Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

1991 E31 850i

I'm no expert, Tristan, but certain that you only need to comply cars you want to drive on NZ roads and you only need SIV to comply vehicles that are of 'special interest' and wouldn't pass current emissions and frontal impact regulations.

Blasphemy!

Not really, Martin! The S62 was seriously underused... It should have been in a lot more cars!!

Still got the supercharger?

Needs more super charged M73....

Had to sell the charger to get the car.... Brent's going to put it in his E34 540i wagon.

• Like 1

Fuggin love the shape of these with the windows down.

10483584_719641284763879_1270856217_n.jp

Super RS's!

unicorn

I love my black cars but the red looks heaps better on an E31. A ridiculous car needs a ridiculous paint job. And a Euro plate

TBH, I prefer the red too... Hence why I intend (eventually) to return the black one to its original (Brilliant Red) colour.

Having the 850i badge on the right side makes a world of difference

Black looks a bit too Night Rider on these... Especially with the standard bumper.

post-16586-0-04757300-1403215087.png

• Like 3

Not a fan of Techno Violet... At all. Am a fan of painting it the colour it left the factory.

TBH, I prefer the red too... Hence why I intend (eventually) to return the black one to its original (Brilliant Red) colour.

That will be brilliant.

MOT'd M5 complete car shipped from the UK FOR sub $12K. Take everything I need for the conversion part out the rest.

That's a little misleading. The cheapest M5 you will probably find in the UK is about £6,000 (at least one that hasn't done 180,000 hard miles). So that's $12,000 right there. Add £1,500 / $3,000 for shipping, £300 / $600 in agents' and port fees in the UK, freight insurance of £200 / $400, GST at 15% (CIF basis so 15% of car cost, insurance cost and freight cost) freight, and then another $200 in agents' fees here in NZ. So $12,000 becomes closer to $20,000 before you can legally have the car released by customs from the agents' yard.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not really... I was watching an M5 on eBay.co.uk that sold at auction for GBP3700. I received quotes to import an E31 of greater value that were NZ$3500 including insurances and agents' fees but not tax. So $10.9K + GST. $12.5K, so not far off.

• Like 1

How many m of piping must exh. And charged air need to go through in that rear mount setup. Whole lotta lag!

some lag. but if you calculate the actual volume involved, and then compare it to the amount of air moved by spooling turbo, you can pretty quickly see what the turbocharger is moving far more volume than you think and puts the charge piping volume in perspective. people do all sorts of things to decrease the charge piping length, but there are better places to put your time and money. also with a 5-6L v12 engine, you are moving a lot of exhaust gas energy.

• Like 2

Not really... I was watching an M5 on eBay.co.uk that sold at auction for GBP3700. I received quotes to import an E31 of greater value that were NZ$3500 including insurances and agents' fees but not tax. So $10.9K + GST. $12.5K, so not far off.

Might be a couple around at the £4,000 mark, but the engines would probably be serious high milers. Plus if all you were looking for is the engine,you might be better off getting in touch with a breaker over there and having them ship it in a crate. There was an M3 V8 engine advertised on Pistonheads for £1,600 with about 16,000 miles on it. I'm sure you could pick up an M5 engine for similar or less.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

some lag. but if you calculate the actual volume involved, and then compare it to the amount of air moved by spooling turbo, you can pretty quickly see what the turbocharger is moving far more volume than you think and puts the charge piping volume in perspective. people do all sorts of things to decrease the charge piping length, but there are better places to put your time and money. also with a 5-6L v12 engine, you are moving a lot of exhaust gas energy.

I agree, and any FI is going to be better than no FI