Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Driving on the wrong side of the road.

Man that's crazy sh*t, do you think you can get the plate details for the cops, clowns like this gonna kill someone

Well done on getting out the way

No won't be able to get the plate. Glad it was just me in the car and not the missus as well or I would have been deaf in one ear from the scream.

• Like 1

send video in anyways, they might be able to clean up the video and get the plate

a friend who came back for a holiday made this mistake when he was driving me around. He started off in the right lane but when he made a right hand turn he ended up on the right hand side of the lane instead of the left. He realised straightaway but I can see how this kind of mistake can happen after living in a country that drives on the other side for a few years.

It might seem stupid but if you get used to driving on the opposite side it's easy to make this mistake. I'm in turkey right now and made this mistake. Luckily I got out of the way when i saw an oncoming vehicle... I never found myself on the wrong side again. That person in the vid probably won't either.

Edited by Kepes

Why do you have a camera installed in your car?

Doesn't everyone?

Have you SEEN the people they give licences to???

• Like 1

Guest MP0wer

I often end up driving on the wrong side of the road at night (I blame the horrible new zealand small and poorly lit roads around northland for that as well as because, there are no police every around, I am not used to driving on the right side of the road.

Doesn't everyone?

Have you SEEN the people they give licences to???

There are 2 kinds of people in the world my friend, 1 that have cameras installed in X, and the other that stay and sit back at Y watch the video feed from cameras installed in X, waiting for the right moment to jump out and attack the people inside the camera.

Edited by MP0wer

I often end up driving on the wrong side of the road at night (I blame the horrible new zealand small and poorly lit roads around northland for that as well as because, there are no police every around, I am not used to driving on the right side of the road.

thats nothing other than poor driving, i am sorry. every road has side markers. i drive rural all the time

• Like 5

Last time I saw someone drive on the wrong side of the road was in Lindis Pass. I'd just flown down to Invercargille to pick up my new to me motorcycle. A MINT 12,000km 1989 Yamaha FZR Supersport.

It was my second day on the bike and some jackass came around a corner on the wrong side of the road. I had 2 weeks leave booked to ride the bike around the South Island. One week of that was spent in Christchurch Hospital. The bike was a write off. That was about 5 years ago and while the insurance payed for it and ultimately I got another bike I'd still have to say that if the person who hit me was put in front of me I'd punch him in the face for his error in judgement while driving. Then I'd knee cap him for not stopping. I lay on the side of the road for 5 mins before another car came along. Still a bit of anger there...lol

I know people rag on AA but in this case they worked well with me. When it became apperant that they couldn't get a new fairing for the bike they asked if I would be happy with a scratched secondhand one. When I said no they paid me out the next day.

89-FZR-1000-1-600x450.jpg

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 3

Crazy. Sad but we do rub shoulders with people like this in the country. Be vigilant at all times!

On another note, I'm sure your could enhance the image like so

• Like 1

There are 2 kinds of people in the world my friend, 1 that have cameras installed in X, and the other that stay and sit back at Y watch the video feed from cameras installed in X, waiting for the right moment to jump out and attack the people inside the camera.

I hope I never meet you... Especially on the road

• Like 1

There was stuff on the TV news this morning about someone being banged up for killing a small girl while driving on the wrong side of the road - the driver was (I think, I didn't really watch it) from overseas.

The usual diatribe about train was trotted out.

It's entirely possible that some people coming to NZ for a hols, and driving a car, do not speak English. (Hell, there's enough people living here that don't so why should visitors be different?) Let's also bear in mind that the vast majority of NZ is not covered by any form of public transport, so if you want to move around you need to use a car.

You drive on the left in the UK. The rest of Europe drives on the right. There is continual everyday transfer of traffic across the English Channel. If it can be dealt with there, why not here?

There was stuff on the TV news this morning about someone being banged up for killing a small girl while driving on the wrong side of the road - the driver was (I think, I didn't really watch it) from overseas.

This was the Chinese guy and had been here for 3 weeks on holiday in a rented Ford Ranger.

The thing that got me is they both ended up colliding in the ditch off the road. The kiwi pulled left, brakes and took to the ditch to avoid.

Why the F did the tourist follow him all the way to the accident scene??

Edited by M5V8

It shouldn't be that hard as the driver is always in the centre of the road. That being said the first time I got to a roundabout in Italy, I went the wrong way round. Thankfully it was in a carpark.

This was the Chinese guy and had been here for 3 weeks on holiday in a rented Ford Ranger.

The thing that got me is they both ended up colliding in the ditch off the road. The kiwi pulled left, brakes and took to the ditch to avoid.

Another unfortunate reality of drivers not used driving on opposite sides of the road. In a panic situation normal reaction is to steer for the ditch, in his case he reacted accordingly only it was the wrong ditch to aim for. In his native coutry the ditch on the right is the place to escape.

• Like 1

Spent a week in the US recently. Did it twice (one left turn , one right turn). I hadn't forgotten but the road markings confused me (4 lanes each way on a suburban street wtf). Both times it was less than a second.

Ron - can we summarise by saying driving standards in NZ are pretty low? ;)

If ticketing vehicles travelling a few km over the limit wasn't so profitable, we might see more emphasis on prosecution for 'driving without due care and attention', or similar.

• Like 2

Guest MP0wer

We have one of the worst accident rates in the world 40% higher than comparable countries.

What are these "comparable countries". Kiwis make quite bad drivers really, many dont maintaiin their cars, the other half is asian drivers in auckland and visitors like myself who are not used to driving on the other side. The age to drink, drive and the carefree attitude from peers/society/family/school plus the cheap cars contribute to the problem greatly. But overall its not as bad. its okay.

I hope I never meet you... Especially on the road

I'm not in a rush to meet you either. I know things as these take time here, sot when ever you are ready to start a relationship let me know.

thats nothing other than poor driving, i am sorry. every road has side markers. i drive rural all the time

I'm told I'm a very good driver. You guys may change your mind if you live far north. Roads are dark, small, long stretches, police are all your friends who would never give you a ticket. Ideal for bad drivers like me.

Ancient Chinese Hospitality, He was trying very hard to show his love by imitating his host, and its a form of courtesy.

Edited by MP0wer

Just a dash cam , you can pick them up very cheap these days.

In 1976 I had about 5 driving lessons , paid $10 and undertook a one hour practical test to demonstrate basic competence. I was expected to perform some basic manoeuvres and be able to react quickly and stop - the guideline was within .75 seconds.

In 1981 I sat the written test , It was raining outside and the cop asked if I knew how to drive a car to which I said yes , He also asked if I wanted my motorcycle licence to which I also said yes.

I was given a piece of paper to take to the council building I think it was and issued with my Liftime paper licence.

In 1981 I sat the written test , It was raining outside and the cop asked if I knew how to drive a car to which I said yes , He also asked if I wanted my motorcycle licence to which I also said yes.

I was given a piece of paper to take to the council building I think it was and issued with my Liftime paper licence.

Yep 1977 my mate rode a 650 Norton to the cop shop in Titirangi / New Lynn , the cop asked "did you ride here" - answer yes then asked "did you fall off ?" answer No - rode off with l paperwork to take to council. .

I shudder when I see what some people do on the roads and they are not always foreigners.

And I thought the test in Egypt was easy... At least you had to actually drive the vehicle, even if it was only in a straight line forwards, and then back again!

I'm told I'm a very good driver. You guys may change your mind if you live far north. Roads are dark, small, long stretches, police are all your friends who would never give you a ticket. Ideal for bad drivers like me.

Not sure if those trees up the road have recovered from your excursion into the bushes yet ;)

I've personally driven over 400,000kms on Northland roads in work cars alone, 2 accidents:

1 "foreign" driver failed to stop at a roundabout and hit the left rear of my car as I exited the roundabout. No injuries, $5500 damage to my car, 5 weeks without it, his written off.

1 "local" driver, on my side of the road (skid marks started 1m out from the apex ON MY SIDE), on a VERY remote gravel road, offset head on in my van. I stopped with my tyres in the mud on the left side almost against the bank, she is a retard. Had to drive 20 minutes to a phone. No injuries, $8500 damage to my car, 4 weeks without it, her's was a RAV-4, so I was glad it died a horrible death! Bonus B)

I honk at ANYONE over my side of the centreline AND have it on camera. Has happened more than once to a cop car too!

• Like 1

People tend to drive where they look - bizarre how often you see a dead straight bit of road, with only 1 tree to hit, and it's had a car wrapped around it - they look at it thinking "MISS THE TREE" but end up aiming themselves at it.....

It's like drivers who look where they want to go, but ignore where their car actually has to go to get there... wander across roundabout lanes, hit kerbs, cut people off etc, but don't even realise it.

There's a guy at work like that... I don't go anywhere with him!