Sign in to follow this  
FritterMullins

Can someone please explain

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/land-rover/defender/listing/3367263806

Posting here because it has a bmw engine 

Not hating, it’s a nice looking vehicle but what’s the story with the price? He reckons it’s not a mistake am I missing something? 😂

Price is insane,but it is a super rare factory bmw engined model. Super cool. 

The Q&A is utter cancer though. God people are sh*t. 

Edited by KwS

This is a forum where the members have a higher than is usual (for NZ car forums) interest in the specification, value and rarity of their cars. As opposed to performance forums where the members are primarily interested in how a vehicle performs and have no problem with the interracial marriage of parts or the addition of go fast modifications. So many BMW owners are better classified as collectors and investors rather than simple car enthusiasts.

Personally I don't have a problem with this, as those in a position to collect and invest in rarities of any sort are free to do so. When an item becomes rare and collectable, its value is no longer related to its intrinsic worth or artistic merit. And that is where this particular vehicle sits... so it will go into a collection and sit unused gathering value until passed to another collector.

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee

How ‘desirable’ is it? Say (or write) it often enough and it shall become, perhaps… 🤣

• Haha 1

At the risk of offending "art lovers" I would use the example of certain works by Colin McCahon. This artist has become famous and much sort after by investors since his death, and pieces like this now command high prices. I appreciate genuine talent in engineering, art, architecture and pretty much any field of endeavor, but my kids brought home better than this from kindy :)

10333_Colin_McCahon_Scared.jpg

This is a prime example of how value can become hyped up when the demand for a commodity exceeds supply (toilet paper being a more recent but relevant example). It only takes a small number of speculative investors to shout "gold rush" and everyone wants to jump on the wagon. A further example is the "get your foot on the property ladder" so beloved by real estate agents. Speculation, investment, call it what you like. It has always been around and it always will be.

Rarity is what gives great value to everyday objects, and the desire to make a profit is what makes a person buy an item with no practical use or artistic merit simply because it is guaranteed to go up in value over time. I'm not going to mention Bitcoin :D

Cheers...

1 hour ago, jon dee said:

At the risk of offending "art lovers" I would use the example of certain works by Colin McCahon. This artist has become famous and much sort after by investors since his death, and pieces like this now command high prices. I appreciate genuine talent in engineering, art, architecture and pretty much any field of endeavor, but my kids brought home better than this from kindy :)

10333_Colin_McCahon_Scared.jpg

This is a prime example of how value can become hyped up when the demand for a commodity exceeds supply (toilet paper being a more recent but relevant example). It only takes a small number of speculative investors to shout "gold rush" and everyone wants to jump on the wagon. A further example is the "get your foot on the property ladder" so beloved by real estate agents. Speculation, investment, call it what you like. It has always been around and it always will be.

Rarity is what gives great value to everyday objects, and the desire to make a profit is what makes a person buy an item with no practical use or artistic merit simply because it is guaranteed to go up in value over time. I'm not going to mention Bitcoin :D

Cheers...

6 hours ago, jon dee said:

This is a forum where the members have a higher than is usual (for NZ car forums) interest in the specification, value and rarity of their cars. As opposed to performance forums where the members are primarily interested in how a vehicle performs and have no problem with the interracial marriage of parts or the addition of go fast modifications. So many BMW owners are better classified as collectors and investors rather than simple car enthusiasts.

Personally I don't have a problem with this, as those in a position to collect and invest in rarities of any sort are free to do so. When an item becomes rare and collectable, its value is no longer related to its intrinsic worth or artistic merit. And that is where this particular vehicle sits... so it will go into a collection and sit unused gathering value until passed to another collector.

Cheers...

Ok thanks

2 hours ago, FritterMullins said:

Ok thanks

I feel ya.

• Like 1

"Rarity is what gives great value to everyday objects, and the desire to make a profit is what makes a person buy an item with no practical use or artistic merit simply because it is guaranteed to go up in value over time. I'm not going to mention Bitcoin :D"

Don't wish to kidnap the thread, but I'm happy to mention Bitcoin.  Well, maybe not Bitcoin spescifically.  But I'm happy to disagree with your flippant dismissal of Bitcoin.  The general tech behind Bitcoin, ie Blockchain Technology, will change the way we live and interact with each other both socially and in business in the medium and long term future.

Kind of like EV's really.   Either get on board, or get out of the way, but one thing is for sure - you won't be able to avoid it.

• Haha 1

You have an optimistic view of Bitcoin and that's fine. It was likely invented with good intentions, but the reality is somewhat different. What we currently have in an imaginary currency powered entirely by greed that is become a speculative investment for high rollers. Sort of like horse racing but without the horses :)

I fully support a money exchange system that bypasses the middlemen and their fees. However, I am very uncomfortable with a non-regulated tech heavy system that is beyond the comprehension of the vast majority of people who could benefit from such a system.

There is a quaint old-fashioned idea that technology should serve the needs of the people and improve the lives of everyone. Unfortunately, in recent times this concept has become perverted and technology has gained the upper hand. Now people serve the needs of technology and the products that we are told that we need are simply the result of the latest tech developments. If a person does not have a roof over their head or food on their table they do not need an EV, no matter what big tech might think.

Cheers...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2021 at 9:50 AM, FritterMullins said:

Not hating, it’s a nice looking vehicle but what’s the story with the price?

Land Rover people are a different breed. End of.

• Like 2

What about the BMW powered Daihatsu Rocky's?  Named a Bertone Freeclimber and FreeClimber 2.
https://www.drivingline.com/articles/bertone-freeclimber-was-bmws-first-suv-by-way-of-japan/

https://www.motor1.com/news/228017/bertone-freeclimber-for-sale/

Rarer.  And no doubt just as rusty.

Maybe I should just throw one of my BMW motors in my Rocky.  Would be on the only one in NZ.

AKA

Daihatsu Rugger
Daihatsu Rocky
Daihatsu Fourtrak
Daihatsu Taft
Toyota Blizzard
Bertone Freeclimber 2

And that's just the bigger one.

• Like 1

Pretty sure this Defender sold for about $18k (if not less) several years ago. I was looking to make a move on it but decided to get a td5 which was less of a project. I get that it’s about the novelty of having an m52 powered defender from factory but you could have much the same car for less than a third..