Jacko

The 130i Thread

19 minutes ago, chuckitinbro said:

just put it back in after charging it, starts fine, no error for discharge while it ran. 14.9 volts at idle so alternator is working. I'll keep an eye on it see how it goes. i'll get a mate to bring his laptop when he comes to visit in a few weeks and check the coding as well

If you have an iphone and bluetooth obd adapter, bimmerlink app will let you choose appropriate amperage battery and code to car.

Not having much luck so far today my wife said the screen for the idrive stopped working. I checked some fuses but no joy. Radio was still working and the steering wheel controls. i was testing the idrive rotary dial and the screen came up with strange colours like it was trying to show something then it went back to blank and no radio at all.

Is it possible the CCC is toast rather than the screen? could that be causing the discharge warning?

To top it off my e61 snapped the coolant hose connector from the thermostat to the head on saturday so this is currently our only car while i wait for the new hose to arrive.

1 minute ago, NZ_InFerno said:

That'll buff out 

Brings new meaning to a cut and polish.

5 hours ago, Kees said:

Not sure if anyone else has seen this.

Bit of a bugger since its NZ New and MANUAL!! Guess there's only 12 now.... 

https://www.turners.co.nz/Damaged-Vehicles/Damaged-Cars-for-Sale/bmw/130i/23369537 

182516549_ScreenShot2023-02-08at10_37_26AM.thumb.png.9d349ada531683dfea916dc4607dd86d.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 10.35.06 AM.png

How can you find out how many there are?

*edit* answered my own question - https://www.carjam.co.nz/nz-fleet/?order_by=count_desc&year=&make=BMW&model=130i

Edited by Antallica

3 hours ago, Antallica said:

How can you find out how many there are?

*edit* answered my own question - https://www.carjam.co.nz/nz-fleet/?order_by=count_desc&year=&make=BMW&model=130i

https://nzta.govt.nz/resources/new-zealand-motor-vehicle-register-statistics/new-zealand-vehicle-fleet-open-data-sets/ - Can break it down way better 

My car just got 8% more rarerer :D  :(  https://www.turners.co.nz/Damaged-Vehicles/Damaged-Cars-for-Sale/bmw/130i/23369537

Edited by Jacko

Chucked cruise control in mine tonight. Easy job. About 45mins and a button flick with bimmergeeks. Works well.

• Like 3

Replaced the 55Ah with an 84Ah AGM and overcame my fear of bricking the car using INPA and NCS expert. Went pretty well. Confirmed with BimmerTools that its registered and updated the type. DId that Saturday morning and been checking the battery status each morning. holding in the low 80%s.

Also found a place in christchurch to repair the CCC unit not displaying on the screen. $4-500 estimate which is a bummer but is what it is. I want to replace the tiny screen with android auto/apple carplay unit.  Looks like Xtrons or AvinUSA are the best options in my budget and at around $8-900 landed its a bit more than i'd hoped for.

On the plus side google did show me how to set the time using the indicator stalk buttons so at least it wont complain about that in the mean time.

How/where did you get cruise control @Driftit? aftermarket or retrofit ?

11 hours ago, chuckitinbro said:

Replaced the 55Ah with an 84Ah AGM and overcame my fear of bricking the car using INPA and NCS expert. Went pretty well. Confirmed with BimmerTools that its registered and updated the type. DId that Saturday morning and been checking the battery status each morning. holding in the low 80%s.

Also found a place in christchurch to repair the CCC unit not displaying on the screen. $4-500 estimate which is a bummer but is what it is. I want to replace the tiny screen with android auto/apple carplay unit.  Looks like Xtrons or AvinUSA are the best options in my budget and at around $8-900 landed its a bit more than i'd hoped for.

On the plus side google did show me how to set the time using the indicator stalk buttons so at least it wont complain about that in the mean time.

How/where did you get cruise control @Driftit? aftermarket or retrofit ?

Just a retrofit.  Got the gear from Brent at Bimmerworld.  It is simply a ring gear with the extra stalk and the bottom steering column cover.  Then a simple turn on in the software.

Airbag out
Wheel off
Swap the ring gear
Swap the cover
Reassemble
Calibrate new ring gear via software
Turn on Cruise Control via software

On 2/8/2023 at 10:37 AM, Kees said:

Not sure if anyone else has seen this.

Bit of a bugger since its NZ New and MANUAL!! Guess there's only 12 now.... 

https://www.turners.co.nz/Damaged-Vehicles/Damaged-Cars-for-Sale/bmw/130i/23369537 

182516549_ScreenShot2023-02-08at10_37_26AM.thumb.png.9d349ada531683dfea916dc4607dd86d.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 10.35.06 AM.png

Interested in buying the rims if anyone does pick this up for the gearbox. 

16 hours ago, Driftit said:

...and a button flick with bimmergeeks...

Does that also activate the set speed display on the dash?

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh I didn't look.  Will check when I jump in next.

• Like 1

It does pop up but doesn't stay on which is annoying. Looks like I may have enabled it in the past though. It's part of the digital speedo. 

• Like 1

Bought this tonight, will post some better pics tomorrow. 

Was always curious about 130s so thought might as well buy this one seeing as it seemed to be a pretty decent deal (cheap), hopefully it’s not too unreliable. 

Not sure what I’ll do with it yet, might drive for a bit and fix the major cosmetic things (front bumper is rooted) and then hopefully sell on for a little profit, which I’ll use to tidy a few things on my E34. Was also thinking of using it as a track/novice competition type car but wondering if that’s a rabbit hole I should avoid going down haha 

Has Style 216 wheels which are neat. Otherwise just regular 130i things. LCI, M Sport, Le Mans blue, Auto, etc 

88A75474-1822-45E3-B986-CD4C280A8C26.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

How big is your parking compound these days @Kees?

Hahaha it’s an absolute mess. My E34 and W8 are stashed in a shed at a family member’s life style property, Boxster is squeezed in my parents garage, my Peugeot and the 130i are currently living on the road but will hopefully migrate into the driveway soon 🤣

Cheap cheap, those are all easy fixes. 

11 hours ago, Kees said:

Bought this tonight, will post some better pics tomorrow. 

Was always curious about 130s so thought might as well buy this one seeing as it seemed to be a pretty decent deal (cheap), hopefully it’s not too unreliable. 

Not sure what I’ll do with it yet, might drive for a bit and fix the major cosmetic things (front bumper is rooted) and then hopefully sell on for a little profit, which I’ll use to tidy a few things on my E34. Was also thinking of using it as a track/novice competition type car but wondering if that’s a rabbit hole I should avoid going down haha 

Has Style 216 wheels which are neat. Otherwise just regular 130i things. LCI, M Sport, Le Mans blue, Auto, etc 

88A75474-1822-45E3-B986-CD4C280A8C26.jpeg

saw this one on marketplace and seemed like a good deal, especially a good candidate for a track build, strip the interior, get a cage welded in, an FIA seat, some decent suspension, bushes, Swaybars and an LSD and it could be good fun even as an auto. 

• Like 2

There was a stock road going 130i auto at Manfield yesterday.  I think it was doing 1:29's.  Which is not bad for a road car.  Tyres looked econo too.

I wish the BMW race series had gone with 130's rather than the E46's they settled on.  If I didn't have the E34 I would probably look at building one.  Simple, handles well, cheap parts, common easy to source parts across multiple platforms, and quite quick.  As seen in the video above.

• Thanks 1

Ok so its been a week with my 130i. Gave it a much needed clean a few days ago prior to going on holiday and will be doing a paint correction once I get back. 

This is what I've noticed about the car so far:

1) I'm guessing its probably one of the thirstiest stock hatches you can buy... because I have minimal self control once its warmed up, I'm averaging between 13-15L/100km LOL. 

2) The sound system is awesome! 

3) The car is very well balanced, handles great. Steering has a nice weight to it, aside from the fuel economy I understand why so many of you daily these!

4) Seats are very comfortable, and the lumbar is great - can have it tight for spirited driving and relaxed on the motorway.

5) I think its been enthusiast owned - found some Poly suspension bushings in the boot. 

The wheels have grown on me a decent bit, and I think the Le Mans blue looks awesome.

Just need to find a front bumper, its a pretty tidy car aside from that bumper! 

Still undecided on what to do with it - will probably end up selling it in a couple months as I can tick the 130i box so if anyone could be interested in a cheap 130i, let me know!

IMG_4520.thumb.JPG.eccd9c829e402b45615de13f6255bc52.JPGIMG_4525.thumb.JPG.fc84d71c227ccb98d39a2231d1a44693.JPGIMG_4523.thumb.JPG.19b1c93d1d96b815839cce09b53731f3.JPGIMG_4518.thumb.JPG.5a4fe0cfee294d18e2e15f0ffc416870.JPGIMG_4519.thumb.JPG.3968f1b4bfd7c17af3ff685d4d9a4532.JPGIMG_4514.thumb.JPG.4317eced57b5fed174e939f5a5541960.JPG

• Like 1

Weird that its chewing that much gas, not normal, unless you are driving like a total animal :D Scanned it? Fuel trims or something might be all up the pish

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1