Sign in to follow this  
explisick

Conversion ideas - E39 Touring

Hey team,

Ok so i have myself an E39 Touring 528i, I just love the beema wagons! Well infact i love wagons over sedans and the Touring seems to be a hard one to come by..... :)

I am wanting to reach out to you guys and offer your knowledge on doing a v8 conversion as i love the sound! Im tossing up between a Lexus 1uz fe and the M60 or M62.

What would be the better option in terms of cost and ease of install? Will the BM engines drop straight in and plug into the current loom etc, Lexus will need to be run by an aftermarket ecu?

I am currently changing the front end on my touring in regards to suspension (struts are shot), bushes etc....

Any tips you guys can give me would be awesome, i would love to keep this standard and trade in on a 540i Touring but i dont think a v8 touring will pop up anytime soon! :rolleyes:

You would be just best to buy a 540i in my opinion.

Since you can get a stock V8 E39 I don't see any advantage in converting it to one.

I would only do it if I could get my hands on a 540i sedan that's been wrecked using it as a donor car.

I've seen an old 1UZ 540i E34, not a bad idea but when you factor in the early 1UZ stock is 30hp and 45nm down from a stock M60, and a fair way behind a stock 4.4 M62 Vanos it seems like a lot of effort for the wrong sort of gain.

Perhaps a 3.2 M3 motor would be nice, but perhaps too heavy a car to see beneficial gains of that six cylinder.. idk?

Edited by Michael.

S50 too heavy ? quite the opposite

The variants of the M52 range from 150kg to 177 kgs

The V8's on the other hand are 220kgs plus - like 50 to 70 kg heavier.

The inline six engined versions specifically the 528 are known for better balance and handling

With a modest 142 kw swapping to an S50 gives 210 kW thats a 60kW or 40% gain in power well worth having and with a more dynamic engine.

Staying with a Six allows the retention of the light weight front subframe and rack and pinmions steering which makes the 528 a light weight at 1500 kg compared to the V8 at 1740kg

S50/S54 would be the way id go too given the options. i originally was going to do M60 conversion on my touring (yes its E34 but otherwise similar issues to E39), but worked it out and really waste of money when you can buy one done and 'certed' from the factory. Was considering doing the S50 to that, but decided to go for M70 instead in the end.

540i Tourings both E34 and E39 are out there, you'll just have to wait a while as not as common as sedans, but no touring is.

Unless you have a wagon thats MINT....

super charge it and 5spd manual.

easy bolt on stuff

super charge it and 5spd manual.

easy bolt on stuff

+1!

my ultimate E39 = 530i manual touring B) 528 manual would be pretty cool. supercharger kit would probably be cheaper, easier and faster to fit than a conversion.

S50 too heavy ? quite the opposite

No I was meaning the car chassis (e39 touring) being ~1650kg or whereabouts would probably be a bit heavy for the S50 that is home in a 1400kg M3.

Of course it would go pretty well, I just dont see it as an ideal setup when you stack up the torque / weight figures.

Yeah that is true, that is true.

It is fairer to compare the S50 to the original M52 six..

After thinking about it, I agree with your opinion there, the S50 + E39 touring body would be the way to go, it's would be a unique setup that has to be built, where as a 540i touring can just be bought.

I know I would be 'wowed' by an E39 Touring with an S50, where as if it had the V8 converted comments would just steer to the point you can buy a V8 as factory so why bother converting it.

dont worry about a poxy six,go a s62 ! ;)

MMMmmmmm, S62 = The Dream!

The problem with "just go to a 540i" is that the majority of them are sedans! I currently have a touring and i believe it's tidy as! I have been keeping an eye out for one for a while now and this popped up recently....

post-17301-1354782906.jpg

Thanks for your responses guys, really appreciate it :) Projects are awesome just have to nut em out thoroughly...i know you will always hit speed bumps! lol!!

I like the idea of a supercharger as it as mentioned - bolt on mods!!

The v8 is pulling me in though!! damnit! :D

I wouldn't go for any ///M engine, the premium you pay $/hp is terrible.

If I were dreaming, Grab an old M50B25NV stroke it with a crank from a toasted/throw-away M54B30, throw some nice H-beam rods & forged pistons in the bottom end, a nice HX40 c/o Crunchy and a Link G4 with a good tune.

[flame suit]

If I were being sensible (from my POV), stick a late model vvti 2JZ-GTE & 5spd auto in there.

[/flame suit]

[flame suit]

If I were being sensible (from my POV), stick a late model vvti 2JZ-GTE & 5spd auto in there.

[/flame suit]

Even better idea.

Even better idea.

+1

I could do without the v8 rumble then! :lol:

I guess i was also looking at cost effective ways of dropping a V8 into her, i love low down power. It maybe easier after reading the above that she stays as is and i try to find a v8 touring........ha!

The link provided is for a sedan and im making my way through the doc......the more i read though it becomes apparent that it is not as simple as drop in, plug in and off you go!

The 1uz to me is best engine for cost which i presume would also include a aftermarket ecu...M60 engine or M62 look like a mission where as i thought it would be a simple plug n play and the engine would bolt to the box etc....Reading further i will have to change the front end - struts, sway bars bushes etc... <_<

Chuck in a two valve pushrod piece of sh*t yank engine and really turn your car into a dog

+1!!!!!

Ever seen a standard manual Commodore SS around Pukekohe??? We used to do track days pretty often, and a relative had a new VT 6speed SS at the time. Sure they were only 5.7's, but he just barely managed to beat an NA Pulsar 1.8 GTI :lol:

:rolleyes:

Ever driven a 5 series V8 around a race track? How about a nice 540i vs a C6 Corvette, maybe a Camaro ZL1 or a HSV GTS? Seeming we are making silly comparisons.

The LS series is perfect for a conversion, it has a lot of pro's vs a German or Jap V8, its lighter, smaller, more reliable and there are an abundance of parts available cheap for them.. did I mention its way more powerful??

BMW E39 will make 200kw, a LS2 will make 350kw easy, 500kw with a supercharger.

Was just a thought, a Chev powered E39 with a manual gearbox and LSD would be a beast!

Er... OK.

They aren't particularly GOOD ,as such, just big. They are quite cheap of course.

A brilliant conversion for an E39 Touring would be to build an M5 touring. Sure it's only a measly 4.9L V8, but it's actually good. 294KW and not 6.2 litres. Piles of torque, and heaps of revs available when required B) They sound good, and can still be supercharged B)

If it WAS 6.2 L, it would theoretically be 372 KW standard, with all that torque available really low from the Dual Vanos and more revs to take advantage of gearing.

...A brilliant conversion for an E39 Touring would be to build an M5 touring....

No argument there, and a few have done the conversion with great results.

But if you want to compare with that LS3... has anyone ever priced up a S62B50 Complete 'turnkey' crate motor??

I'd be curious just for shits'n'giggles. I'd heard +20k for a bare longblock when that guy blew his at Taupo few yrs ago.

A more realistic source would be like what HellBM did, and buy a wrecked M5 and swap 'everything' over.

Even then, I'm sure the cost (of someone not in the trade) would be eye-watering.

There are a couple of 3UZ's (4.3l VVTi) on trademe at the moment which are A LOT better that the 1UZ's (with respect to power / torque) and close to that of a M62B44, but with [flamesuit again] the Toyota reliability [/flamesuit]

[broken record]

Still can't beat a 2JZ for $/hp and reliability.

[/broken record]

No argument there, and a few have done the conversion with great results.

But if you want to compare with that LS3... has anyone ever priced up a S62B50 Complete 'turnkey' crate motor??

I'd be curious just for shits'n'giggles. I'd heard +20k for a bare longblock when that guy blew his at Taupo few yrs ago.

A more realistic source would be like what HellBM did, and buy a wrecked M5 and swap 'everything' over.

Even then, I'm sure the cost (of someone not in the trade) would be eye-watering.

There are a couple of 3UZ's (4.3l VVTi) on trademe at the moment which are A LOT better that the 1UZ's (with respect to power / torque) and close to that of a M62B44, but with [flamesuit again] the Toyota reliability [/flamesuit]

[broken record]

Still can't beat a 2JZ for $/hp and reliability.

[/broken record]

quite right but out one in a windom or camry...

+1 on manual conversion and supercharged for best money spent and even stroke it like E30-323ti said

Id definitely want to keep the R&P steering. If you want a V8 you might as well just wait till ones comes up

Not a fan at all of foreign engines myself.

:rolleyes:

Ever driven a 5 series V8 around a race track? How about a nice 540i vs a C6 Corvette, maybe a Camaro ZL1 or a HSV GTS? Seeming we are making silly comparisons.

The LS series is perfect for a conversion, it has a lot of pro's vs a German or Jap V8, its lighter, smaller, more reliable and there are an abundance of parts available cheap for them.. did I mention its way more powerful??

BMW E39 will make 200kw, a LS2 will make 350kw easy, 500kw with a supercharger.

Was just a thought, a Chev powered E39 with a manual gearbox and LSD would be a beast!

Too old school

Put BMW's best Six into it, hpf treatment and you have possibly the worlds fastest E39 wagon.

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetail...ts/E46_M3/11037

Or replace it with a E60 M5 ?

Put a real V8 in it, never mind the over engineered and under power euro trash and jap crap!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-539067847.htm

That's what I would be doing, or maybe a turbo Barra motor,possibly a 2j. Anything else is a waste of time with 540s about.

Drove an SRT10 yesterday, what about one of them? 43L/100km and mummy loads of go and torque.