Twistee

E61 M5 Touring life

The wagon is currently getting a new clutch and flywheel, thanks Autosure. My assumption is that they won't cover the slave and clutch position sensor, other than those what else should I be digging into my wallet for while the box is out?

• Like 1

Autosure have covered everything!!! So all new and shiny including the slave, best M5 news I have had in months :D great way to start the day. 

• Like 2

Out of curiosity - other than clutch and DMF - what is being replaced. Think I will need mine done soon so putting together a parts list. Thanks in advance

Slave, clutch fork button, release bearing and tube, springs, rear main seal. I think everything other than the clutch fork is being replaced. 

• Thanks 1

I think you got most of it covered.  The wiring loom of the SMG is very delicate, we also put in a good amount of liquid electrical tape to hopefully prolong it (see photo).  This can't be bought separately, need the whole SMG to get one.  Someone used to refurb and resolder this but in 2020 he is not doing it anymore.  I also replaced some parts after the transmission, here is what I had on my post:

• Driveshaft flex joint, Driveshaft center support bearing, Driveshaft end bushing
  • Transmission mounts
  • Exhaust pipe gaskets, hex nuts, torx bolts

IMG_0458.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Jun said:

This can't be bought separately, need the whole SMG to get one.

You can now buy the kit to splice in. https://www.smgsociety.com/product/gear-position-sensor-repair-harness-bmw-e60-m5-e63-m6-smg-iii/

Thanks for the reminder, I'll ask BMWorkshop about inspecting and doing what needs to be done on the harness.

• Like 1

Picked up the wagon this morning, new clutch feels fantastic. The old clutch plates were almost down to the rivets, got every cent out of them. I have kept the old DMF, going to clean it up and put a clock kit onto it for the garage. BMWorkshop had another go through the cooling system, did a side by side with another M5 and all the readings that are coming out of the DME are exactly the same as the other car from a cold start to operating temp over the same time period. So now I'm left to wonder if the wonky oil temp is an issue in the cluster as that looks to be moving while the DME is showing a constant +-1 degree temperature. 
At this point I'm open to any ideas.

Picking up on paint subthread on here again - did you find a paint shop yet. After the storm this week, we have found ourselves in the unfortunate position needing panel and paint work. My trusted panelbeater has recently sold up. Going to Ray Hasler I worry the cost might blow out for insurance purposes. 

Great car. I am a previous owner (2017-2019). Still miss it!

ORG_AFL03829.thumb.JPG.61725adb8eb211bfd8dbd53d2d37f7fd.JPG

• Like 3

Definitely need more photos of this beast in this thread. Absolute dream family car! 🤤

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2024 at 12:14 PM, C-130 Hercules said:

Picking up on paint subthread on here again - did you find a paint shop yet. After the storm this week, we have found ourselves in the unfortunate position needing panel and paint work. My trusted panelbeater has recently sold up. Going to Ray Hasler I worry the cost might blow out for insurance purposes. 

At this point the car will go to Eurotech, but that will happen after the oil temp issue is sorted. I have less than 6 weeks of warranty left unless I can get it extended and want to get to the bottom of what is causing that. 

• Like 1

Being used as intended, fully loaded for a week away.

Family_Wagon_1.jpg

Family_Wagon_2.jpg

Family_Wagon_6.jpg

• Like 5

Honestly, it's been 10 months since that f'ing taxi backed into it and the paint disaster kicked off, so I have not really felt like taking beauty shots. But here are a couple more:

Family_Wagon_3.jpg

Family_Wagon_4.jpg

Family_Wagon_5.jpg

Family_Wagon_7.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/2/2024 at 10:27 AM, fred_ said:

Great car. I am a previous owner (2017-2019). Still miss it!

ORG_AFL03829.thumb.JPG.61725adb8eb211bfd8dbd53d2d37f7fd.JPG

Hi Alex, what ever happened to the old personalised plates that you had on the car? Gathering dust somewhere?

It needs a euro personalised plate. 

As a teen I always wanted DOGBOX for a wagon but someone else had the same great idea. 

These are ChatGPT suggestions :

Here are some ideas for a personalized number plate for your BMW M5 Touring / station wagon:

1. **M5WAGN**
2. **TOURM5**
3. **BM5WGN**
4. **FASTW5**
5. **M5ROAR**
6. **WGNM5**
7. **BMWM5T**
8. **SPDM5**
9. **M5TOUR**
10. **WGNPRW**
11. **RAPID5**
12. **M5STN**
13. **M5V8TT** (V8 Twin Turbo)
14. **BLUM5** (if your car is blue)
15. **M5FUN**

Feel free to mix and match elements or come up with your own based on these ideas!

Here are some fun, ironic options for a personalized number plate that play on the idea of being slow:

1. **NOTFST**
2. **SLOWM5**
3. **EZDRIV**
4. **SLOWW5**
5. **M5SLOW**
6. **CRUISN**
7. **CHILM5**
8. **LAZYM5**
9. **SLODRV**
10. **M5TURT** (as in turtle)
11. **SLOSPD**
12. **M5EZGO**
13. **SNAIL5**
14. **CRAWL5**
15. **SLOWMO**

These options can add a humorous twist to your speedy BMW M5 Touring!

• Like 1

Was mentioned before, I still like it: RODBRG - a playful reference to rod bearings... 

• Haha 3

"Somebody" already has SLOWGN on an E61 M5...

• Haha 1

I remember when that "1of2" car was on TurdMe a few years back.  It was in reference to the fact that just 2 of those wagons were ever sold new in NZ.  Little wonder given the new price at the time was $285k...........

On 6/27/2024 at 4:23 PM, leonf said:

I remember when that "1of2" car was on TurdMe a few years back.  It was in reference to the fact that just 2 of those wagons were ever sold new in NZ.  Little wonder given the new price at the time was $285k...........

Wouldn't mind putting that plate back on the car.

On 6/29/2024 at 7:20 PM, Twistee said:

Wouldn't mind putting that plate back on the car.

I'd like to see a consumption based plate;

GASVIP / BP VIP

98FILL

30L 100

• Haha 1

I reckon GranPa or GranMa would be kinda funny on an e60 M5. Hmmm 🤣