E63

Must-have tools

I’m just about to move out of my apartment. Which means I can finally get to work on my car…

What are some essential tools you guys would struggle without? I’ve got the basics. Torque wrench, axle stands, hand tools, trolley jack.

So far I’m keen to grab:

-Cordless ratchet (leaning towards Milwaukee M12 3/8)

-Tite-reach

-Socket swivels and extensions

Comes down to what you are working on in my experience. A basic tool set you all you needed on 80's BMW's.

I could go on forever but a set of extra long double ring ratchetting spanners is one of my most used tool (almost essential on stupid Japanese etc designed FWD engines)

EDIT: + M18 mid torque rattle gun.

Edited by Eagle

Rattle gun for suspension, steering, lug bolts?

Funny you mention Japanese FWD. My wife’s car is a Note so I’ll work on that as well. Got about 3 months to do drive belt, spark plugs, and a few other bits before WoF. Got a picture of the spanners you’re talking about?

Buy the tools as you work on the car. There is always one thing you don't have. It fills the n-1 equation. n being the ultimate amount of tools... 

Crow feet, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 socket set and extensions. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, E63 said:

Rattle gun for suspension, steering, lug bolts?

Funny you mention Japanese FWD. My wife’s car is a Note so I’ll work on that as well. Got about 3 months to do drive belt, spark plugs, and a few other bits before WoF. Got a picture of the spanners you’re talking about?

Yeah just about everything, crank bolts or axle nuts may or not work vehicle dependent but will do everything else in most cases. If you don't have a rattle gun and can only buy one then its certainly the one to get in the Milwaukee range.

The M12 3\8" fuel ratchet is mostly my Japanese front of engine tool time saver, BMW's i tend to work on i can use the impact in most spots or just use hand tools easy enough.

https://www.primetools.co.uk/product/britool-hallmark-prxl-12pc-extra-long-flat-ratchet-ring-spanner-set-8-19mm/

I bought this from the same place for around $~350 landed at the time. Was the only set i could find (at the time) that wasn't crazily priced. They don't feel as nice as higher end Taiwanese, US etc ones but they have held up nearly 6 years of full time use without issue.

https://www.tooljunction.co.nz/products/toptul-flat-type-extra-long-double-ring-wrench?variant=41195417501845&currency=NZD

Ive got one of these which i used to use before the above. Does the job of cracking fasteners before you switch to normal ratchet spanner or wrench

https://www.primetools.co.uk/product/facom-sxl-161-12-dr-extendable-ratchet-264-397mm/

Not really a must but have but i use it all the time for any thing 1\2" related, suspension and turning engines over being the main ones. Ability to extend to give breaker bar like leverage then shrink when in tighter spaces is very handy.

• Like 1

These seem like pretty premium tools. I take it domestic brands like Bahco/Fuller hold up fine for light hobbyist use?

Both are i suppose but technically not as good as they once were. Britool is the more cheaper brand now days. That same ratchet cost about $400 here in NZD, no way id pay that for one given they are made in Taiwan).

Ive got Bahco ratchet spanners and screwdrivers which i cant fault. I dont think id bother with anything fuller for any use in my experience. I dont find the difference price between typical higher end Taiwanese stuff (Toptul, King Tony, Genius Gearwrench etc etc) and mid range that much for your basic tool kits. In saying that every brand has their good and bad stuff for the price depending on your needs. I always keep an eye out for quality 2nd hand stuff on trademe or facebook as too you can pickup some good bargains.

2 hours ago, E63 said:

These seem like pretty premium tools. I take it domestic brands like Bahco/Fuller hold up fine for light hobbyist use?

ive been beating on an old Fuller Pro 1/2" socket set for years, with no issues. My advice is to buy the best quality you can (within reason, dont go running to the Snap-On truck) or risk buying twice (especially when it comes to things like hex sockets; i bought cheap, stripped a hard to get at bolt and regretted my life choices; the Bahco hex socket i replaced the Supercheap one with fit 100x better in the head of the bolt).

Regarding battery tools, its also worth seeing what else in the battery-ecosystem you want. I have Ryobi One+ 18v for everything, because I have a lot of tools now and they all use the same battery, including my lawn mower. I treat them hard, work on anything and everything and nothing has let me down yet.

My go-to for tools for most work is my socket set, a ratcheting spanner set and a couple of good screwdrivers. I have most tools these days to do most jobs, but most of them i bought as I needed them.

Edited by KwS

Might not be pro grade of course but most of my arsenal I've bought from Supercheap, almost exclusively when something's on sale. A big toolkit suitcase when it was 50% off has been getting me 90% of the way there for the past 3-4 years now. Most things Toolpro are lifetime replacement warranty. Had a 3/4 ratchet fail on me, walked into the store and came away with a brand new one 3 minutes later, didn't even ask for a receipt or anything. Latest addition is a set of ratchet spanners when they were on sale for sub-$100 a few months ago. They always have a few days around Christmas/Boxing Day where it's 50% off storewide so always worth a punt.

Then I have an assortment of random spanners, deep wall & impact sockets, 3/4 & 1/2 extensions & swivel attachments that I've sourced whenever the situation required it. Good to plan ahead and have everything on hand when you need it of course but then you might be spending hundreds of extra monies on kit you never end up using.

Power tool wise I've also jumped into the Ryobi universe, found it to be the best bang for the buck with a very extensive selection of tools available. The electric ratchet has been handy to have in many a situation. The impact wrench paired with a 9Ah battery handles most things thrown at it. I've taken off an M54 crank bolt without issues. Only thing it couldn't handle so far was the 46mm front hub nut. Had to borrow the services of my mate's AEG impact - that thing is an absolute brute (1550Nm tightening torque!), and costs accordingly. Otherwise, I've found Ryobi great for hobbyist use. Probably not tradie standard but if you take reasonable care if the tools and not throw them around needlessly then they'll last. Haven't had anything fail on me so far (knock on wood) and also have a whole lawn care suite so get plenty of use out of the battery collection I've got going. 

Edited by Vass
  • Like 1

What I wish I had years ago.

Pry bars, large and short.

Quality heavy mechanics hammer.

Power bar, even the "grunty gun" cant undo a lot of stuff that only leverage can. 

4 hours ago, Vass said:

@E63 - pretty sure I have this kit if you’re interested. Bought new and never used. 

had the intention of diying. But reality is that’s never going to happen 😁 lol

• Like 1

Pick tools, prybars,lock pliers, magnetic pick up tool

I have 3 torque wrenches 1/2 3/8 1/4

Rubber mallet

Edited by mmario

Some sort of half decent inspection camera can come in handy (followed by the magnetic pick up tool). Many hours have been spent finding and retrieving nuts, bolts, no. 10s

• Like 1

A hoist.  I wouldn't trade it for anything now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treone said:

@E63 - pretty sure I have this kit if you’re interested. Bought new and never used. 

had the intention of diying. But reality is that’s never going to happen 😁 lol

This looks like something I’d be after, especially after seeing a glowing review of Toolpro gear a few posts up. I’d have to see how much it goes for on sale before making you an offer though.

Just now, Driftit said:

A hoist.  I wouldn't trade it for anything now.

The dream. Garage stud height might not agree though. Seen those Quickjacks? They look pretty good, still like 3 or 4 grand though.

Toolpro ratchets suck and fail easy like most of the cheap brands. Plenty of good second hand stuff around  ive bought Koken and Snap-on ones for around $50 and can they can be rebuild for around that price if needed.

24 minutes ago, E63 said:

This looks like something I’d be after, especially after seeing a glowing review of Toolpro gear a few posts up. I’d have to see how much it goes for on sale before making you an offer though.

All good. I will double check what set it actually is. At least you know where a set is. 

I have a Powerbuilt 1/2" set that I purchased 20 years ago and have thrashed.  Still mint.  Still tight.

I've lost far more tools than I have broken.  Or they have been borrowed at the race track and never made it back.

I have a bunch of Milwaukee power tools.  I purchased them whilst living in the US.  It made sense there.  I am not convinced they do here.  I look at the Ryobi stuff often.

Ryobi seems nice if you’re doing stuff other than automotive. One+ range is vast. Their ratchet seems too big to be convenient for auto though.

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

am not convinced they do here

If you knew were to get them in the past there were some good deals via i-tools in Wellington eg $349 for m18 high torque.

Ryobi one+ batteries are crap. We have 5, 1 works.

1 hour ago, E63 said:

Ryobi seems nice if you’re doing stuff other than automotive. One+ range is vast. Their ratchet seems too big to be convenient for auto though.

Nothing wrong with Ryobi for automotive, but I do agree the ratchet is a bit big; I have one and wish i didnt buy it. The rattle gun, drill, grinder, torches etc have all done me well.

4 minutes ago, Palazzo said:

I have 5 genuine batteries (2x 5ah, 1x 4ah, and two smaller ones), none of them have any issues. Most are 4+ years old now, with regular use.

Edited by KwS

4 hours ago, E63 said:

The dream. Garage stud height might not agree though. Seen those Quickjacks? They look pretty good, still like 3 or 4 grand though.

I have a set, have had everything on them from a Classic Mini to my E63 650i. I paid about 2.5K for them about 6 years ago. They are very handy, especially for things you need a car level for, like trans servicing or tyre rotations. A+ will keep using them.

IMG_2521.jpg

DSC03641.jpg

DSC03469.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, C-130 Hercules said:

Some sort of half decent inspection camera can come in handy

I ordered a cheap endoscope off Aliexpress for all of $7 US, the USBc type with a phone app. Only used it just once so far but worked surprisingly well for how ridiculously cheap it was. A great little gadget to have on hand.

I'm a sucker for a good deal off Aliexpress in general. Not the highest quality stuff obviously but great for small items you'll only use occasionally. Some other notable ones are a fuel pump lock ring tool, hose pliers, little brushes, pry & pick tools, specialty pliers etc, all for around $10/each or less. Oftentimes see the same stuff rebranded and sold for 3x the price locally.

1866465519_2023-11-0621_59_23.thumb.jpg.6c8f071001ef50eab062b7f24002925d.jpg1012639029_2023-11-0622_00_28.thumb.jpg.93b80faae8299b91ffa4d9de2a3c04b7.jpg 

8 hours ago, E63 said:

Think I paid $200 for mine around 4-5 years ago.

8 hours ago, Eagle said:

Toolpro ratchets suck and fail easy like most of the cheap brands.

Lifetime replacement though. I've only broken a 3/8 one so far, and that was probably my own stupidity, trying to break loose a bolt that was too big and done up too tight for it.

5 hours ago, E63 said:

Their ratchet seems too big to be convenient for auto though.

Yeah a bit of a clunky one that. Still has its uses though. Was doing the valve cover yesterday, came in very handy and got into places an impact driver wouldn't have.

I got a mate an AEG one as a thanks for helping out with some welding just recently, feels more robust and is more compact with a different battery orientation. Pricy though, both skins and batteries are roughly twice the price of Ryobi.

4 hours ago, Palazzo said:

Have had 3 x 4Ah & 1 x 9Ah batteries for around 3 years without issues. Your mileage obviously varies though.

I've also got a little collection of custom speciality tools going.

• Thin 18mm spanner for doing up front sway bar links
    68521010_2023-11-0616_17_59.thumb.jpg.911e7e534dd1e4100a55abb3bd870f32.jpg
  • Short handle 32mm spanner for doing up the front VANOS solenoid without bashing in the radiator
    181913663_2023-11-0616_17_14.thumb.jpg.18a60530f324c863e7db50328dd1e052.jpg
    2118723896_2023-11-0616_16_34.thumb.jpg.26c70b4147508d3fe8604474fd52ea13.jpg
  • Deep wall 32mm socket for the rear subframe mounting studs
    1360901580_2023-10-1921_18_02.thumb.jpg.efa1eca90f4b0b2af9dc69ec02c6e9bb.jpg
  • Starter mounting bracket to test run the engine without the gearbox attached
    243921303_2023-11-0616_18_42.thumb.jpg.ebb3c1a45332f8823a2494e673083bc5.jpg
  • Like 3