E90 chassis.

I rate it, with the JB4 its sure got some pull. As the JB controls are on the steering wheel you can switch between stock and maps fast, so easy to do back to back pulls. It's quite a difference.

Haven't had any faults yet...... 70k. Had fac recall in Japan for injectors and HPFP. Exhaust sounds grouse when cold and can flap is open to both side. Just about as nice as a cold M3.

I'll report back and change my tune when it blows up.

• Like 1

its is an auto but there is no slush about it.. especially with steering wheel controls and an Alpina EGS flash.

• Like 1

The only thing it desperately needs is an LSD, any tom foolery in low gears results in the shouty triangle flashing nein to the fun.

• Like 1

I have looked into it, and I should try it just to say I have but there have been a few who have flashed back to standard because they do the majority of their driving in normal driving mode and they haven't liked the way the flash behaves. I'm much the same, spend most of the time in normal driving mode. I rarely use sport so I'm likely to be in that camp.

I'm not sure how one would call this car boring with the steptronic gearbox. Don't get me wrong, a manual has it's place, but I am NEVER wishing I waited for a manual. I'm reluctant to try the DCT... because I will end up liking it more... and I have enough liabilities.

been meaning to try it. how bad is it on the daily?

buys 335i and drives in D mode?.....should of just bought a 325i lol

Alpina flash is awsome, so much better then the stock one but im usually in manual mode with paddle shifters and DTC on...hardly ever in D mode unless in auckland motorway traffic jams :/ or trying to save fuel

there's an alternative , there's a sport flash that is probably more up your alley..

• Like 1

buys 335i and drives in D mode?.....should of just bought a 325i lol

Sport mode and manual shifting loses it's charm when you're doing it in Auckland traffic at 50km/h, to be fair :)

• Like 1