Sign in to follow this  
MilesP

BMW Car Club New Zealand???

The wife and I are moving back to New Zealand next week. I have been away for over 7 years and she has never lived there. 

We will be moving into our place in Christchurch and I was looking at social clubs when I came across the BMW Car Club of New Zealand. Wanted to see here what people's thoughts are on the regional events and if it is worth joining. I could talk shop all day about cars and would be keen to take part in the events etc so wondering what people think. 

Welcome, where are you moving back from?

I did 12 years in the UK and was part of a active car club (non BMW). We drove to Europe three or four times, attended the majority of the big UK shows, Sana Pod events in the pouring rain, dyno days, engine building weekends, club rates on parts (those days seem gone), drinking and crashing out in our cars etc. plus regular meets in the City for a vindaloo.

I appreciate NZ is a small country, but when I moved back towards the end of 2013 I quite shocked at how inactive things had become over here. The club I left had grown weeds. Everyone seemed to have packed up their s..t and moved to Facebook-land where it's easier to post pics of past events than to plan them. I attend a few things locally, Southwards cars n coffee is relatively good. The BMW Car Club also organises pub meets and weekend cafe events in the region which are good. I can't speak to membership as I haven't joined. Check out the Christchurch section of the forum and see if anything is on. Hopefully, if you are motivated, you can make some contacts and get something going. I believe the BMW club were looking for a CHCH person at one point.

• Like 1

There isn't an official club persay but there is one. Message @kevinator9 he's on the pulse of things. Have monthly pub meets and drives all organized via Facebook 

25 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There isn't an official club persay but there is one. Message @kevinator9 he's on the pulse of things. Have monthly pub meets and drives all organized via Facebook 

Unfortunately quite a few Christchurch BMW owners are not FB cognisant Gaz....

I have been a member in Wellington for a number of years, but can find better ways to spend $80 these days.

By and large the members in Wellington are fantastic, and the majority of them I keep in touch with on a monthly basis. Unfortunately, there are a few toxic self important individuals that are in there, and since I left I have had a number of former members reach out and echo the same sentiment about why they haven't rejoined, including some very active BMW enthusiasts in Wellington.

Whether this is the same in Christchuch I dont know, but I know the christchurch chapter has always stuggled to get the numbers. 
Unfortunately head office is auckland based, and in my many years experience there is next to no interest, involvement or support from them in the regional activity.

For example, what the membership fee actually goes towards in the regions is anyones guess. There are no club rooms or subsidised trips, and the member discounts are not paid by the club. If you ask, you don't get answers.

Hi Miles,

There is a relatively active group down here in Christchurch. Technically not part of the BMW Car Club NZ as most that come along are not financial members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/707657126480873/

We generally meet first Tuesday of each month for a pub night. Next one here: https://www.facebook.com/events/447579370646035

Through winter it can be a little quiet, though in summer there is generally one event a month whether it is a local drive or a destination event.

Be happy to have you along.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2022 at 10:52 AM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

Unfortunately, there are a few toxic self important individuals that are in there

Sadly, this.

Not that it is in any way unusual and most organisations have a few like this. Often they mean well and don't understand the impact (on others) of their way of working.

• Like 2

Seems to be quite prevalent in organisations in the Wellington region.

5 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Seems to be quite prevalent in organisations in the Wellington region.

yep and not only car organisations

^^ Ahhh, see what you did there, very good! Don't disagree either 🤣

Edited by treone

On 8/21/2022 at 6:28 PM, gjm said:

Sadly, this.

Not that it is in any way unusual and most organisations have a few like this. Often they mean well and don't understand the impact (on others) of their way of working.

true, and thats why most registered volunteer / club based organisations have elections at thier annual AGM.
Even if there is only one candidate that stands and the vote is unanimous, the point is that everyone has had an opportunity to say, not just the handful of people that have the financial means and availability to get to an AGM on a particular evening.

Edit: have just had a member message and say whats the difference to Bimmersport. The difference is that Bimmersport is a private company that derives revenue from selling advertising and merchandise to keep the lights on. It does not have members (or admin) that are obligated to pay to use the service.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

true, and thats why most registered volunteer / club based organisations have elections at thier annual AGM.
Even if there is only one candidate that stands and the vote is unanimous, the point is that everyone has had an opportunity to say, not just the handful of people that have the financial means and availability to get to an AGM on a particular evening.

The articles of association (?) should include the information about how the organisation is governed. Including details of AGMs, etc. There is the ability to vote by proxy in the AKL region, is that option not offered in Wellington?

Wellington governed by same rules and proxy votes can be made by members.

I must say that Pete has done a great job of resurrecting the Wellington club with plenty of events and club meets. 

Always enjoy meeting other members and bimmersporters and talking about BMWs.

Personally need to make more time to enjoy these things as life allows.

edit, also saved more than the membership fee through dealer parts discounts when having my old e46 m3 serviced and maintained. Almost $200 in discounts just only  rotors and pads in the last year 😀

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3

On 8/23/2022 at 11:28 AM, Neal said:

I must say that Pete has done a great job of resurrecting the Wellington club with plenty of events and club meets.

I second this notion. 👏 

• Like 1