Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Fuel for the manual debate fire

I noticed with interest that (I think) JCBMW had a 2012 F30 318d in manual for sale.

Sold in a week, must be some demand then?

That'd be the cheapest 3 series surely? Arent the diesels same price as petroils now

depends what you call cheap. Id say loosing at least $10k already expencive.

• Like 1

It's two years old, not new.

I once saw an NZ new E90 330 touring in manual at Team.

Cool story bro.

• Like 3

Must have made an impression, you remembered it.

• Like 1

Specially a 330 in manual with cloth interior...

Dont think so, If remembering correctly (what are the chances?) was a gold colour with a tanish coloured interior.

As bad as that sounds it was quite nice.

As unappetising as, say, '05 Nissan Latio 1.8?

• Like 4

VW Amarok? Ok as a truck, I hear Great Wall are good value for money as well if you looking in that market segment. They probably have a manuel version as well.

One cheap pre-pro that goes on TradeMe for a week (not sells in a week) isn't scientific proof of anything.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

gee guys can you throw me a few dollars my pop corn bill is getting large.

• Like 1

All utes come with a manual option. Every single model on the market.

So of course VW are going to follow suit as they are the new boys.

Ford Ranger is a better ute IMO, I drove both back to back for two days each and the Ranger had more grunt, more features, more standard spec, safer, was nicer to drive, bigger rear seats and tray and cheaper. I've had mine (remapped) and done 80ks with no issues. I did buy an auto one but I don't think that matters in this case....

Looks like Audi is now leading the charge and moving away from manuals - see this story: http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/195401FB2E193DF1CA257C9700836672

THE humble manual gearbox could soon be the exclusive province of budget cars and a small number of ‘enthusiast’ vehicles, says Audi board member and head of technical development Ulrich Hackenberg.

Maybe 3pedals should start buying up manuals and if his delusion is right he will be very rich! Plus, prove a whole team of Audi market researchers and planners wrong!

Edited by Crockett

Agree on your comments on the utes above.

Truth be told the auto ranger is so much better to drive than the manual IMO.

If only VW equipped the Amarok with this 3.0 tdi From the Touareg and a decent wheel & tyre package. That would be a better combo than the current highly strung 2.0tdi.

Drive a Navara STX 550 - they are awesome!

I used to help out in my mother's menswear store. Something that I learned was That the most common size was around 97/38/xl in trousers and shorts, so she stocked the most of them. This meant that there was good choice for everyone in that range and they always found something they liked. This customer is less picky than the smaller customer.

The smallest size 30,32/82/S was a tiny market comparatively, and there was only reason to stock a small number, or often none. The small customer would come in, be unimpressed with the much smaller selection than other sizes, not find anything he liked and leave with some smart remark. We are then stuck with a few items that aren't being bought and are staying on the rack getting old. Without the gift of telepathy as to what styles to order in the small sizes in advance, it's not viable to offer that customer the same range as higher volumes.

For every 1 small sold, I'd say 3 went on heavy reduction sales often 70% disc. Our smalls didn't break even. We generally say if you really want it, order it and we will get it for you. They still don't.

What i'm suggesting is that perhaps the elusive manual transmission customer is a little/ lot the same? Stock a manual, and the customer walks away as he didn't have the yard option of colour, or seats, nav, etc.

• Like 1

Aha! It's all the fault of them there fat bastards.

• Like 2

I will ONLY drive a manual (as long as it's custom pea green, with cream leather and teak trim).