Sign in to follow this  
qube

Best BMW ever?!

Watched the top gear video on this yesterday - amazing car - the engine noises!  crazy that its a Z4 coupe underneath.

'Best' BMW ever I would be voting for E9 CSL / E30 M3 Sport Evo / E46 M3 CS or CSL with 3 pedals.

Either that or a E90 320i.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Either that or a E90 320i on 20" chromies and cut springs. 

Fixed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yes, it’s a VERY nice car, really well styled and the execution of the idea is fantastic.

The best ever though… that’s a big call.

• Haha 1

On 2/1/2022 at 2:44 AM, qube said:

It looks really very cool! I've been checking out the video at the link above - also shot cool! The price of the car is just as cool :)

Edited by Pokitren
  • Like 1

Nope.  Styling is totally wrong.

Best ever probably belongs somewhere in the E3x range.

• Like 2

The rear of a 992 and the front of an F Type? No thanks.

Yeah I thought F Type + TVR

No thanks.

The Z8 project reminds me of the Jaguar Type-S, just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should...

Well, I'm certainly not in the 'no thanks' group but I agree that 'best ever' is a big call... although, when allowing space for hyperbole, it sits closer to 'best' than 'no' on my appreciation continuum. It looks a million times better than any modern BMW and we know that the long block (once you've overcome the factory fragility) is a lifetime of satisfaction.

I do think the Z8 is one of the best looking BMW's ever produced and would never fettle one if I owned it.

• Like 1

I wasn’t seriously saying it was the “best” as denoted by the “?” But I do think it is super cool.

Of course you can’t compare with some of the legendary models actually produced by BMW themselves but this is a great execution of a wild idea. 

If you watch/read into it, a Z8 was not sacrificed for this build, it was build on the Z4 platform which I think was quite smart.

Looks wise sure it can be a bit controversial given the styling similarities as noted by other’s comments above but the design thought process and execution is amazing and it is a cool idea to have a modern v8 running as well as it seems to in an older looking 2 door coupe chassis.

• Like 2

It's a wonderful achievement and certainly worthy of praise, both the design and engineering seem really sound.

And it looks great.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

I'd say in my humble opinion that the 2002 Tii is the top of the BMW food chain.