Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

Looking to buy a 328i

If the oil leak is minor, it's nothing to worry about. If (like my landlord's 911, in my garage at the moment waiting for me to fix it) it can leave 0.5 litres on the floor overnight, it's much more of an issue. Bear in mind the car is 15+ years old - I'd not be surprised to find many cars of that age have one or two issues.

If you are after something specific, stick to your guns - there will be bargains to be had, but E36 coupes with manual gearboxes, LSD and in good nick are always going to command a premium.

There's lots of coupes for sale, even 328s, but most are at higher asking prices.

In fairness, you really need to see it yourself. Assuming it is as Jared describes, it's likely market value is nearer $6.5k than $6k. However, what it is worth to you, only you can decide. Yes, you could end up spending $10k on the car, LSD, gearbox and engine work, but how long do you plan to keep it? If it is a few years, it could be money well spent to start with a better car than one that hasn't been as well maintained.

• Like 1

Nope. I think your offer should be as it is..................... :)

:unsure:

B)

:)

Didn't know you were looking at cars in that far south?

it lookd really nice, colour was very similar to my old one, I would had flown there and drove it back if the guy took my earlier offer but he said 12K. He will keep lowering it as intrest drops. See that car you checked out, he dropped the price like $250 every week. at first he was asking like 7500. in last 3 weeks he dropped the price to $6500.

these are old cars, apart from a select few those want one, most peole wont pay over 6K for them, and that is if its Really tidy inside and out. lets see what happens.

If you are after something specific, stick to your guns - there will be bargains to be had, but E36 coupes with manual gearboxes, LSD and in good nick are always going to command a premium.

I am willing to pay a small premium but this doesn't have either a stick or lsd. it took me a year to restore the stuff on my 318is and I had it for almost 5 years. it served me well. I dont wana go through all that again. the devil is in the details. :(

but how long do you plan to keep it? If it is a few years, it could be money well spent to start with a better car than one that hasn't been as well maintained.

about 2 - 3 years max. I'll leave the country after that.

Edited by MoJoJoe

Just buy gaz's and tidy it up

Just buy gaz's and tidy it up

whos gaz? and whats he selling?

I so hate the interior of e36's. they all fall apart and the local upholister charges me an arm and a leg for crappy jobs. really dont want to spend my days working on the looks inside and out anymore. the exterior and feel is all I like of these cars.

Edited by MoJoJoe

Didn't realize there are so many 328i on trademe, mostly autos sadly.

Too many to list but this one looks tidy, well optioned and seems like it could be had for a good price, some better photos would help alot though.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/328i/auction-680605542.htm

• Like 1

about 2 - 3 years max. I'll leave the country after that.

Is this ^^^^ a threat, or a promise..............??!!! :D

You can always buy a nice E34, alot better quality interiors. Mark's selling a nice 535i manual. http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/47670-for-sale-e34-535ise-manual-128000-ks/

Marks car is a beauty, but its a 535i. I would think of a 540i. also the price is a bit more then I want to spend. :unsure:

Didn't realize there are so many 328i on trademe, mostly autos sadly.

Too many to list but this one looks tidy, well optioned and seems like it could be had for a good price, some better photos would help alot though.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/328i/auction-680605542.htm

I contacted the seller :)

I'll keep looking and see if the other guy (blue car) considers my offer. if any of you guys come across something worth looking at anywhere, drop me a line here. I remember seeing some nice deals on trademe just 6 months ago, a 325i with a m52328i motor with around 150K) stick, new interior and lsd went for around 4.5 - 5K

Is this ^^^^ a threat, or a promise..............??!!! :D

:P dont know....I gotta go man... :)

Edited by MoJoJoe

Im curious as to why you'd pick a 540i over 535i?

I like 540i's and they have their advantages but a 535i manual is alot more engaging to drive than a 540i auto(which is what you want i thought) among other things.

Whoa. Hold on. Baaaaaaaaack the (special needs) bus up. Here it is. I have FOUND it. That elusive car bro that's got your name all over it. Even 'sticks to the road', & is in your area..........hows that for handy........ ;)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mazda/auction-683489407.htm

Be epic fun around a track

True there Jamie - I've heard its a popular class at Manfield............

Probably more chance of JoemoJo getting that than a 328............ :rolleyes:

Im curious as to why you'd pick a 540i over 535i?

I like 540i's and they have their advantages but a 535i manual is alot more engaging to drive than a 540i auto(which is what you want i thought) among other things.

The 540i seems to have a more grunty engine with more ponies. Even at auto it wont feel that far off slugish I guess compared to the 328i I was wanting. I guess I expected the ommph to make up for the lack of what I was looking for in a 3 series. I dont know really. Maybe because, its a poor mans m5. lol

Be epic fun around a track

with two guys in undies, a ragtop mazda can be fun for everybody who swings both ways. and when it flips over you get decapitated in style. dont think allan would appreciate my head hanging around his lawn one morning.

Whoa. Hold on. Baaaaaaaaack the (special needs) bus up. Here it is. I have FOUND it. That elusive car bro that's got your name all over it. Even 'sticks to the road', & is in your area..........hows that for handy........ ;)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mazda/auction-683489407.htm

True there Jamie - I've heard its a popular class at Manfield............

Probably more chance of JoemoJo getting that than a 328............ :rolleyes:

Lets say I kinda "been in one" and never wanna see it again. And did you look at the colour of that car? Who drove it ? An Italian American, named Rambo?? would ya stop getting high drinking cheap the wood stain all the time. NO MORE JAP CARS BRO!! NO!

chef-no.jpg

Edited by MoJoJoe

Well if you want outright power then the 540i is hard to beat for the price, sounds like you should just start looking harder at them then tbh. If you dont mind sticking with the auto then i dont see why you shouldn't just buy one, throw some decent springs and shocks in it and call it a day.

As for a poor mans M5 well i suppose thats technically true but since you are looking at poor man automatic m3's yourself i dont think it really matters haha. My poor mans M5 handles better and is faster than most poor man M3's ive driven, not to mention its packing the legendary M30 engine which needs no introduction.

Safe to say your be in box in the ground by the time an M30 has a midlife crisis lol.

• Like 1

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/ford/xr6/auction-683302880.htm

Manual, exhaust/headers, new heavy duty clutch, springs, mags AND an LSD!

A bit heavier to get out of a ditch, but not by as much as you might think.

8.7% heavier, 15% more power, 31% more torque.

Edited by Palazzo

You saw the power figure, what's not to love!

Actually, I just thought he was looking for the impossible, so why not the improbable?

Anyway, in all honesty, I'm a car fan, not a one make wonder.

• Like 1

Not a bad car that................. ;):) but yea, we are searching for the impossible I'm thinking............ :rolleyes:

MxJoJoe - bita light reading here for ya mate while waiting for the perfect 328........... :)http://www.drivingtests.co.nz/ Might need to know some of it for getting that condition removed from your licence.............. ;)

Well if you want outright power then the 540i is hard to beat for the price, sounds like you should just start looking harder at them then tbh. If you dont mind sticking with the auto then i dont see why you shouldn't just buy one, throw some decent springs and shocks in it and call it a day.

As for a poor mans M5 well i suppose thats technically true but since you are looking at poor man automatic m3's yourself i dont think it really matters haha. My poor mans M5 handles better and is faster than most poor man M3's ive driven, not to mention its packing the legendary M30 engine which needs no introduction.

Safe to say your be in box in the ground by the time an M30 has a midlife crisis lol.

I will be happy with a poor mans M5 or M3. As long as its in tidy condtion.

Maybe I should just give up. There is no point, I want a 328i or 328is. in good condtion, not a ragtop, with decent milage, good interior and exterior, msports package(body and suspension), auto is fine, manual even better - dont care much, lsd would be prefered. But the lack of these features(higher milage, no lsd, bad interior etc will cause the price come down. Reason i am not going over 6K. but maybe I should.

Not a bad car that................. ;):) but yea, we are searching for the impossible I'm thinking............ :rolleyes:

MxJoJoe - bita light reading here for ya mate while waiting for the perfect 328........... :)http://www.drivingtests.co.nz/ Might need to know some of it for getting that condition removed from your licence.............. ;)

ah, nice! ok. lets see how much I still remember :lol:

edit: exhaust & silencer prevents noise & gases from entering the car. :mellow: could've been phrased better.. :ph34r: other then that, they upped some rules (max speed by 10km/ph)

not much of a ford fan. just not for me :unsure:

Edited by MoJoJoe

You could always- and this is a radical idea, I know- expand your search to include 325's. Bit of a different character to drive, and the fact you will be tutuing with the engine makes the M52 power advantage moot. Plus, they sound f*cking mint. M52 sounds like arse compared to M50

You could always- and this is a radical idea, I know- expand your search to include 325's. Bit of a different character to drive, and the fact you will be tutuing with the engine makes the M52 power advantage moot. Plus, they sound f*cking mint. M52 sounds like arse compared to M50

Well yes, I can see the merit here, given a slush-box 318 has already 'gotten away' from him @ least once...........maybe it should be a 'small steps' kinda thing.......... ;):)

Which means 320, & 323 are on the table too.................. :D

Funny ya say that - I seen a 316 auto advertised............sounds a super exciting thing already.........

If he gets a 328 coupe, I think Allan might have to break out the mig & weld some training wheels onto it before it goes past his place........... :D

Na. I considered a 325i last year, but ended up picking the 328i as it had more potential 300cc more displacement and was the the sucessor to the 325i. But the m50 sure sounds better.

Funny ya say that - I seen a 316 auto advertised............sounds a super exciting thing already.........

If he gets a 328 coupe, I think Allan might have to break out the mig & weld some training wheels onto it before it goes past his place........... :D

I'll just get this then... :D..

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-684575132.htm

to bad there is not enough room to fit dead kiwis and tourists in there, good part is it wont kill anything it hits. I just need to..

Ewww... nah, 320 and 323 are just poos...

Hes from the south man, hes used to that stuff and driving in and out of holes where his house used to be. so a mig welder is a must where he lives. :D:P

Edited by MoJoJoe

On a more serious note.. I dont think what Colin said was a bad idea..hold on now....Look I dont care that much about speed. I can ride a motorbike for that. I had the 318is and I was happy with it, I care more about condtion and handeling. So a 325IS or even a 323 or 320 or another 318is at the right price may not be too far fetched. I shouldn't put them off the list. I see he has a point. You know in good condtion, featured and all. why not give it athought..Problem is...I dont see anything at all I like. I saw a few very nice 323i's and 325is cars last year, but now that I need one they are all gone!

Edited by MoJoJoe