Sign in to follow this  
Joshnz124

Thoughts on this M3

Just wondering if there's any opinions on this M3

The fact that it's had an engine rebuild/swap at 90kms + needing a new clutch now leads me to think that it's been thrashed. 

And is $5,000 accurate for a new clutch done at BMW? 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1142740224.htm

I'm guessing stay away from this one, but would be interested if anyone knows anything

Cheers, Josh

Possibly been thrashed. These engines can spin con rod bearings from a result of thrashing or it could just be down to bad luck why a replacement was needed. If it's been fitted with a brand new short block then consider it a bonus. 

5k is steep for a clutch. Presume that would include a flywheel too? I'll bet u could source a clutch and fly o'seas and have a friendly mechanic do the work for 3k, if not less.

that clutch price is pretty high , I had a receipt in the glove box of the M6 I had (very similar clutch and flywheel)

job done at ak city bmw was around $3.7k

but you could get it done at most places for less and import the parts etc.

these cars can be big money pits , just go in with your eyes open

but replacement engine is a good thing

otherwise .vanos pump , bearings etc would need doing

Cheers guys

Didn't know what to think of the clutch price, whether cheap or expensive.

I've just sold my E46 M3  couple of months ago to be sensible, realised I don't do sensible, so on the hunt it is. I'm just looking at this, and with a few k thrown at it, it comes up to the same price as those with less miles and don't need to do any work. 

HMMMM

• Like 1

With an ad like that I'd walk in the opposite direction. Seems like the seller just wants rid of it and that just doesn't appeal to me unless it's a fire sale.

• Like 1

Doesn't hurt to look.....but also think about when you want to sell it do the same questions you are asking put off future buyers.

im not in touch with the price of those, but isnt that pretty up there in price for one that needs work?

Also, $38k, and one photo? Seriously? One bloody photo.

Needs clutch, engine replaced.. just leave it alone lol

I also didn't know a bad clutch was a WOF issue, learn something new every day I guess.

Edited by Cab
  • Like 1

Is it the 6 speed manual or the DCT box?

If it is DCT then the price of the new clutch is up there, and would explain why it's needed for WoF as it won't drive properly...

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Is it the 6 speed manual or the DCT box?

If it is DCT then the price of the new clutch is up there, and would explain why it's needed for WoF as it won't drive properly...

Yep was thinking that - I'm assuming you would put manual for the description for either box, so who knows what manual means

3 hours ago, Joshnz124 said:

Yep was thinking that - I'm assuming you would put manual for the description for either box, so who knows what manual means

Only idiots put manual in description for DCT/SMG... makes browsing ads annoying because you have to click into them and read the ad, sometimes even look at photos, to figure out what it is. 

Not even 100 000km and in need of a clutch, DCTs don't wear anywhere near that fast! Even a manual shouldn't, someone's been doing lots of burnouts or can't work a clutch properly.

He's also put wrong mileage in the ad. Ad says 90k but in description he says 103k.

Edited by Matth5

14 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Only idiots put manual in description for DCT/SMG... makes browsing ads annoying because you have to click into them and read the ad, sometimes even look at photos, to figure out what it is. 

Not even 100 000km and in need of a clutch, DCTs don't wear anywhere near that fast! Even a manual shouldn't, someone's been doing lots of burnouts or can't work a clutch properly.

He's also put wrong mileage in the ad. Ad says 90k but in description he says 103k.

Completely agree with you. But it's done on every listing, so who knows what manual means. I think I'll drop looking at this. $30,000 would be worth a look, but not what he's looking at. 

It's a manual, but apparently drives fine and "only really slips in 3rd". Does that make sense? How would they pick it up in a Wof, surely they wouldn't reach 3rd gear going into the shed with it? And engine was replaced due to a snapped crank shaft. Any thoughts, as always, would be appreciated

Edited by Joshnz124

just take it to a dyno and run it up ... if its down on HP the bearings are on the way out. Simple.

6 hours ago, Joshnz124 said:

It's a manual, but apparently drives fine and "only really slips in 3rd". Does that make sense? How would they pick it up in a Wof, surely they wouldn't reach 3rd gear going into the shed with it? And engine was replaced due to a snapped crank shaft. Any thoughts, as always, would be appreciated

Fracture split crank shaft as opposed to con rods. Brutal.