Sign in to follow this  
NZ BMW

Interesting E38 750il

It's got a damn good spec on it. Individual paint and interior too. Shame the paint is a bit rough, but should tidy up ok. I sure as hell wouldnt pay anywhere near that for it; its probably worth about half the buy now. Pretty limited market.

That would be an awful job trying to remove paint defects that bad. 

Lovely car, once. 

• Like 1

Nice example in a bunch of ways but yes $20k is something of a stretch. 

38 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Nice example in a bunch of ways but yes $20k is something of a stretch. 

I see there is already a helpful “question” from the peanut gallery that it’s a “5k car” this spec with low kms even with the cosmetics is pretty hard to find these days if there are no hand grenades lurking in it. 

• Like 1

$6k is probably all I’d pay for this, not super special but still nice 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

I see there is already a helpful “question” from the peanut gallery that it’s a “5k car” this spec with low kms even with the cosmetics is pretty hard to find these days if there are no hand grenades lurking in it. 

750ils come up fairly often and generally at a pretty low price, the only thing this has going for it is the spec. I wonder if its 71,000 KM or Miles (since UK import with Miles cluster). Its a nice car, but not many people want a LWB V12 barge.

I still think adding Q&A to classifieds on TM was a bad idea. It was the best way to weed out the idiots with opinions; if they wanted to say it was over priced they used to have to actually contact you, and had no public visibility. Now its a free for all for anyone with a keyboard.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Not sure about some of the claims

Yup the usual made up stories to try and justify putting a much higher than market price on the car.

”owned by BMW CEO” so a guy who gets given one of these to drive for free also bought one so he could watch the depreciation falling out of it.. yeah right.

• Like 1

"2 x phones with built in scramblers to guarantee privacy"

Umm what

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Yup the usual made up stories to try and justify putting a much higher than market price on the car.

”owned by BMW CEO” so a guy who gets given one of these to drive for free also bought one so he could watch the depreciation falling out of it.. yeah right.

Might have been a dealer MD or something, you never know but with 14 owners in NZ according to CarJam I don’t know how anyone could be sure of anything. 

There was a period of time where it seemed like every used imported S Class and 7 Series was a “diplomatic car” in Japan or Singapore when it was sold here. 

• Like 1

And every single 730Ld has been “Helen Clarke’s car” or “John Key’s Car” or even “the Royal Tour Car” .

And don’t forget the “armour plated” and “bullet proof glass” options.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, KwS said:

Thats REALLY billy basic options compared to the 750 in the OP, and pre LCI.

Just interior piping seats (these are nice), coloured door cards and a couple of back seat li options with the V12, nothing otherwise. Bucket full of problems included 🤣 if mines anything to go by

Individual interior and exterior, Extended leather, wood inlay, active seats, hi-line rear compartment, msport MF wheel

8 hours ago, Breaker said:

Just interior piping seats (these are nice), coloured door cards and a couple of back seat li options with the V12, nothing otherwise. Bucket full of problems included 🤣 if mines anything to go by

I hope no one is buying these cars for reliability... 

I would prefer the 750 over that 740. I’ve never liked the grape or eggplant coloured interiors. 

A highed specced 740 is superior to a 750i imo. The m62 is a much better engine.

4 hours ago, polley said:

A highed specced 740 is superior to a 750i imo. The m62 is a much better engine.

Yeah, except the one in the link is really not well spec'd. Plus you get to enjoy the timing chain issues in the M62 so pick your poison. 

• Like 3

I’ve had both and still have the 750, ultimately for more more cylinders for me wins 😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Yeah, except the one in the link is really not well spec'd. Plus you get to enjoy the timing chain issues in the M62 so pick your poison. 

Yeah I wouldn't pick that one. 

How many people actually have issues with timing chains or is it another internet rumor. I've had a few and no issues at all.

6 minutes ago, polley said:

Yeah I wouldn't pick that one. 

How many people actually have issues with timing chains or is it another internet rumor. I've had a few and no issues at all.

Yip mine blew, in saying that I’ve had 4 m62tus and only 1 shot one 😂. Probably normal hit rate 

Ive known two people personally with 540is, both ended up with guide issues. One was quite low KM NZ New, the other high KM import. Seems random.

Unlucky. I've had a few and they skid hard, rev limiter all day. 😎

Early 740i with the M60 would be my pick. Doesn't quite have the torque but id trade that for not having to open it up for guides and leaks. PCV is a bit flawed but can be upgraded to M62 setup.

• Like 1