Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 V8 restoration

LSD huge grip.My 535 wouldn't spin the wheels even in the wet unless you tried to

Really? Our M325i was all over the show in the wet with LSD.

Jules, look forward to it, only a few kw shy of the Falcon......

Really? Our M325i was all over the show in the wet with LSD.

yea but the e34 has so much more mechanical grip to start with than a tail happy e30 etc

my e34 544i is the same , have to work it to get the tyres to spin , where as the e28 will do sideways at the drop of a hat :)

haha! I know... You set the bar high! Should be fun.

Bling indeed. It arrives next week. Now got to try and beg, borrow and steal the cash for new rotors (I have pads already), two drive-shaft safety loops for the cert, the cert and a tune.

Ouch. Might be a while before I can actually install it and cert it!!

Bling indeed. It arrives next week. Now got to try and beg, borrow and steal the cash for new rotors (I have pads already), two drive-shaft safety loops for the cert, the cert and a tune.

Ouch. Might be a while before I can actually install it and cert it!!

The wallet must feel lighter just from typing that out haha!!!!

The wallet doesn't know what's hit it. Plan is to do the following in this order:

• Media blast, sand and powdercoat rocker covers
  • Replace pads and rotors
  • Install DS safety loops
  • Install SC
  • Tune
  • Cert
  • LSD

That way I can keep an eye on the budget and delay the SC install (or even sell the SC) if things get too tight. If I had to sell it I'm sure I'd get my money back so I'd be back on track with what is still a great car!!

Edited by jeffbebe

Drank a couple of beers with Martin (breakmywindow) yesterday and prised off the valve covers between swigs. Going to strip and powdercoat them this week. The horrible oxidising magnesium alloy does nothing for my OCD - plus all sorts of crap is flaking off into my engine.

By the looks of things the previous owners weren't changing the oil as often as I would but it's not terrible and a fresh change once the covers back in will is a must.

post-16586-0-69436700-1390858718.jpg

post-16586-0-05955700-1390858726.jpg

Not quite what I hoped to see inside but not the end of the world. Can't really risk scraping it out as it'll probably loosen even more than will then get into the engine and cause more problems. Will flush and change the oil once the covers are back on. Can anyone recommend any effective cleaners that won't do more harm than good? Not about to pull the whole thing to piece to clean it so will try and tidy it up as best I can for now.

post-16586-0-47648800-1390871543.jpg

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 2

yea i hated working with that magnesium nothing sticks to it with paint. powder coat should be fine.

yea i hated working with that magnesium nothing sticks to it with paint. powder coat should be fine.

Really? I used some self-priming high temp paint on my old 540i covers and to this day it's still holding up well.

Interesting. Haven't heard of people having problems with paint other than the oxidisation reoccurring underneath. I went for powder coat as I prefer the finish.

i used vht wrinkle which worked but the plain primers i used didnt work. im sure etch primer etc would work

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

I read that you can stop the oxidation from recurring by baking it prior to coating.

Apparently its caused by the engine temp getting up and by heating it up for a period of time you air it out so to speak.

Also, I ran some Wynn's brand oil flush prior to doing my covers and the engine still looked like yours.

Would be interested to know a better product.

Edited by 740i_Lou

maintanence

• Like 1

maintanence

• Like 1

I read that you can stop the oxidation from recurring by baking it prior to coating.

Apparently its caused by the engine temp getting up and by heating it up for a period of time you air it out so to speak.

Also, I ran some Wynn's brand oil flush prior to doing my covers and the engine still looked like yours.

I'm pretty confident powdercoating inside and out will significantly slow any further oxidisation and it's pretty cheap to do (around $75 for both if you don't choose any fancy colours!).

Asked my mechanic about oil flushes, etc and he reckoned it's probably better not to. The reason being if the cleaning agent works too well it dislodge a lot of crap into the sump which could cause worse problems. He thought it was better to leave it or, if you really want it clean, dismantle the whole engine and clean the parts individually before reassembling. I'm going to run with the former and just continue to do regular oil changes.

I can probably take it apart okay... Are you going to help put it back together, Martin?

Not quite what I hoped to see inside but not the end of the world. Can't really risk scraping it out as it'll probably loosen even more than will then get into the engine and cause more problems. Will flush and change the oil once the covers are back on. Can anyone recommend any effective cleaners that won't do more harm than good? Not about to pull the whole thing to piece to clean it so will try and tidy it up as best I can for now.

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

That's not dirty.

This is dirty:

Img_0876.jpg

• Like 1

haha! If I found that I would have gone into shock. Seems to be a fair bit of this kind of thing on the US boards because owners stuck to the 'oil change every 20,000 miles' advice. More frequent changes is a must with these engines in my opinion.

haha! If I found that I would have gone into shock. Seems to be a fair bit of this kind of thing on the US boards because owners stuck to the 'oil change every 20,000 miles' advice. More frequent changes is a must with these engines in my opinion.

The service lights are fine.... IF you use the correct oil! Most don't seem to. It's also supposed to be in there 2 years max, regardless of milage. Lots seem to get any old crap oil with the right viscosity (or what they think is close enough), and bung it in and STILL use the service lights! Mineral or semi-synth should really only be in for shorter changes intervals, and not all synthetic is designed for long intervals either.

Our M54 would normally come up every 22K kms, but I programmed it to be about 15K B) 15K isn't really extended intervals anyway, because our 2.5 holds 6.5L, a lot of jap 2.5's of similar vintage only hold 4 or 4.5L with 10K intervals

There's nothing to worry about inside your motor :)

That's not dirty.

This is dirty:

Img_0876.jpg

That is filthy!

Here's my old M62tu after 250,000kms of regular changes using Shell Helix 5w30 full synthetic :

1czc.jpg
0s4i.jpg
  • Like 1