Sign in to follow this  
emac

The joy ofdriving!

I could't sleep on sunday night you know how it is i kept on looking at the clock counting down the hours till i have to get up.Then a little voice in my head said " go on go for a drive" so i did!. OMG!do you remember when driving was the joy? no traffic nice back country roads,dark side of the moon as loud as you can stand, the early morning sun trying it's best to rise and feeling completely alone and absolutly loving every second of it then "bugger" you start to see the first signs of other life just before you turn for home you grab a coffee Then feeling kinda smug you pull into the drive at home knowing that you day has had a great start and those bloody lawns can wait!!!

Sorry i should have posted in off topic. Sorry what a noooob!

Everyday is like that for me dude :lol:

I actually ride my bike though, leaving home at about 620AM, and most of the week I don't see a single driving car until I get to a certain roundabout, 4.5kms from home (half way to work!)

I know what you mean though. I used to drive my convertible at night (when nobody could see me with the top down!) Heater cranking, just doing my own thing - sometimes I'd go the long way home (an hour, instead of 12 minutes) out along the coast, and back through the winding back roads (which is where I live, even though it's only 5kms to city centre!).

No music for me though - just the aural delight of the engine B)

Have this strange habit of taking a long way which turns into driving down a road ive never been down before into the whops and see where it takes me. Lots of coast to coasts for me :) I leave the windows down and drive sprited but not stupid. Especially when it early morning.

Have this strange habit of taking a long way which turns into driving down a road ive never been down before into the whops and see where it takes me. Lots of coast to coasts for me :) I leave the windows down and drive sprited but not stupid. Especially when it early morning.

I think I've driven on almost every road in Wellington for this exact reason! Also, I agree on the no music for spirited driving.. Just the sound of the engine and wind rushing through the sunroof is enough for me. Coastal roads definitely make for the most fun.

Takes a bit of a toll on the fuel bill though with taking the long way home from work everyday.

• Like 1

Made the mistake of trying SH16 at 1 in the arvo, Sunday.

Not a lot of joy to be had ha. Stupid, fat hogs...

Taking the bus to work everyday I look forward to hopping into the car every time :D ...When my partner isn't with me I'd take detours just for the extra few minutes driving

My other half things im crazy to be getting up 6am (before daylight saving kicked in) on Sunday morning too go for a drive BUT its awesome, Clevedon \Brookby has some Ace back roads, I know them quite well but never get bored. Spirited drive NOT stupid. Even at this time there are cops on the road....beware.

Racing in Rally Wairarapa this weekend and I am leaving for Masterton from Auckland tomorrow at mid day to make documentation, 6 hours via Napier and back roads, then its reconnaissance Friday 600km and the rally on Saturday that is another 600km... then home on Sunday, 600km.. so 2400km..

Can anyone recommend any good roads on rout to Masterton, have never been there before.

Racing in Rally Wairarapa this weekend and I am leaving for Masterton from Auckland tomorrow at mid day to make documentation, 6 hours via Napier and back roads, then its reconnaissance Friday 600km and the rally on Saturday that is another 600km... then home on Sunday, 600km.. so 2400km..

Can anyone recommend any good roads on rout to Masterton, have never been there before.

Nope, but I can wish you the best of luck with the rally!

Just the one when you leave....

• Like 1

Ha, well you clearly aren't a rally driver! There is a f**king E34 entered in the event though, a E34 Rally car on gravel tyres ripping it up can only be a good thing!

Pahiatua track is a bit of fun but you'd have to look see if it works for you

i used to be part of the team that taped all the gates shut for about 5 years for Rally Wairarapa, was quite fun hooning through the stages way way before anyone else at 3 or 4 in the morning etc.
But the last couple years i didnt, i didnt feel my efforts were appreciated, so i cant be bothered doing it now.

Ha, well you clearly aren't a rally driver! There is a f**king E34 entered in the event though, a E34 Rally car on gravel tyres ripping it up can only be a good thing!

that was here for the otago rally. has a nice v12 in it...

Hey Graham, are you doing the rally with Dan?

Yep, our first attempt at Wairarapa.

At Hastings get off shw2 and onto Middle road towards wiapukarua. Then take route 52 to Masterson. Its a favourite for us weekend motorcycle types wanting to do lots of corners. Don't count on getting gas on route 52 and it also has a small amount of gravel at one point only.

Cheers, Went down the other way down, the drive from Taupo to Napier is mind numbingly boring... as we found on the way back, took the 50 after Norswood and that was a nice road though.

Best section of the drive down: http://goo.gl/maps/DBBSy

Joy of driving right there, great country road followed with a gorge.

Andy was not wrong about Masterton, it sure has an interesting vibe.

Best of all we won our class.

1375956_10202146383171953_870371491_n.jp

Edited by apex
  • Like 1