Jacko

The 130i Thread

I'm glad I sold mine when I did. The price on them seems to just get lower and lower every week. The 130 market is strange. But I'm not sure you can buy a better car for 8k. I loved the way mine drove.

Pricing is weird in NZ, we are in a jap import fueled bubble. We are at roughly 50% the price of the average 130 world wide....

With the rate they end up the wreckers due the current price point and the unwashed masses that buy them, the bubble will burst soon when suddenly everyone realizes there are none left. Reality is they are a rare car internationally.

Same thing goes for 135s/335s etc, people are struggling to give them away at the moment. MUCH higher production numbers than 130s.. its probably due to reliability/age of them now.

Edited by Jacko

On 10/8/2023 at 11:28 AM, Jacko said:

Pricing is weird in NZ, we are in a jap import fueled bubble. We are at roughly 50% the price of the average 130 world wide....

With the rate they end up the wreckers due the current price point and the unwashed masses that buy them, the bubble will burst soon when suddenly everyone realizes there are none left. Reality is they are a rare car internationally.

Same thing goes for 135s/335s etc, people are struggling to give them away at the moment. MUCH higher production numbers than 130s.. its probably due to reliability/age of them now.

Just about every E87 I see has been abused.  Just like the E36's and E46's of years gone.  Soon it will be just the loved ones left and the price may go back up.

Or they will be forced off the market by a government acting like we are as rich as Norway.  Why aren't you all buying 100K Tesla's yet guys?  Can I interest you in this absolutely f**ked fresh import Leaf with a range of 55kms?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

An example, its a nice one, but - https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-spottedykywt/bmw-130i-le-spotted/47725? - LEs are actually more common than Msports in UK :D 

Msports start at for 5kish GBP, or 10k NZD, for a tatty one. 

So a question for those more familiar with 130i's than me.

What kind of numbers are there of 3 door e87 130i's in NZ.  Were they sold new here, or are any that ARE here all imports.  I quite like the idea of owning one (except for the fact that these cars are now becoming cheap enough for the buyers to just trash them, and wreck them when they are done with them nowadays), but absolutely do not want a 5 door.

There's 3 known ones iirc. 

Not sold new, all imports either Singapore or UK. 

The 5 door is better in a lot of usability ways, and for parts. In the 3-door, door seals are pretty average with a lot of wind noise and poverty spec interior on imports unless ex UK. Then you want xenons and msport. Back seats are useless in the 3 door, in 5 door slightly more useful. Only slightly.

They do look better stock though. With an aero spoiler on either there's not much in it. 

Personal pref after years of ownership, and 3 130i, would be a 5 door with aero spoiler. 

I don't recommend buying a car out of Singapore just fyi

• Like 1

3 or 4 maybe, all weird imports. One looked particularly sketchy. You could throw E81 in the NZTA register, wont be hard to work out due to the low numbers and all are LCI and later (2007). 

On 10/8/2023 at 9:44 AM, Dave_Tee said:

Oh man - ages watching these - finally bought one from the North Island and an NZ new one pops up down the road! 

NZ new ones are nearly always poverty spec.

@NZ_InFerno, ageee about Singapore. Have experience with 3 cars from there, 2 were awful, the 3rd was actually near perfect, but the percentages don’t stack up. Never again.

On a different topic, I noticed that my manual 130i don't have a stop for the clutch pedal so I made one with 10mm thickness. It's a lot nicer to drive now. Well worth mod for manual drivers. 

(I prototyped with white plastic and later made one out of rubber)

20231003_204301.jpg

20231012_112613.jpg

Good day guys!

I am thinking of selling my 130i but I am not sure what it is worth.

I saw on Trade Me they are going for roughly $8-9k but thought I would get some feedback here as well.

It is 2006 white with a sunroof, has 141 000km on atm with Bilstein coilovers and is certified.

The following has been done in repairs.

Roof lining

water pump

thermostat

Mickey Mouse hose

u-shape hose from the thermostat to the water pump

starter motor

rear rotors, brake pads and wear sensor

Sump gasket

Valve cover gasket

The car was always serviced every 12 months, as I never got to the millage first.

Would be great to get your feedback.

Cheers!

20230831_125754.jpg

20230831_125810.jpg

20230831_125831.jpg

20231012_123612.jpg

20231012_123620.jpg

20231012_123633.jpg

20231012_123708.jpg

20231012_123838.jpg

20231012_123849.jpg

20231012_123857.jpg

20231012_123955.jpg

20231012_124438.jpg

20231012_131416.jpg

Edited by MBimmer
  • Like 1

@MBimmer sounds like you've spent a good money on it. The thing is that there are so many thrashed cheap auto 130is out there, brining the overall price down. My guess is around 9k but happy to be proven wrong.

Ultimately it will depend what else is available at the time. There are a few on the market now around that $8k mark. Yours looks pretty neat and ticks a lot of the preventative maintenance boxes.

I just paid $12k for mine - was more than I wanted to pay and probably top dollar - but it was the only manual for sale at that time and I had a small window of opportunity to buy one - so I had no option.

This looks like a solid car. sadly I think we are in a slump for car sales at present. I bought my 130i, that looks very similar to yours, for 5k. It has 122k on the clock and is on KW coil-overs and is certified. Mine did have a small shudder in the trans, but a service got rid of it. Point is your car may be a 9k car but in this climate 7k might be where it sells. 

I paid $700 for my first car, a straight but needed some love AE86, sold it for $1500... thought I was a winner. 

Hi everyone,

Selling my 208 wheels if anybody is keen as I’ve just put some 461s on my 130

They are in alright condition they have a little kerb rash as pictured but are tidy for the money

After $300

Located in Queenstown, happy to post at buyers expense 

IMG_1501.jpeg

IMG_1502.jpeg

IMG_1503.jpeg

IMG_1505.jpeg

IMG_1504.jpeg

Edited by Irobin

Is it worthwhile doing a manual swap? Is the 6 manual box the same unit that sits behind the 4 cyl engines? As I only have 5k in the car, and after a couple of months and as everything seems solid, I am considering it. Opinions thoughts?

54 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

Is it worthwhile doing a manual swap? Is the 6 manual box the same unit that sits behind the 4 cyl engines? As I only have 5k in the car, and after a couple of months and as everything seems solid, I am considering it. Opinions thoughts?

Yeah, they are so much better with a manual, suits the car. Those that disagree just dont like the fact that they are better :D 

No different transmission to the 4 pots, GS6-37BZ-TJES is 130 box (370Nm rated), shared with Z4 3.0Si and thats it. In saying that there will be a bunch that have slightly different ratios/bolt holes/input shaft dimensions that will/will not work (M54 E46 ZHP, Z4M etc all have GS6-37BZs)

• Like 1