Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E39 Touring to Ute Project

This is comingg along really well. Looking forward to the painted version!

The anticipation is killing me. Really want to see this with color on it. I can only imagine how impatient your feeling.

• Like 1

Just read through this entire thread.

Such an awesome project. Will be checking for updates!

• Like 1

cheers fellas. Yes, its definitely getting close to that time where we will be seeing a near finished product. Still a few things left to do after paint, need to get my rear adjustable shocks sorted from Evan at speed factor, then get the car jacked up so we can do a complete clean up and re seal of the under body. Ray has some head lights that will be picked up this week, and then the massive decision on wheels <- this part will be a nightmare I think.

Then its putting the interior back in and installing the push start system. So hoping to have this all completed within in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

• Like 3

Spent the day getting the V8 out. Total SoaB job. Now getting it stripped down cleaned up. Installing the new Pistons and Newley bored heads. Hopefully get this in the ute over the next week or 2 and then back to the painters for final paint coats

post-2466-0-04987700-1434263322_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-13447900-1434263345_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-65684500-1434263365_thumb.jp

"Newly bored heads"?

Do you mean newly bored block?

"Newly bored heads"?

Do you mean newly bored block?

Block / heads where the pistons are incased. The after market Pistons are slightly to big for the factory. So they were sent off to be bored out a little and also re skimmed

• Like 1

Block / heads where the pistons are incased. The after market Pistons are slightly to big for the factory. So they were sent off to be bored out a little and also re skimmed

I'm not familiar with this engine, and had no idea the heads had to be bored out for larger pistons as well as the block.

So the piston at tdc sits proud of the block?

Keep up the good work.

Is there a issue with having to get the alusil/nikasil lining redone when you bore the block ?

Ummmm, I have no idea. I will have to get my brother to check and confirm the sleeves etc He has a mate that worked for an engineering shop that is doing the boring. And I don't even know what alusil is haha

ill get some pics up this week of the skimmed and bored parts along with the pistons etc

Ummmm, I have no idea. I will have to get my brother to check and confirm the sleeves etc He has a mate that worked for an engineering shop that is doing the boring. And I don't even know what alusil is haha

ill get some pics up this week of the skimmed and bored parts along with the pistons etc

Alusil is the protective material coated on the bores.

BMW had some problems with it - its worth reading up on.

Looking forward to the engine parts pictures.

• Like 1

Alusil is the protective material coated on the bores.

BMW had some problems with it - its worth reading up on.

Looking forward to the engine parts pictures.

it was Nikasil that was the problem - Alusil was the solution. it's worth reading up on, as you suggest.

• Like 2

it was Nikasil that was the problem - Alusil was the solution. it's worth reading up on, as you suggest.

Oops, maybe I should read up on these things when I'm sober.

• Like 1

when I'm sober.

10am on a Wednesday, not too shabby

10am on a Wednesday, not too shabby

how was it that Sheryl Crow song started? "I like a good beer buzz, early in the mornin'.."

just the time to be researching vehicles I guess.

How's this coming along?

• Like 3

Ah its been a rough few weeks with this, was all prepped for paint and on the way to the painters, the towy's crain slipped and hit the rear sail and cracked it all through the joining points, so it is now getting a new rear sail made up, but from sheet metal this time.
Luckily his insurance is covering some of the damages, unluckily since its all custom work, there been some negotiations happening around how much the insurance will actually cover.

On more positive notes, ive ordered the custome VS XX Gold wheels and the engine is near completion of its rebuild, just wating for the new intake manifold to arrive from Aussie. Sub frame has been sent off for acid dipping and powder coating. Will start putting that back together with its new 375 slotted brakes soon hopefully. Will get some photos of everything over the next 2 weeks, including the twin 3" straight through exhaust and custome extractors ive been working on.

• Like 5

Man, thats gotta suck. Still, having one fabricated from metal has to be better than foam and glass.

I really want to see this with paint on it.

• Like 2

Yea i literally had a cry, like all those hours and hours and hours of work haha
But yes, metal will be better then glass and filla, but my fabrication sskills are no where near that level so im paying someone else to do it.

But because i have been neglecting the DD for a few months, she got herself a new fart tunnel. straght 3.5" from the cats back with a nice X-Force muffler, sound and pulls way better now. The old standard muffler was literally joking the exhaust fumes from getting out. Will look at the intake and extractors soon.

• Like 1

How's the ute coming along Francois? Any progress?

• Like 3

Yea, I'm curious too.

This is one of my favourite projects to follow just based on its uniqueness alone.

• Like 1

Sorry fellas, I been away for a few months on travels and business ventures.

Not much to report on at the moment. I have been doing the under body and over all rust repair, which involves having to jack the ute up and down to fix.

The ute is currently at my mates place while he fabricates the rear sail from scratch out of sheet metal.
We did, however, re do allot of under body rust. Had to cut out both rear sides of the side skirts and rebuild some of the chassis. I have also started on the tailgate hinge, that is a pain

With Christmas break coming up, will have more time to get this finished :-) hoping to have it finished by March next year, only 6-8 months over due

post-2466-0-61686800-1445982000_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-90756400-1445982020.jpg

post-2466-0-07285000-1445982031_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-22139200-1445982048.jpg

post-2466-0-97508300-1445982056.jpg

post-2466-0-91446400-1445982065.jpg

post-2466-0-34785300-1445982079_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Awesome. Nice to know it's still moving along and things are happening. March is coming round fast. Wont be too long before you get some paint on there. :)

• Like 1