Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Will this guy be up for a manslaughter charge?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=2386401

Almost all the auctions are tyres well out of date, many produced before year 2000

4 or 5 year old tyres, i dont have as strong opinion as some people here, ahem Ron ahem, but i think we can all agree 15 year old tyres are well overdue, surely it is/should be illegal to profiteer from these deathwishes?

• Like 5

Yeah this is poor form, ultimately the people buying these won't likely have much of a clue on tyres and just want a warrant, sets them up for a death trap.

Only good for retaining walls.

It would only take one guy doing this to be made an example of by the courts and the market place would sort itself out

Unfortunately our police and justice system are hell bent on alcohol or speed being the only two causes for crashes, no data is gathered on other factors like tyre age.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Agree totally on what you are saying but i am missing something - where are you seeing the date stamp?

• Like 1

Unfortunately the real problem is that these are totally legal under the NZTA standards so there is no avenue for prosecution as their is no breach of the law.

I wonder if there is a thing under environmental laws....

for example i know there are certian international laws that prevent us from exporting certain things to pacific islands etc, called "dumping"

The tyres in this container are mostly/all illegal in thier original country i would say.

The guy that has imported them is most likely a "car guy", so one assumes he knows what he is doing is ethically wrong.

I hope he gets seriously injured by someone loosing control coming the other way on 15 year old Michelins

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Such discussion really underlines the serious lack of attention applied to real issues like this.

If all cars in NZ had to met a standard of tyre quality & spec required for WOFs road incidents would be dramatically improved.

• Like 3

If all cars in NZ had to met a standard of tyre quality & spec required for WOFs road incidents would be dramatically improved.

Nah mate, have you not seen the ads on TV? It's the people who drive at 10km over the limit that cause accidents. Got nothing to do with road worthiness ;)

• Like 5

Indeed Justin.

Policing tyres can't be done in the same ease and manner of putting a lame duck in a car with a laser gun to get results err profit.

• Like 1

The Coroner tried to have snow tyres banned unless fitted for purpose ( driving in snow) but we set a very low hurdle and wonder why we have so many loss of control crashes.

but but but roading statistics show that its alcohole and speed that are the relavant issues in NZ. Or so the traffic safety media machine will have you know with their tunnel vision statistics

PS I 100% agree, evedence can be seen when it rains decently on the motorway, watch everyone slow right down because their tires are just not up to scratch to handle a small down pour.

Ask Paul Walker's opinion on 10 year old tyres.. oh wait.

• Like 3

The policing campaign may focus on speed and alcohol, however if you read the ACC/ NZTA statistics you will find that these feature only in a small percentage of serious harm / fatality crashes (less than 5%).

The biggest killer is being on the wrong side of the road and the usual contributors are: poor judgement / decision making and loss of control ( 65 / 30 % respectively).

The vast majority of crashes are single vehicle / two vehicle with minor to moderate injuries, these number in the 10's of thousands and speed and alcohol do not feature like less than 1% .

These make up more than 85% of all ACC/ NZTA recorded "accidents" "poor judgement / decision making" makes up 70% of this group and "loss of control" about 30%

The common threads are: how we drive and what we drive - we ( generally) take stupid risks and we drive substandard cars on rubbish tyres.

Most common risks are:

1) Crossing the centreline - contributors are: cutting corners, texting, bored, just plain stupid, playing with something , choosing to because we can, passing on blind corners, passing on a cresting road, you name it we will try it - we got away with it last time.

2) Inattention - contributors are: texting, talking on the phone, bored, just not up to the task, distracted, not interested, tired, don't get it, don't have the skills.

Reasons we lose control are:

1) we just f**k it up - drive into a situation and react afterwards without the planning, decision making or driving skills to deal with a basic issue,

2) The tyres / suspension vehicle dynamics are simply are not up to the job.

90% of our calls are single vehicle easily/ totally avoidable accidents.

Never been to a call where a good driver has lost control of a good car

Do you work for the SCU?

• Like 1

Do you work for the SCU?

Now now, be nice to our resident expert. He does make some valid statements, for the most part.

• Like 2

Now now, be nice to our resident expert. He does make some valid statements, for the most part.

It's a legit question.

• Like 1

Volunteer fire fighter I think? Could be wrong...

• Like 1

Is it time we as a community did something about it? I really wouldnt know where to start, but happy to help where I can...

• Like 2

This is true.

Other BS groups complaining about whatever seem to be able to get things changed, so why not try start a campaign about dodgy tyres risking lives?

• Like 1

The guy selling these is doing nothing wrong and many other places are doing the same, im sure we have all at some point brought things used not just tires so dont expect too much.

People are driven by the dollar whether it be good or bad, if they little they will spend little, as much as these are dated they are probably still better than a new chang made plastic tire.

Yep- Volunteer fire fighter on city fringe plus motorcyclist who got shitty about ACC levy hike so I read up on the stats to prepare an submission to argue against the fee rise , only to find that if you accept proportional fees then they are correct in their assessment.

40% of our total calls are MVA's

Crunch- yes he is doing nothing technically/ legally wrong, BUT could we all do a bit better and should the standard be a bit higher ??

Correct and agree

Peoples standards are directly related to their income, the 10% topend of the market dont hesitate to buy top of the line others tend to cut corners where they can and sadly their car is on top of that list.

new tyres arent that expensive, and its not like they tend to creep up on you (unless they become damaged etc) and take a while to wear down enough to require replacement.

I whole heartedly support policing the age of tyres. Old tyres with heaps of tread are no safer than tyres below the legal treat depth limit.

Edited by KwS

Crunch- yes he is doing nothing technically/ legally wrong, BUT could we all do a bit better and should the standard be a bit higher ??

Law and morals are entirely separate though :)

It may be legal, but doesn't mean we have to be ok with it.

Could be some legit uses for them I guess, cars used off the road (farms, paddocks and general stuffing around), drifting ect. So they could be legal to use for these purposes, but illegal to use on the road.

Might not be a bad thing to make them illegal to sell as well though just to help ensure they stay off the streets, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of second hand tyres of a reasonable age anyway.

• Like 1

Laws and morals are again based on your standards as per those with less money,

New tires are not expensive Chang made plastic tires again you may not use them but many do, people by nature are tight if they can save a buck they will.

Pick one of the lesser evils, people use these brand names that maybe pretty average or they run around on bald tires

Agree with ya a wee bit Steve, i would rather (and do) drive on second hand premium tyres than buying new ling longs. i just dont do the mileage to justify a set of brand new pirellis each time, they would be 10 years old before i got half way through them

but difference between 2 years old and 15 years old!

• Like 3

Agree with ya a wee bit Steve, i would rather (and do) drive on second hand premium tyres than buying new ling longs. i just dont do the mileage to justify a set of brand new pirellis each time, they would be 10 years old before i got half way through them

but difference between 2 years old and 15 years old!

Totally agree,

But none of our opinions will stop those on low income from buying them, i believe the separation between classes grows daily things like for some become the only chose they have.

I should start making my tire treatment again, sell a bottle with every set they buy

Some people just don't see the difference other than price, one costs $120, the other $400. They both are black and go round in circles, job done in their mind. And why spend $800 in tyres on their $1500 car?

• Like 6