Sign in to follow this  
gjm

2016 BMW model designation confusion

Remember the good old days, when a 320 was a 3-series with a 2.0 engine? A 540 was a 5-series with a 4.0 engine? And so on...?

The six-cylinder 335i is now the 340i. The four-cylinder 328i is now the 330i.

The 320i designation makes sense and stays. Power increases by 1 HP to 181 HP, but torque is up to 214 lb-ft.

The 328i with it's 2.0 4-cylinder engine also gains power, up to 249 HP, but torque remains the same at 258 lb-ft. This means the 328i will be now called the 330i (except in the US where it remains the 328.

The 335i is renamed the 340i, and also gets more power, up to 326 HP and 332 lb-ft of torque. It’s still a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline six (albeit a new engine, the B58).

Diesels don't escape either. For example, the 2.0 180 HP, four-cylinder 3-series is the 328d.

There's more, but my head hurts. Oh well... It's just numbers.

• Like 9

(except in the US where it remains the 328.

soooo theyre doing an e36 m3us again.

Confusionware all over the interwebs now

• Like 2

I guess it's a catch-22 for BMW.

The older numbers (the higher the went after the series number) was a marketing point, i.e. how big is your willy.

Now they have the more powerful smaller engines, but probably don't want their whole line up to be 320s, 520s etc., the 328i is too good to scrub out as a designation. So now it's not the size, it's how you use it!

Maybe they should just come up with a new range of numbers that still go up, but make more sense.

Remember that this started with the e39 though, the 540i is a 4.4l.

• Like 1

They should bring the turbo badge back :D

03_Rear_09_2011-475x356.jpg

• Like 4

It really was a long, long time ago that the digits reference was to the engine cc, even E30 325e had a difference as did E36 318is, 323, etc.

The numbers have been an "equivalent" factor for a long time now, so the engine in a 328i is equivalent to a 2.8ltr.

As there will soon only be three engine sizes, 3cyl 1.5, 4 cyl 2.0 and 6cyl 3.0 there will be more differences than correct.

It makes as much sense as referring to cars built and sold in 2015 as 2016 models, but then that's the Americans for you!!

Yeah I loath the illogical numbering system

They have really ruined it. But it was bound to happen.

just another reason to buy a new Audi over a new BMW

• Like 2

That could simplify it using the model then a number like 11, 12, hold it that will get boring try A1, A2, then use an different number for sports like S4, S6 ...hold on think that's already been done

• Like 1

But what about an A4 2.0TFSi Quattro S-Line...slips off the tongue!

Or even a A45 AMG?? A model code is a model code, you can even de-badge it if you want to.

But yeah, really it's all about showing how big your car dick is..

• Like 1

just another reason to buy a new Audi over a new BMW

You could not pay me to own anything from VAG group. The horror stories of service costs and that always present fear your gearbox is going to explode.

Guy at work has his RS4 getting a new box. I think he was looking at well over $10K.

But I agree with the BMW model numbers. 'Equivalent to' is a stupid way of doing it.

Yes the E36 323i's and E39 540's from the 90's were not actually 2.3ltr and 4ltr motors. But they were close to what they were.

Why not just a 320t for a 2ltr Turbo. Or the 330tt for the 3ltr twin turbo.

While they are at it they can get rid of the 4 series. Everyone said you would get used to it. That never happened. Would take the proper M3 any day.

Edited by driftit
  • Like 2

Why not just a 320t for a 2ltr Turbo. Or the 330tt for the 3ltr twin turbo.

Hmm, not sure that makes it any easier, 320i becomes a 320t but so does the 325i and the 328i, three different models all with same number.

On the X5 you then get the xDrive30t, the xDrive30tt and the xDrive30ttt...??

Could start selling "t" badges as well as "//M" badges on TardMe..

• Like 1

BMW stopped using its number to denote liters a long time ago. Its their to denote what the car spec is. The motor is secondary to this. A 320 isnt the same thing as a 330, engine aside.

BMW stopped using its number to denote liters a long time ago. Its their to denote what the car spec is. The motor is secondary to this. A 320 isnt the same thing as a 330, engine aside.

Mercedes did the same thing. It used to be so simple, but when the 220CDi and 270CDi had exactly the same engine, just a different ECU, I couldn't see the justification for anyone paying significantly more money for a different program and a different number on the back. Many people did do that, so there must be something to it.

And of course, it makes enormous sense to the manufacturer.

hmmmmmmm yeah..

BMWs target market isnt us (enthusiats) its people who own the car cause its the hot new thing and will replace it in 3 years for tax/ego purposes. I doesnt suprise me at all.

• Like 4

It really was a long, long time ago that the digits reference was to the engine cc, even E30 325e had a difference as did E36 318is, 323, etc.

The numbers have been an "equivalent" factor for a long time now, so the engine in a 328i is equivalent to a 2.8ltr.

As there will soon only be three engine sizes, 3cyl 1.5, 4 cyl 2.0 and 6cyl 3.0 there will be more differences than correct.

It makes as much sense as referring to cars built and sold in 2015 as 2016 models, but then that's the Americans for you!!

True. I passed a E28 525e up the Bombays on Saturday. They are a 2.7ltr. Best of all I was in a 1.2ltr and he could keep with me.. Then he shot past me on the down hill with that victory move. Didn't look too bad TBH.

I just wish BMW were honest with the power outputs, the 328i must have more like 280bhp if you look at its numbers. I also think the 335i/340i should have close to 400bhp.

Im thinking its the M models that keep the lesser models power figures down on paper. Nothing new in the industry.

Spotted a 5 Series GT towing the biggest caravan I have ever seen last week too. They must have mega tow ratting.

Im thinking its the M models that keep the lesser models power figures down on paper. Nothing new in the industry.

This is partly why the Porsche Cayman was hamstrung from the beginning. Put a proper 911 engine in it, and the 911 would be dead in the water. Put a bigger power engine in a 3-series, and less people would pay the premium for a ///M badge.

Yes. Its common. That new Cayman GT4 is a masterpiece of a car though, about time!

Holden vs HSV, back when the VE come out, we had a SS and a Clubsport on the dyno next to each other, power was within 15kw but on paper should have been 50kw.

FPV underrated the F6 Turbo as it was cannibalising the GT V8.

A lot a re guilty of it.

I know other brands claim lower figures on paper when they launch a new model as to allow for gradual increases in power claims when the facelift and update cars through a cycle... Renault are good at it, RS250, RS265 then RS275, all have around 270-280bhp. My Rally car stock standard made the same power at the wheels that it was supposed to have at the engine stock.

Hell, even the mundane Skoda Yeti I am currently looking at purchasing has some strange figures, two diesel models, exactly the same engine, one has 103kw and the other 125kw. ECU tune? VW group seem to do that across the range and brands, a lot of cars with the same engine yet different power.

Its gotta be better than back in the day when nothing had near the power claimed though.

Hell, even the mundane Skoda Yeti I am currently looking at purchasing has some strange figures, two diesel models, exactly the same engine, one has 103kw and the other 125kw. ECU tune? VW group seem to do that across the range and brands, a lot of cars with the same engine yet different power.

Let me know how you get on? Considering a Yeti for Mrs M. Considering the 4x4 with the DSG 'box - can't have a manual, sadly.

So BMW is saying it is okay to misrepresent your BMW. The thing we all hate.

M badges for everyone!!!!!!!

Doing a VAG and diluting the brand. Too many models.

Doing a VAG and diluting the brand. Too many models.

Something else Mercedes are good at... Go back to the 80s and Mercs were revered as luxury German engineering. These days everyone has one.

I'm saving for a Rolls Royce Phantom Coupe. Let's see the neighbours turn up in one of those!

• Like 2