Sign in to follow this  
evil_elmo

cars that deprecate the less

which cars do you think deprecate the least?

my list is

99 honda s2000

07 honda jazz sport

02 mini cooper s

Also a 01 B5 RS4 wagon is worth more than a e46 m3! does audi hold their values better than bmw?

ones that are already 15-20 years old and dont cost the earth to maintain, something rare or a bit special, something thats a car, not an appliance.

I have never seen the point of buying a new car unless you have a business to claim back the depreciation, even then still not worth it in a lot of cases.

Why is the 07 Jazz Sports on your list? Its still a GD, S2000's hold their value but I've seen some pretty cheap lately.

Toyota Landcruisers

Yeah especially the decent Lexus versions. I'd love an LX470, but they are still the best part of 50k!

Toyota Landcruisers

yeah those are never cheap

Why is the 07 Jazz Sports on your list? Its still a GD, S2000's hold their value but I've seen some pretty cheap lately.

they are still a good 15k when i'm pretty sure you can get the next shape up for that money

Classics don't depreciate.

If we are talking new cars, apparently Holden Commodore Utes have the lowest depreciation rate from new.

Hiaces and Hiluxes seem to do well too.

Yeah especially the decent Lexus versions. I'd love an LX470, but they are still the best part of 50k!

Actually no, the Lexus versions depreciate the most from new and are the least desirable being petrol and un economical, they are a lot cheaper than the toyota versions.

Lexus in general depreciate heavily, as do any luxury cars.

Well, from your list.... Let's see

S2000: It's now around 1/4 of the original new price in 15 years

Mini Cooper S: It's now around 1/3 of the original new price in 11 years

Jazz: It's now half of original new price in 6 years

By this calculation, S2000 is the best in holding its values.

Ain't those really old diesel Nissan Patrol/ Mitsi Pajero kept their value best? 20+ years old and still sells for $15k+

+1 diesel 4x4's etc.

Paid way too much for all my trucks for what they are.

These ones are going up

1964 1071 Mini Cooper s 196

Xk150 jag

Bmw 2002 turbo

Bmw E9 bmw csl

Bmw m1

Aston Martin DB5

Jag XJ220

Is there a site that shows what it costed to buy the car new?

Old Porsche 911 seems to hold there value well too

911's do hold good value after a few years here.

I remember a mates dad brought a $230,000 750iL new back in the day, his standing joke was "I brought it on BMW's 3rd now, 3rd next year and a 3rd the year after and by the time I made the third payment it was greater than what the car was worth as a trade"

Was the OP looking for a good used Japanese import and wanted advice on what to buy?

which cars do you think deprecate the least?

my list is

99 honda s2000

07 honda jazz sport

02 mini cooper s

Also a 01 B5 RS4 wagon is worth more than a e46 m3! does audi hold their values better than bmw?

Its a practicality thing, four doors are more appealing in the second hand market. I will have the same when I sell my current car (2011 Megane RS250) vs a VW Golf GTI, they cost the same new (60k) but the Golf will be worth more after 3 years because its and Automatic with 5 Doors vs my car being a Manual 3-Door.

911's do hold good value after a few years here.

I remember a mates dad brought a $230,000 750iL new back in the day, his standing joke was "I brought it on BMW's 3rd now, 3rd next year and a 3rd the year after and by the time I made the third payment it was greater than what the car was worth as a trade"

Was the OP looking for a good used Japanese import and wanted advice on what to buy?

lol i remember that deal on the radio

i've been wanting a m3 for awhile now and have been looking at other options and found certain cars that are getting older with higher km but still worth good money. That got me thinking what is a good buy in terms with deprecation

or is it better to wait for the car to be over 5 years old, then the deprecation slows down?

VX Landcruisers, Landcruiser Prado's, Toyota Surf's e.t.c

However, not so much the Surf's but those above are like literally driving boats.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

R32 GTR

R34 GTR

6 Speed MKIV Twin Turbo Supra

But sometimes we need to remember, some cars are listed way above what they are worth and are not getting sold so we can't determine what they are "worth" based on say listings.

And for older cars you need to also factor in that some depreciate then start to appreciate again. The E30 M3 did that and it looks like the E36 M3 is heading that way too.

Any well maintained car will begin to appreciate eventually. The volume made originally and exclusivity (and therefore how many survive in good nick) will determine by how much.

Not really... demand is a factor.

A well maintained mid 90's Corolla will never appreciate in value (for example). It may stop depreciating but there's no market force to drive the price up again (supply > demand).

IMHO.

I realise that... What I mean is that a well maintained 90s Corolla will almost certainly appreciate in 30-40 years time as there will be very few left and certainly very few that are in good condition.

A well maintained mid 90's Corolla will never appreciate in value (for example).

Unless it's the Chris Amon edition :rolleyes:

:lol:

hilux and hia-ace, vans in general get crazy money for the mileage

are we comparing from new because any euro is going to lose being it started so much higher when new,how can a 911 that was 200k and is now 50k not a big depreciation compared to a corolla that went from 30 to 10

corvettes and early mustangs probably sell for more now than they did brand new, is that depreciation?

biggest loss would have to be mercs or alfas I reckon,people are scared of 2nd hand alfas

Edited by kwhelan