hunter

Project E39

16 hours ago, hunter said:

I ordered the wrong one initially so have an early tension pulley for sale in the for sale section. I think this fits e36 too. 

Ahh, I've made this very same mistake when I had a 530i

12 minutes ago, necsis said:

Ahh, I've made this very same mistake when I had a 530i

Yeah was a bit frustrating as nothing in the vendors website pointed to there being 2 types. But hey you learn something every day. Stoked it was able to be resolved so fast locally to complete the job. 

Today I disconnected the reverse bing wires. So simple yet so satisfying. 

• Like 3

While investigating a loose feeling in the rear suspension I noticed both rear guide links are shot as well as an exhaust leak. 
will replace the links ASAP as car needs some realignment anyway to correct a crooked steering wheel. 

exhaust is a bit of a mystery but the crack is fairly long and not sure how long it has been there. 

C1363463-C636-404A-A742-52D3E17CCC1D.jpeg

DFA9DD43-70D6-4733-AB06-3A0F378C18B7.jpeg

CE10F320-C912-45C7-A3C4-20938EDE3328.jpeg

Edited by hunter
  • Like 2

Can ya feel any play in the rear wheels ? Loose feeling in the rear is usually the lower rear swing arm balljoints. Good idea to replace these along with the upper arms/guide links in one hit.

2 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Can ya feel any play in the rear wheels ? Loose feeling in the rear is usually the lower rear swing arm balljoints. Good idea to replace these along with the upper arms/guide links in one hit.

Didn't notice any when i was wiggling stuff around, and I didnt notice anything with visuial inspection - will recheck more closley on this joint 👍

For clarity @BreakMyWindow you mean the wheel carrier ball joint? 

Edited by hunter

Had the rear guide links replaced this week and rear shocks swapped left to right. 
After Ana alignment at Coombes these changes have made a huge difference to rear end feel. I no longer have the sliding rear end feel and the car is no longer leaning like it was in the rear  

I also noted a rattle with the back seat out this was a worn rear sway bar link, so replaced this today too. Not a hard job in the garage just tight for tools. 

now to put the back seat back together and save for new suspension 👍

• Like 1

Decent box of suspension parts arrived from fcp last week. All the front and rear bump stops, spring pads etc needed in preparation  to refresh the shocks, struts and springs around September. 

850579EF-21C0-43D9-854B-3C051F1BE715.jpeg

• Like 4

While I save for suspension refresh and collect pets for that. (Full set of New front control arms arrived last week)

me and a mate who is an electrical whizz added an OEM tow bar loom to the car. 

it’s had a tow bar well before I purchased it  but not any wiring. Doh. 

good project, lots to take apart to get it done and that’s what takes most of the time, about 5 hours including a bbq rib break for lunch. 😛

also, like most zealots when taking these things apart, the under side got a thorough clean  

the other half has seen the result and has now decreed I must test it at the nearest garden centre. 🤣 

thanks to @hqstu for the loom  

2FAE6939-1E76-44D0-AD1F-DF6ADEADE205.jpeg

positioning of control box and running loom along main harness. this poked throug under the rear seatbelt and was run along the main harness to the LCM, when it was installed using genuine BMW plugs for all LCM connections

3287FBA7-FC5A-44F8-9B5F-122BBF86BEC2.jpeg

give the rear a good cleanb wehile bumper is out, degreaser doing its magic 

901562A6-6F69-4426-8947-F93C456A0799.jpeg

All buttoned up, trailer plug in proper place, doesnt look too bad.

A8A2DE9D-78B7-4C6F-A656-0CF757571BD7.jpeg

disassembly of plug to feed through the new chassis hole and for a thorough clean

C559BA56-AD56-47AF-8B80-684224752BFD.jpeg

New hole drilled for loom

47828AC5-691A-468E-93BB-6D10EEA5ECA8.jpeg.65b5f8e8df982e9ca13c90637f8e305f.jpeg

Edited by hunter
  • Like 3

Have trailer, will increase scope of garden projects. Lol

good to see all the lights working  

3D9C0E94-0D62-444C-A874-1E5B98E89BBC.jpeg.608eae2f27e8a76c71f8a2f2ced0aa80.jpeg

Edited by hunter
  • Like 1

Exciting times ahead as this past weekend i ordered new MSport2 shocks and springs forthe E39. (with at least 1 shock leaking these are on their way out )- old springs will be for sale after refresh 

Not sure when they will arrive at this stage, but hoping to have install done sept / October as lockdowns allow. 

This will mark a substantial progress point in the refresh / return to build sheet spec project of the car and will leave only the Xenon lights to go. (these are listed on build sheet but not installed o nthe car)

@hqstu is holding a set for me - lucky to have such good mates in the community. 

most importantly i cannot wait toget out and drive!

Edited by hunter
  • Like 3

yeah maybe aye, its down the list a bit, but if one pops up after ive finished  these bigger ticket items, sure :)

Edited by hunter

Completed a full oil and filter service today. Including cabin filters and air filter. 12 month schedule oil was pretty dark so good to give it a refresh. @~165ks 

then managed to scar my front bumper on my brothers driveway. Feck. 
it’s not noticeable from standing but looks feels pretty deep if you get down to have a look. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Ah that sucks! Does it look repairable?

As far as I can see It’s not cracked so in time, some filler and paint will sort it. 👍

• Like 1

Picked up my new M Sport 2 sspension last week or the week before, i forget all these lockdown days merging into one long ass week.

Also have all the other bits and peices, car booked into Mosens next week (1-11-21) to have it all fitted up, then off for aligment the next day. 

Super excited to have it all fitted up. The new shocks / struts are so light despite the size, benefits of ali construction i guess. paranoid ive missed something nad have been through the parts list and boxes atleast 3 times haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Should feel amazing afterwards. Especially over dips in the road at higher speeds. Did you go for oem sachs shocks?

Yeah mate OEM M Sport 2 shocks, struts and springs. plus all new arms for the front end ( Back already done)

• Like 3

Back on trailer lights and what I found to be a common problem with older cars and new trailers is that the LED lights do t work properly due to not enough resistance in the circuit. This causes check light warnings to show on the dash all the time. 

did some research on how to resolve. KNew what I needed but found finding the bits hard here in Nz. Plenty of offshore options but they do t use the same plugs we do for towing. 

I reached out to Fabian at Coombes here in Hamilton who advised this, it was exactly what I was looking for. It’s a shame some Nz retailers don’t do a better job of online presence management. 

anywho 175 bucks later and problem solved!! 

http://www.anythingelectronic.co.nz/aenz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_85&products_id=471

• Like 3

Big day today with all the new suspension parts installed by Kerry at Mosens. Plus new fuel filter. 
car sitting pretty just after installation will be getting alignment Wednesday and then a decent drive home and some time for it all to settle in. 

The difference in feel and composure was immediately noticeable even on the sedate drive home. Less diving under brakes, better acceleration and better steering. Can’t wait to hit the open road. 

4633FA7A-5F10-49BD-9E3C-062ED2903AB1.jpeg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Michael. said:

Thats sitting real nice. A good style of wheel too! 

Yeah mate. Thanks, I love those wheels.
It should drop a touch too so will be perfect. 

Always money well spent. It's fatiguing driving a car with worn suspension.  

Edited by Eagle

I’ll say. Did the classic depress the old shock test on the fronts. They don’t even rise back up. Well overdue refresh. 

Edited by hunter