Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

1991 E31 850i

So far my attempts to get the car running better have been to little avail so today I opted to do something I know I'm good at... Clean the f*cker:

14488424330_9975bd759f_z.jpg

14671904861_33d96ea29b_z.jpg

14675099545_e66936e604_z.jpg

14652093696_0dbf1138f9_z.jpg

• Like 1

Mostly Meguiar's stuff... Pretty straightforward:

1. Spray on Meguiar's wheel cleaner and leave for 15-20 seconds
  2. Waterblast all the dirt off (starting with the wheels) so you're not scratching the paint with loose dirt when you hit it with the mitt.
  3. Wash with clean, soft mitt (I use a microfibre one) rinsing in a bucket of clean water, so you don't dump any dirt/grit in the bucket with suds (I just use a cheap CRC suds)
  4. Blast again with water and dry it with clean microfibre towels
  5. Clay bar if necessary using Meguiar's Quick Detailer as lubricant
  6. Hand polish with Meguiar's Polishing Compound
  7. Buff (I use a $30 plug in job from Supercheap - it's good enough to get a nice shine and sh*t enough that you'd have to be an idiot to damage the paint with it)

A couple of times a year I'll wax with Meguiar's Tech 2.0 wax it after the hand polish and before the buff. I usually treat the wheels the same way I do the rest of the paint but these need a refurb so they just got a wash today!

Edited by jeffbebe

what V12 bits do you need? i just picked up a 750iL parts car

what V12 bits do you need? i just picked up a 750iL parts car

Oooo ooo! All of it! haha

To be honest not sure... Really need to scan it and find out exactly what's wrong. BM Workshop were unable to yesterday. Wish you were local - it would be very handy swapping known working parts from your 750 with mine to try and identify what's wrong such as MAFs and coolant temp sensors.

Going to pull the DK motors this weekend and give them a good clean too.

ok.

DK throttle motors are a very common fail point on these motors, i guess that comes with the electronic throttle system ten years before its time.

there is a crowd in the UK that refurbish them professionally, I have a few pairs here I am considering sending over, even though one pair is known perfect, and the other pair one or both faulty. Interestinly, this is a case of higher milage cars actually being better, they seem to fail due to lack of use. For example, the ones that came on my engine did only 90,000 before dying, the set in it now are ok not quite perfect, not sure how many KMs, but Brent (BM World) sent that engine to wellington, he may know. and the perfect set i have have done 250,000km

Wouldnt really want to send the good pair up to you in case they get banged up or dropped in transit etc, but i could bring them next time I am up.

There is really nothing in them that you can service yourself, i followed a write up on the net, and made them even worse, and i like to think i know what I am doing, so probably a job for professionals????

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I was going to do the same and follow an online DIY but will take your advice. Would love to try the known good ones to see if that is the issue... When are you up in Auckland?!

If you can PM me the UK crowd that do the refurbs that would be great.

Hey Julian, what's actually not working atm?

How are you feeling about the 850 now? has it lost it's "shine" with the problems or is it everything you expected?

a few plugs around the wrong way & minor mechanical items is hardly loosing its shine ?

I think its more a case of.. want something you dont have but once you get it the novelty factor wears off?

• Like 1

Nah... Love the car. So beautiful to look at but the motor's not running right at the moment and comms are down, once I can restore comms and get to the bottom of the engine issues (my guess is it's running on 8-10 cylinders at the moment) it will be great.

I'm glad to here you are still keen on it Julian. I'd been keen to check it out oneday.

still keen one owning one of these myself oneday

Will be able to see it if u come to the coffee meet :)

all in good time. still somewhat homeless. :mellow:

Currently my weekends are spent travelling to visit my poor dogs.

I'll make it along one day. When we are settled.

My dog loves latte's. :)

Thanks again! Fortunately, there are a lot of good resources online and the M70 so far has been pretty simple to work on.

I'm glad to here you are still keen on it Julian. I'd been keen to check it out oneday.

still keen one owning one of these myself oneday

If I could have afforded an M62 840ci with motorsport kit, that would be my preference. Better engine IMO and the m-sport kit really adds to the looks, but I still love the car I've got and the issues are all part of the fun of restoring an old car! To buy a mint Msport 840ci I reckon you'd need $30K+ so you've got to take what you can get!

Beautiful cars and so good to drive when they're working properly... If I achieve my goal of S62 and manual conversion I think it would be hard to find a better car.

Took some pics to help Darren (M5V8) sell his M5... Snapped a couple with the 8:

15185963339_2d68b31704_z.jpg

15185964349_4e2ed8a420_z.jpg

15349694686_d0ffba5d93_z.jpg

• Like 2

its probably a trick of the lens, but it goes to show how big the 8 is when put next to 5. Both look stunning though

aww man... Looks good Julian. Now I'm thinking I should keep it.

• Like 1

aww man... Looks good Julian. Now I'm thinking I should keep it.

Keep it, both cars look stunning.

its probably a trick of the lens, but it goes to show how big the 8 is when put next to 5. Both look stunning though

They're wider, lower, heavier and have a longer wheel base but are a shade shorter. Not a huge difference, but because they are considerably lower it makes them look a lot wider than the E39.

E31 850i

Height 1330mm

Width 1855mm

Length 4780mm

Weight 1865kg

E39 M5

Height 1432mm

Width 1800mm

Length 4784m

Weight 1795kg