Sign in to follow this  
GlenK

Black 318is MSport in Wellie

40 minutes ago, KwS said:

Thats a really nice looking example. Interesting/weird spec though, non-motorsport body, but sport suspension, seats and steering wheel. Povo spec OBC. Kiwis are weird.

Slick top, no spoiler and style 24s are a great choice.

Kiwi specs on cars are always a bit odd - can always spot NZ new GTIs for example as they have the uprated alloys but never Xenon’s 

• Like 2

Sounds like the classic UK spec @Sammo - big wheels, big engine and bugger all else...

(as opposed to most of the rest of Europe where your 318i has individual paint / full leather and Adaptive LED's)

• Like 1

To my knowledge the sedans in question are completely different to the coupes as such. A sedan 318is ms is on of approx 50 of in nz, south African assembled, in the usually m3 colours (Dakar hellrot fiji). 

The coupes never came, in my knowledge, in 318is ms limited edition. 

One of approx 50 is alot different to a 318is coupe, hence the pricing on these sedans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southerner said:

To my knowledge the sedans in question are completely different to the coupes as such. A sedan 318is ms is on of approx 50 of in nz, south African assembled, in the usually m3 colours (Dakar hellrot fiji). 

One of approx 50 is alot different to a 318is coupe, hence the pricing on these sedans.

This is absolutely true. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Southerner said:

The colours and maybe seats are the only thing special about them, otherwise they are exactly the same as that 318iS coupe with more doors and an Motorsport bodykit.

I colours i can get on board with, Dakar and Fiji look awesome, otherwise i'll never understand why everyone is circle jerking about a 4 pot sedan.

• Like 2

As well as the weird colours and body kits, the MSports also get MSport suspension package, which the base car doesn’t get, which in theory should improve handling over the base car.

It’s also my understanding that the race teams like Schnitzer chose the e36 sedans to race in BTCC and DTC for super touring racing because they offered better structural integrity over the coupes.

37 minutes ago, GlenK said:

As well as the weird colours and body kits, the MSports also get MSport suspension package, which the base car doesn’t get, which in theory should improve handling over the base car.

It’s also my understanding that the race teams like Schnitzer chose the e36 sedans to race in BTCC and DTC for super touring racing because they offered better structural integrity over the coupes.

The four door thing was just a result of the FIA Supertouring rules. 

The chassis stiffness of coupes vs sedans has been covered in previous posts on bimmersport, and the pic relates to e46 specifically, but no doubt the general principle translates to other models as well.

Yes, ultimately rules dictated what was chosen (Tho Listerine team campaigned Coupes for a season in BTCC) , but my understanding is that sedans are still considered to be more rigid than coupes in general, especially when it comes to racing, with a recognition that there is slight weight disadvantage.

ACC63FD2-EED1-4297-AA95-9580D638C931.png

16 hours ago, balancerider said:

Sounds like the classic UK spec @Sammo - big wheels, big engine and bugger all else...

Whilst I’m no E36 expert, only the M3 ever really appealed to me, I seem to recall that the 318iS coupes in the UK all came with the full M-Sport kit, half leather interior and decent sized wheels?

The end of production run with the funky colours for the sedan was called something on top, like 318iS Sports Edition or similar.

Yes they are different models and scarcity which I guess has a big impact on the resale values.

Yeah because the sedan don't have split folding seat as standard. 

It's a non issue once a cage is fitted and tied in to the body and towers IMO. 

5 hours ago, GlenK said:

The chassis stiffness of coupes vs sedans has been covered in previous posts on bimmersport, and the pic relates to e46 specifically, but no doubt the general principle translates to other models as well.

Yes, ultimately rules dictated what was chosen (Tho Listerine team campaigned Coupes for a season in BTCC) , but my understanding is that sedans are still considered to be more rigid than coupes in general, especially when it comes to racing, with a recognition that there is slight weight disadvantage.

ACC63FD2-EED1-4297-AA95-9580D638C931.png

The wagon stiffer than a coupe or sedan? Yeah nah, not believing that.

The only stiffness advantage I can see in the sedan is having framed doors, vs frameless in the coupe.

Edited by KwS

The extra metalwork in the body to allow for a rear door opening on a sedan is what usually gives the extra stiffness. The strengthening added more than compensates for the metalwork skin that is removed.

Seems odd that we are discussing the body stiffness of a nearly 30 year old road car as being an important factor.

• Haha 1

4 doors may be stiffer but 2 doors create more stiffness IMO 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Sammo said:

@E28E30 Its Red though!

True @Sammo hehe. 

Edited by E28E30

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Seems odd that we are discussing the body stiffness of a nearly 30 year old road car as being an important factor.

But...318iS! 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, E28E30 said:

Oh is that where I’m going wrong? Lol

421C7845-6D4B-4C1F-8AFC-C0A22C28959E.jpeg

Between you and @adro its hard to convince me E30 coupes are better looking than sedans. Its such a well proportioned car.

E36s though, its the opposite, sedans are blegh.

• Like 1

@KwS you’re kind Kelvin, welcome to come have a drive anytime.  I think the E30 proportions and timing (when some of us were younger and they were new) is a sweetspot.  

@adro Adrian has the 4 Door market crown I reckon, but I agree they’re awesome tiny sedans:)

Edited by E28E30