Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Am I being too sensitive?

I sold a set of brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport 265/40/R18s to a Bimmersport member. I gave him a great price as he was a member and we had a bit of a yarn when he came to pick them up about the car he was putting them on, etc, etc. Then, within a couple of days, the tyres appeared on TradeMe with a significant profit margin added on (has a current bid for $200 more than I sold them for).

Can't decide whether to be annoyed or just accept that human beings are c*nts.

• Like 1

Gah, I think you have a fair point Jooles. People are weird in such ways.

I sold some shocks when I was parting the E36 for a good rate, not long later saw them on trade me for twice the price. Kind of annoying I thought, but whatever! :P

Won't out him on here... I suppose a little part of me is hoping the tyres didn't fit or there was some other reason he put them up for sale immediately at $200 more than he bought them.

Gah, I think you have a fair point Jooles. People are weird in such ways.

I sold some shocks when I was parting the E36 for a good rate, not long later saw them on trade me for twice the price. Kind of annoying I thought, but whatever! :P

Wouldn't have bothered me if I'd just sold them on TM then someone resold and got more... That's business. But when someone claims bimmersport rights and talks about fitting them to their car then sells at a higher price... That's when it's cheeky.

I know how you feel Julian.... I've been conned, had things borrowed and not returned, or damaged and taken advantage of by more people on this site than ever in my life before joining this group. I can only concede that this is how it all works in this day and age. Not the way I'm used to doing things, that's for sure.

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

Definitely cheeky. I would name and shame to make sure other members don't fall into the same trap

yea you find some peeps like that reminds me of runescape when you buy things for cheap and sell it off for more abit of merching.

• Like 2

Ask yourself this, are you happy with what you sold them for? If so, dont worry about it.

People suck. Thats why aliens havent said wassup yet. =D

• Like 1

Give him a yell, tell him the manufacturers are recalling those tyres due to a defect in that the tyres explode when driven over 5kph and that you will refund his money.

Ask yourself this, are you happy with what you sold them for? If so, dont worry about it.

Not worried about the cash and happy with what I got... It's the principle. A man must have principles!

• Like 2

Not worried about the cash and happy with what I got... It's the principle. A man must have principles!

You have my support with that statement

• Like 3

Wouldn't have bothered me if I'd just sold them on TM then someone resold and got more... That's business. But when someone claims bimmersport rights and talks about fitting them to their car then sells at a higher price... That's when it's cheeky.

Cheeky indeed.

Profit is fine. Lying and taking advantage of community goodwill is not.

Smells a bit like profiteering off goodwill that's a negative in my book

I agree

Reads a bit like being taken advantage of, if the lead up to it was "Yeah they're for my car". Not the kind of system I personally subscribe too. But then again if you got your asking price, or near too it.. I'd be a little annoyed all the same thinking you were helping out a member of the "community". Even if we are all strangers.

In saying that I reneged on purchasing something here I said I would, once I realised I was going down a path that was going to cost me several hundred more than I should be spending to get something I wasn't entirely comfortable with. I felt a bit stink about that because a deal is a deal where I'm from. That might be understandable though, maybe..

In saying that I've had someone come round to my house and drive off with my airbag reset tool, and I had no idea who he was other than being from here. All fine and good, he used it and I got it back a week or two later. No hassle no drama. I'm a bit old school in that someone showing the same interests and is a "member of a community" should be given the benefit of the doubt, or just the benefit really. Thankfully I haven't been burned too much with that sort of thinking. I guess I've been lucky but I have an expectation that regular kiwi folk have a decent moral code, some of it might be a little loose but it's all common sense.

If you borrow it you return it.

If you break it you replace it

You don't sh*t in your own nest.. Kind of thing etc etc.

I've also bought stuff and walked off with it and thrown the cash in the bank 4-5 days later from folk I've bought from here, so it's swings and roundabouts.

I wouldn't be feeling too burned if I was you unless you allowed the price to be clipped back thinking you were doing the guy a help and THEN find out it's all for profit. I think even then you can't apply that to everyone. You can only pin it on someone elses looser definition of moral code/compass to your own.

I don't think it's too much to expect transparency though, but that's just me.

I did something similar .. Agreed to sell some parts and then advertised that I had a buyer and would let it go for x amount unless someone wanted to offer more.

The guy was rightfully upset and pulled the deal, I apologised and offered him a discount or some extras etc but he was all good about it after we spoke. Ended up selling to him a few weeks later. Lesson learnt though. And if you're reading this mate I'm sorry again!!

I took them off TM and sold them for less than my asking price to the guy because he contacted me via bimmersport and said they were for his car.

Tricky one, but we have a community here for a reason. I wouldn't do it to anyone and I would like to think 99% of us wouldn't do it. Having said that this country is full of absolute asshats and this is what asshats do.

• Like 1

its a bit of a shitty thing to do if that was his intention (to make a story up to get them cheaper and then resell them), but IMO until he comes forward he should have the benefit of the doubt; how do we know that he didnt get home to find the tires just wouldnt fit and he needs to go a smaller profile or width? Better he sells them himself then to come back at you to try and get a refund for his mess up, yes?

Better he sells them himself then to come back at you to try and get a refund for his mess up, yes?

I agree with this, BUT if it was me I'd advertise them on here at the price I paid for them with an explanation as to why I'm reselling, as opposed to listing them on TM for a much higher margin. I'd feel ripped off if it was me. Some people have no morals!

Agreed. If they genuinely didn't fit - although he didn't strike me as someone who didn't know what size would fit - then a quick PM to say they didn't fit and that he'd be listing them would have been enough for me to say c'est la vie and good luck (and good on him if he gets a bit more).

Time for a Bimmersport auction dump if you ask me... crap all over the trademe sale.

But then I can be very childish (or so I'm told)!

I agree with this, BUT if it was me I'd advertise them on here at the price I paid for them with an explanation as to why I'm reselling, as opposed to listing them on TM for a much higher margin. I'd feel ripped off if it was me. Some people have no morals!

i concur, but at the end of the day we are all out to make money, just some people find less moral ways to do it than others. The original seller has no rights over it, they were gone when he accepted money for the tires in the first place and the new seller can do whatever they like. The only issue here is the story spun in order to procure them for cheaper.

Bit of first world problem going on here, and IMO anyone that f**ks with his auction is bit of a c**t. You got your money, move on.

It's an extremely unpleasant thing to do.

OK, circumstances change. But if that's the case, just offer them back on here at the price paid. Share the love.

As it is, I have no idea who is involved. Not sure I want to know them, either.