Kees

Franklin the 6 Speed Manual W8 Passat

What else would you spend $8k on and get the same level of satisfaction 🤣

And let’s be honest - you will spend the $8k on something anyway haha!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, treone said:

And let’s be honest - you will spend the $8k on something anyway haha!

Honestly I can't fault this logic.... you're dead right haha

You could try your luck just swapping the head gasket out. Just because the cars overheated and the head gasket has failed, doesn't necessarily mean the engine needs to be replaced.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harper said:

You could try your luck just swapping the head gasket out. Just because the cars overheated and the head gasket has failed, doesn't necessarily mean the engine needs to be replaced.

Good point, oil is still clean and golden so the engine could be alright. Coolant isn't oily either. Apart from the misfire (which is not too bad to be fair), everything sounds and works as it should. Hmmm maybe I should replace both gaskets and go from there. 

Is it engine out to do the gaskets, or is there enough space to do them in the car? That might be the deciding factor if you need to yank it anyway. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KwS said:

Is it engine out to do the gaskets, or is there enough space to do them in the car? That might be the deciding factor if you need to yank it anyway. 

Not too sure, I'll have to do some research on it. Being an early 2000s VAG product I wouldn't be surprised if the engine has to come out. 🤣 

That said, the engine will be pulled out anyway - whether its being repaired, replaced or the car parted.

I am quite keen on a W8 coffee table so I'll strip the engine down anyway so at a minimum I'll investigate what's happening, will be interesting to see which headgasket failed (assuming it is headgasket, still need to properly test to formally diagnose). 

Alright, I have a bit of an unfortunate update....

So with the initial focus being on the front-end of the car (i.e the engine), it was only on Sunday that I actually had a proper inspection of it. I wanted to go through everything methodically, to get an understanding of how easy it would be to get the car through compliance. 

Everything was looking alright, couple perishing bushings but nothing to severe.... until I got to the boot.... 

My friend had remarked on the day the car arrived, while I was washing it, that the rear bumper had clearly been resprayed due to its higher level of metallic fleck in the paint that it appeared to have. I agreed with him, but didn't think much of it - its a 21 year old car at the end of the day.... 

However, I decided it would be a good idea to pull the boot's rubber seal off to look for any signs of corrosion (as compliance would do too). I then noticed that the passenger side corner of the boot has clearly been repaired, and then it hit me - the bumper was not even close to being flush with the lip of the boot. Comparing it to my silver car is startling - this car has clearly had a decent shunt up the back at some point in its life. 

The bumper doesn't even clip in, as the clipping points have been pushed back, and you can quite clearly see the structure of the car is pushed in/dented. 

Compliance definitely won't like that! 

So it seems I'll be using it for parts. Bit of a bummer but its done 266,000km, clearly had a decent life, and will probably help keep 5+ W8s on the road globally with its bits (have had heaps of interest in parts from America & Canada). 

Here are some photos of the damage:

My silver W8 for reference:

IMG_5430.thumb.jpg.8a6dc826386eeba82a4eaca4c9046f4d.jpg

The black car:

IMG_5369.thumb.jpg.56ae3ab10bf5fd86c6967938b2de15ad.jpg

IMG_5444.thumb.JPG.6d195c2d55b39c7d61d89597291b60e8.JPG

Pretty obvious bend....

IMG_5448.thumb.JPG.9b300ec47677ae5c89ca7ece068bebde.JPG

Welded repair in left corner & you can also see where the two metal plates overlap it's been pushed out about 5mm, compared with the other side. 

IMG_5446.thumb.JPG.11e084d34027136f2da07dc2e3e54901.JPG

• Sad 2

Sad, but $951 is a cheap gearbox.

• Like 1

There you go. Reshell, manual convert, job done.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Sad, but $951 is a cheap gearbox.

Most definitely, can't complain about the price! By the time I had the car shipped it owes me $1.6K, but even then I'm still very happy. Have seen that the W8 specific Remus mufflers alone retail for $700usd... each! Let alone the 6 Speed gearbox which is worth a few $$$, along with the Cats, Recaro seats, Tuned ECU, and BBS Madras + many, many other random bits. 

Just a bit of a bummer from an automotive moralistic point of view that such a rare car will be parted - but oh well, its life. 

11 hours ago, Allanw said:

You should probably think about blocking me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHA, if I had a personal accountant (i.e a girlfriend) they would definitely request I block you, but luckily I don't so please keep suggesting terribly awesome cars for me to buy!

11 hours ago, Allanw said:

4 hours ago, KwS said:

There you go. Reshell, manual convert, job done.

I did see this one, would be a great recipient of the euro bumper & bootlid, however I've decided that a suitable shell swap candidate must be:

1) Silver

2) Wagon 

Only because my sedan needs a matching partner...

Have seen a few silver sedans around, will potentially pick one up in the next few months I suspect - rationally justified as a "PRACTICAL" addition to the fleet ;) 

I aim to start parting out the black car this weekend, anyone want a souvenir? 🤣 

• Like 1

Hello Kees

I have for my sins a Black Passat W8 auto (save them all!!) so would be keen to keep in touch.

Currently in Christchurch so may require some clever freight ideas.

MIne is the equivalent of a rescue pet, and most people are very uninterested to help with cam variator / shaky idle etc and slipping lock up torque converter so if anyone wants to chime in please do.

It is a genuine one owner from the time imported till me (the car dealer kept for himself at 3 years old and 40k so would have been quite unique, then passed it on to a fried, 91k and very tidy so would like to bankrupt myself to save one from being lost forever.

• Like 1

BTW love your write up.

I have other cars, but been very taken by the w8 and its refinement and power delivery, plus the comfort. A manual conversion maybe?

And whether you like an underdog, or a q car, or just the technicals behind it and the w8 / 12 / 16 story is i guess what defines us.

I suspect I may be making a museum of 'dont know and dont care cars, rather than 'i had one of those :)

• Like 1

Semi-related.

I spotted a gold W8 estate tavelling the opposite way heading towards Otaki Beach (at speed 😆).

• Like 1

Spotted on youtube, cool.  Sounds like a fun thing to punt around.

• Like 1

Ok I have an update for everyone:

It's been a busy few days but the car has largely been stripped. It was given an exhuast-less send-off, sounded pretty awesome! I'll put a video on YouTube for you all to have a look at sometime later today. 

Interior came out first, then followed by engine and gearbox, then driveshaft & diff, and now its just the odds and ends! Fun fact and for future reference: definitely don't just worry about the axles "later" if they're being stubborn to remove. It is in fact very challenging to get the engine out if they're still there - but you live and you learn I suppose. 

Had to cut the downpipes off and also have to disconnect thrust arms and upper control arms on each side to give just that bit more room. 

Would like to give a special mention to VW for using M12 Spline bits to hold the fly wheel on - the first 7 came off with much persuasion from the breaker bar. But it would have been nice to give more than 5mm of spline bit set into the bolt, because the last 3 all stripped, YAY! Had to get my mate to weld some hex nuts onto the stripped bolts and then big impact gun did the rest. 

W8 engine down to the block does look rather neat! 

Here are some pictures:

Interior Stripped:

IMG_5537.thumb.JPG.a88010de91800bd759dcb90cfcdd9f18.JPG

Some rare bits....

IMG_5549.thumb.JPG.91d35a37eba65481fa07fab1b209ce4e.JPG

Front End Off:

IMG_5544.thumb.JPG.3a86690cbce3c01104aac2cd1ffd4d79.JPG

Late Night Wrestle With Axles Concludes:

IMG_5554.thumb.JPG.edf52921f68be3780e2f07612173c639.JPG

VW Passat W8 Superlegeera: 

IMG_5565.thumb.JPG.e16850fff170c6d1f8252b1539c2ab06.JPG

Draining Fluids:

IMG_5566.thumb.JPG.48cf985c8cd20bb31bfc88d20dca8c83.JPG

Basic algebra tells me this is a Bugatti; W8 + W8 = W16

IMG_5575.thumb.JPG.780b5f81c350d2f37573d985ff40fec3.JPG

Engine Separated 

IMG_5585.thumb.JPG.61498a999c4b017aba3c2387f67984bc.JPG

Former M12 Spline Bolt:

IMG_5690.thumb.jpg.6a6c7e2cb57014e38f07e2999f4376e7.jpg

The block! 

IMG_5667.thumb.JPG.a647d03d37ccb0e12ea37542cc0fc558.JPG

• Like 3

On 4/10/2023 at 9:47 PM, Cayman said:

I have for my sins a Black Passat W8 auto (save them all!!) so would be keen to keep in touch.

Very nice! They are rapidly becoming very rare with only a few nutters like us wanting to save them! It's a shame you aren't in Auckland, basically all the body parts will be off to scrap so would be more than happy to give you whatever bits you want - Euro front & rare bumpers for example - I'm guessing your one has the Japanese spec small plate holders & cut-out?

It is a genuine one owner from the time imported till me (the car dealer kept for himself at 3 years old and 40k so would have been quite unique, then passed it on to a fried, 91k and very tidy so would like to bankrupt myself to save one from being lost forever.

Wow! Wouldn't be many with that mileage left now, would love to see some pics if you've got any?

help with cam variator / shaky idle etc and slipping lock up torque converter

Ugh the famous cam variators - unfortunately I won't be much help at this stage. I have read recently that wiring to coils can be a semi-common issue, and potential source of a miss beyond the basic coils and plugs, but then again, misfire could be caused by so many things. When I briefly owned an auto one I do remember the torque converter to not be the smoothest thing under the sun too - apparently Tiptronic mode really hurts their longevity. W8 group on Facebook is a good place for advice from some proper experts - someone on there is even swapping a W8 engine into a Lotus! 

On 4/10/2023 at 9:55 PM, Cayman said:

I suspect I may be making a museum of 'dont know and dont care cars, rather than 'i had one of those :)

Haha the story of my life! Next on my list is a Smart Roadster... just to put into perspective how weird I am with my automotive choices. 

12 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Spotted on youtube, cool.  Sounds like a fun thing to punt around.

Haha I've been chuffed with how well the video has done so far. KiwiCarLife's videos usually do in the 3,000-10,000 views range, and so far the W8 is north of 75,000! Glad it's been getting some appreciation for once! Even he said to me that he now has a new found appreciation for the W8. 

For anyone wanting to watch it:

On 4/12/2023 at 8:39 AM, freaknout said:

I spotted a gold W8 estate tavelling the opposite way heading towards Otaki Beach (at speed 😆).

Funny you mention that, must be a little infamous that car..... (from the YouTube comment section)

317046348_ScreenShot2023-04-16at11_23_40AM.png.399fc586028c3aa9b7f7a7db00b589a4.png

• Like 2

Nice one, well made video.  I watched a couple of his other videos, one of a Legacy 3.0R of which I used to own one, very fun car to drive and definitely underrated.

His videos seem quite good but there's something about his face/voice/manner that throws me off.

7 hours ago, GorGasm said:

His videos seem quite good but there's something about his face/voice/manner that throws me off.

Don’t disagree 😁.

Great way to showcase your fleet though!

Some people have better mannerisms suited to presenting this sort of stuff. I noticed but given the length of the video it didn't really bother me, plus id rather have some be themselves rather than put on a fake persona.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GorGasm said:

I find him quite hard to watch, which is a shame because he tests some cool stuff. I think part of it is that I hate Kiwis. We look/sound terrible in everything we do 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep it could be something to do with the Kiwi-ness.  I wonder if Americans find Doug Demuro annoying AF?  I can watch him no trouble at all but his stuff gets a little boring after a while.

Good on him for making the videos though.

Edited by GorGasm