Jacko

The 130i Thread

7 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Umm. Love the "bends". 

Equal length headers are soooo 1995, its all about those equal angles now. 90 degree ones. 

• Haha 2

So my 130i has no dsc at the moment because the abs has failed and I have noticed that the car now likes to smoke one tire in the wet. Do these cars have an e diff in them? I’ve tried to google it but there’s not a lot of info. I feel it would make sense as my car did consistently spin both wheels previous to the abs fault. 

What codes are coming up?
Wheel speed sensors are the most common failure for this type of fault.  Easy replacement.
ABS pump is a not a fun task.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jadon said:

So my 130i has no dsc at the moment because the abs has failed and I have noticed that the car now likes to smoke one tire in the wet. Do these cars have an e diff in them? I’ve tried to google it but there’s not a lot of info. I feel it would make sense as my car did consistently spin both wheels previous to the abs fault. 

LCI ones do, its garbage though, it just applies the brake to the spinning wheel. 

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

What codes are coming up?
Wheel speed sensors are the most common failure for this type of fault.  Easy replacement.
ABS pump is a not a fun task.

My first thought was wheel speed sensors but I’ve had it scanned at a shop and it is the abs pump. The mechanic says it’s a simple job. 

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

LCI ones do, its garbage though, it just applies the brake to the spinning wheel. 

As much as it’s bad it does seem to work. It’s definitely noticeable not having it

To all manual 130i owners: do you hear a slight rattle for 1 second when you turn off the engine? Just like when you try to take off in first gear with not enough throttle? I have spoken to a few mechanics and some people say it's a sign of dual mass flywheel failing but some are saying it's normal? 

Sounds like DMF is in bits. Its not normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danch said:

To all manual 130i owners: do you hear a slight rattle for 1 second when you turn off the engine? Just like when you try to take off in first gear with not enough throttle? I have spoken to a few mechanics and some people say it's a sign of dual mass flywheel failing but some are saying it's normal? 

If it goes away when you put the clutch in while turning off the car i wouldnt worry about it, most vehicles with a dual mass flywheel have it to varying degrees. You would experience much worse symptoms in the unlikely event the dual mass really starts to fail before a clutch replacement.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, my car's only done 130k so I'm guessing the flywheel is in reasonable condition. However, it looks like there is no stock of 130i DMF in NZ so I think I might just order it, just in case DMF happens to be worn. If the flywheel is in good condition, I will just put the flywheel up for sale. 

Yeah I think it's fairly characteristic of most DMF bmws. My M3 still does it even after replacing the DMF. Interestingly my 330 compact doesn't though. 

19 hours ago, Danch said:

Thanks guys, my car's only done 130k so I'm guessing the flywheel is in reasonable condition. However, it looks like there is no stock of 130i DMF in NZ so I think I might just order it, just in case DMF happens to be worn. If the flywheel is in good condition, I will just put the flywheel up for sale. 

Put in a single mass in and you wont have to worry about it.

10 hours ago, Harper said:

Yeah I think it's fairly characteristic of most DMF bmws. My M3 still does it even after replacing the DMF. Interestingly my 330 compact doesn't though. 

Mine started becoming noticeable in the cabin when i put M3 flywheel\clutch in, before that you didnt hear anything unless you were underneath the car.  

• Like 1

Disgusting.
All-new BMW 1 Series Premiere REVIEW 2025 with M135 (youtube.com)

FWD platform.
Halo's are gone.
It's huge.
Tacky capacitive touch screens.
Petrol models no longer have an "i" in their name.
135 is 4WD only.
The tacky eBay puddle lights come standard now...
M-Sport seats look great though.

Edited by Driftit

"hot hatch" - Weighs 1600kg depending on spec... what a lardarse. it'll be fast, but it'll never be nimble.

To be fair to its size though, its marginally bigger than an E87. 

Its a decent looking Kia though.

5 minutes ago, KwS said:

"hot hatch" - Weighs 1600kg depending on spec... what a lardarse. it'll be fast, but it'll never be nimble.

Within a solid kiwi male of my (not that old) 3 series awd 3.0 diesel wagon weight-wise. I can sort of understand it for ev’s because the battery is so heavy but for a generic 4 pot petrol it seems…FAT

1 hour ago, KwS said:

Weight alone doesn't equate to nimbleness. Watch Chris Harris' review on the m2 and he believes its a very nimble car despite the numbers on paper. 

Fridges available in colours other than white and stainless, interesting. 

• Haha 2

Swapped out the weird factory intake for a nice Mishimoto and K@N filter, intake sounds vastly improved !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mmario said:

Swapped out the weird factory intake for a nice Mishimoto and K@N filter, intake sounds vastly improved !

Nice! Where did you get yours from?

Edited by Danch

Who bought the one in Chch on trademe? I was eyeing it up for parts... had some interesting bits on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

Who bought the one in Chch on trademe? I was eyeing it up for parts... had some interesting bits on it.

Is that the black one with front lip, rear spoiler, air intake and quad exhaust and tinted rear lights? 🤣

• Like 1

Hello, not strictly 130i related but e87 related. Yesterday I acquired a 123d hatch (2008, pre-LCI) as a daily driver. Loving it so far, being NZ new it is an interesting spec. I would like to put a double din headunit into it, has anyone here done so before on a pre lci e87? Ive got manual AC and no iDrive. Any advice would be appreciated, particularly relating to what physical bits are required to mount it, wiring should be ok. Lower dash conversion necessary?

Blue Manual on marketplace.
Facebook Marketplace
230kms listed at $8500

More realistic than the two that are listed on Trademe for $14k and $15K

Product photo of BMW 130i Manual

8 hours ago, Driftit said:

Blue Manual on marketplace.
Facebook Marketplace
230kms listed at $8500

More realistic than the two that are listed on Trademe for $14k and $15K

Product photo of BMW 130i Manual

Is that a factory spoiler? Looks good