Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Calypso E36 Touring

Hi guys,

Here's some pics of my new daily. I managed to get my hands on this beautiful example for a massive bargain, and am yet to find fault with the her. A few notes of warning from the AA inspection in chch turned out to be utter bullcrap as i had it inspected up here in akl and there was nothing remarkable to report at all.

Shes a NZ new 1998 318i touring MANUAL in calypso red with 126,000kms on the clock, and is as tight as the day she was born.

post-2821-1286495138.jpg

post-2821-1286495165.jpg

post-2821-1286495205.jpg

post-2821-1286495223.jpg

post-2821-1286495256.jpg

Not bad for cellphone pics eh?

It's naaais. Any plans for her?

I'm on the fence with that. As much as I'd like to keep it stock I still find myself leaning towards an m3 kit and some stance work with some mesh style wheels. The problem is I've already got a project car and I really only bought it as an economic daily to oppose the gas guzzling weekend toy. I also enjoy the sleeper value as i can definitely say that I "Saw the police and they rolled right past me, No flexin, didn't even look in a *****'s direction as I ran the intersection"........ :ph34r:

I'm on the fence with that. As much as I'd like to keep it stock I still find myself leaning towards an m3 kit and some stance work with some mesh style wheels.

Do eett.

You going to paint the grey skirtings too right? :P

Drop, guard roll and low offset wheels will really set her off!

Attas Hartges would be PERFECT!

Nice score! Text Sam for his Hartge 16" 3-pieces. They need a refurb but are otherwise sweet. They'd look titties on it too.

More info on these 16" Hartge's... :mellow:

Edited by crazyarab

Posted Image

are these sams? as the 4 stud will be a problem if so... That hartge kit looks tidy! is it just a front lip and colour coded bumpers? Would be a much cheaper option than the m kit too.

Il drop him a text, see what he thinks, munys tight atm tho so well see. Im keen for black leathers on the inside first tho!

More info on these 16" Hartge's... :mellow:

+1!

Trademe bid war!!

So an expensive lesson learnt this week.

Replace your thermostat every two weeks otherwise ur sneaky little m43 will seize to f**k.

2200 dollars later ive got a new thermostat!!!!

+ head skim

+ gasket

+ head bolts

+ water fittings

+ billions of other things that got changed cos i didnt have time to do it myself.

poor e30's feeling left out.....

Typical M43.

Your lucky there was no corrosion on the back of the block around No4 cylinder as well.....more $$$

did you not see the temp gauge go up into the red??

Your lucky there was no corrosion on the back of the block around No4 cylinder as well.....more $$$

Ha, = new secondhand block, been there.

did you not see the temp gauge go up into the red??

nup, i didnt notice anything out of the ordinary, i think as the thermo malfunctioned the display may have aswell.

QUOTE "A few notes of warning from the AA inspection in chch turned out to be utter bullcrap as i had it inspected up here in akl and there was nothing remarkable to report at all."

Was this "bullcrap" anything to do with cooling system issues ??... no offence intended... just curious

QUOTE "A few notes of warning from the AA inspection in chch turned out to be utter bullcrap as i had it inspected up here in akl and there was nothing remarkable to report at all."

Was this "bullcrap" anything to do with cooling system issues ??... no offence intended... just curious

nothing was mentioned about the cooling system at all. it wasn't missing a beat till it seized.

Nice. I would leave it stock but add a nice set of period E36 328i or Mspec alloys

The wagon has received some much needed TLC over the last few weeks.

- New wheels 17x8 BBS RX with 225/45 Michelin PS3's

- New AFE oil/mesh panel filter as the old was tatty and paper.

- New clutch arm bushings - removed the damned squeak and side to side play.

Heres what the new ones look like, and the old shitty ones with a slot in them? (weird design imo)

post-2821-1337189247.jpgpost-2821-1337189255.jpgpost-2821-1337189270.jpg

- Also new rotors & pads all round and converted to the larger e36 calipers at the front. Front rotors slotted just for shits and giggles.... (will add some pics once i take wheels off to rebleed)

My tourings air quality has decreased in volume and also smells like a combination of cow pat & silage, so I decided to replace the cabin air filter. Should be done every year apparently?

I went online and found a few websites that helped but all for LHD. After taking a few mental notes I just decided to take a crack at it myself.

How to replace Cabin air filter in RHD e36 (excludes compact). Takes 10-15min going slowly.

1. Remove panel under steering wheel.

2. Remove foot well vent by popping plastic pins out of holes.

post-2821-1346370839.jpg

3. Pull plug holster off steering column and away from blower to help with room for removal and installation.

post-2821-1346370863.jpg

4. Turn lock anti-clockwise to release and pull on cover to reveal filter element.

post-2821-1346370897.jpgpost-2821-1346370902.jpg

5. Push filter element tab to front of car and pull out to remove. (It will be in 3 pieces and will need co-ordination to hold plug holster away for room while you remove).

6. Clean out filter recess in blower as best you can.

7. Break new filter element into 3 pieces and reinstall just like removal.

post-2821-1346370968.jpgpost-2821-1346371007.jpg

8. Push tab back towards rear of vehicle to seat properly on foam.

post-2821-1346371033.jpg

9. Reinstall cover, turning clockwise to secure.

10. Pop holster back onto steering wheel and reinstall foot well vent with plastic pins.

post-2821-1346371066.jpg

11. Screw cover back onto underdash.

Done! Result is crisp clean freer flowing air. Only at a cost of $48.00 from Euro-Italian. Cheers Gav!

Here's another pic to show contrast of the old and new:

post-2821-1346370769.jpg

Next on the list in replacing the shitty single pipe with a 328's twin catback... extra 50hp right there :D

Good write up on the microfilter replacement Andrew... have stickied your post in the maintenance forum.

Sweet ride. Gotta love those AA reports - as soon as its a BMW they instantly give it a bad score.. fools.

Like I've said I really like the E36 wagons, despite the E36 series being old I think they have aged very well.

All you need now is a set of engine and gearbox mounts for a 1UZ conversion!

Guest Ari Gold

Awesome writeup Huddy!

Also, I never saw the interest in the Hartges - they're still up for sale if anyone is keen, I'm leaving the country and need them gone!

I've not long done both cars and managed to get them in without having to break it in three. don't think Haynes manual said to either. Old ones were in three tho...

I've not long done both cars and managed to get them in without having to break it in three. don't think Haynes manual said to either. Old ones were in three tho...

Are they a coupe or a compact? I'd think the coupe's heater/dash is shorter and is probably more space from a different angle of the steering column. The compact is a completely different kettle of fish so unsure of that too.

There is no way I'd have been able to get it in without as it was still relatively tight against the column with it broken in 3.