Sign in to follow this  
drtimwright

Emmisions control recall has broken the entertainment system...

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Basically, I took my 2017 F30 330E into the BMW dealer in Welly today (Continental Cars BMW) for a WOF (which it failed for fair reasons - brake pads and steering play).

However, there was also a recall for some emissions control software update. So they did this without double checking with me first. And based on how the conversations I had when I picked up the car, they wouldn't have told me - it was only near the end when I pointed at the item and said "what's that" that they mentioned it.

And the update has broken a number of things:

• The navigation no longer works
  • The radio is set for Japanese frequencies
  • The reversing sound is different and REALLY annoying
  • Apple CarPlay is no longer available

All of which are pretty annoying TBH. The Apple CarPlay removal is super annoying - it pretty much makes the entire entertainment system useless for me. They say they don't have the tools to restore those things.

I'm wondering if anyone can help restore these? Or if you can give me some advice as to what my options are?

(cross posted to the BMW NZ Car Club facebook group)

• Like 1

If they don't have the tools, they need to find somebody who does, and pay to have them do it.

Take it back to the dealer and patiently explain that you're going to need an equivalent or better loan car whilst they fix their mess, it's 100% their responsibility.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 3

On the flip side, being a Jap import it's probably had the unit recoded to work in NZ, which is definitely something they do not do and wouldn't support. It's like taking your car in with a tuned ECU and expecting them to load a tune on it again after reflashing it back to stock during a software update. 

I agree it's sh*t that it broke, but most dealers will silently roll out recalls when it's there, because well, it's a recall and needs to be done and better than getting you back in later. 

^^
Might be the case unfortunately which could give them a little loophole to try and wriggle through.

They should still make it right though - it’s not like it’s under factory warranty and this was warranty repair.

How was Carplay activated / setup?

My F31 has Carplay but by a plug in box, rather Than being flashed (?) to the actual idrive.

The other settings are likely simple to change - I remember I got a fright when I used the spare key in ours and all the language / units etc were Japanese again.

Main key with saved settings were fine.

Yussss... I was just thinking that this is a bit like when you have to reload the OS on a PC. When I have done that it erases all the little tweaks and extras that have been added over a couple of years to make the system better and/or more user friendly, and puts it back to how it came out of the box. Is a major piss off event but if it has to be done then that is what you have to expect. 

However, in my case it is a last resort to get the machine running again... not something I would do to fix some small software glitch. In your case I would have to assume that this recall was more about BMW covering their ass against legislative punishment for not meeting emissions standards, rather than a safety critical item. But maybe not... could be something that affects fuel economy or some other factor that is beneficial to the customer. 

Bottom line is that BMW dealers must be aware that owners to make changes to enhance their enjoyment of their vehicles, and therefore it would be good PR, if nothing else, to advise customers BEFORE re-flashing the DME. Don't know if that would have helped if you don't have the information on file to re-enable the features knocked out by the re-flash. Tough break and hope you can get it sorted.

Cheers...

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

^^
Might be the case unfortunately which could give them a little loophole to try and wriggle through.

They should still make it right though - it’s not like it’s under factory warranty and this was warranty repair.

How was Carplay activated / setup?

My F31 has Carplay but by a plug in box, rather Than being flashed (?) to the actual idrive.

The other settings are likely simple to change - I remember I got a fright when I used the spare key in ours and all the language / units etc were Japanese again.

Main key with saved settings were fine.

2017 will either be ID5 or ID6 so can run CarPlay in software rather than needed an extra / aftermarket MMI module.

• Like 1

You took it in for a WOF, and through a specific action that was INTENTIONAL (and not related to what you took it there for) they have caused adverse effects to your vehicle. This is no different to if they too it upon themselves to respray a wing in a different color.  Matters not that it's an import or you had modifications or whatever, you took it for a WOF. 

If it had even being going in for a service they would have had *some* defense as the service might stipulate they will update software etc etc. 

They need to put it right, or send it / pay for somebody who can put it right. 

• Like 1

Heck, even if you took it in for a software update and they didn't advise you of the possible consequences and receive your explicit consent, they'd still be 100% responsible. Given they did neither of these things makes them not just culpable but manifestly so. I'm shocked they sent you away like that to be honest, that can't be up to BMW's expected customer service standards (I hope).

They fact that's they screwed up their own software and claim to be unable to restore it is mind boggling.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, M3AN said:

They fact that's they screwed up their own software and claim to be unable to restore it is mind boggling.

It's not OE coding (and maybe not OE software) and not as the car should be from factory. 

To say reflashing the stock, as the car "should be" software to the car is like repainting the fender is insane. 

• Like 1

Ugh, it's BMW software, it's not more complicated than that. BMW's choice to regionalise their software is their choice, they also know NZ is full of imported cars, they need to deal with the consequences. At best they've been careless, at worst they've been negligent.

Not even worth arguing about, it's obviously their responsibility to fix.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.  I'm going to be generous and assume the tech didn't notice all the things that changed or stopped working.  However once they do know it's on them to put it right.  My $0.05 is they knew or should have known that one of the side effects of what they were doing is what happened, therefore it's something they should have an informed discussion with you about and got an approval to proceed. 

If they aren't able to fix it themselves, then they need to arrange for someone that can to fix it up and put it right for you. It's the putting right that counts...

Edited by Spinner99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spinner99 said:

It's the putting right that counts...

The spirit of L V Martin lives on :)  :D 

• Haha 1

This is very easy. Your fsc certs are being rejected and VO has been changed back to jap. You will potentially need me certs and coding done plus nav maps for NZ. Drop your vehicle to my place I'll sort for you

Also careful if you take to a novice. These id5 and id6 units have region locks and you will get a blank screen if you try and code yourself 

Edited by promo
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, promo said:

This is very easy. Your fsc certs are being rejected and VO has been changed back to jap. You will potentially need me certs and coding done plus nav maps for NZ. Drop your vehicle to my place I'll sort for you.

Awesome offer, I'd recommend producing an (expensive) estimate that the OP can take to BMW to pay you for.

Doing this for free, without consequences for BMW, is a disservice to the community, dealers need to be better than this. If there are no consequences there will be no change.

Probably totally irrelevant, but since I started going to  the Wellington BMW dealer (2005, Shelley), there have been seven different owners. The workers stay the same, but the people that you deal with seem to be different every time. Difficult to see how customer loyalty  (or customer service) would factor into this. They seem to be just reading off the script.