E30 325i Rag-Top

Is This Where The E30 Market Is Now..?

On 10/25/2023 at 1:22 PM, Neil McCauley said:

Just me or did the Evo 1 have much more appeal when it was an honest unrestored example rather than having half the classic parts catalogue thrown at it?

I get what you mean, it’s a bit of an odd one being quite so “restored” and clean’n’shiny. There’s a couple of little details that are slightly off - the number plates look flat not pressed and the front bumper upper centre intakes are covered. Non-original bumper?

With E30 tax plus M3 tax, could easily be looking at $100k on restoration, hard to tell what has been cleaned and put back rather than replaced.

As for E30s being slow, especially up against other $200k cars, that is very true but the speed is not the reason I love an E30. You can only do 100km/h in NZ, and much over that you should really be on a track.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

I get what you mean, it’s a bit of an odd one being quite so “restored” and clean’n’shiny. There’s a couple of little details that are slightly off - the number plates look flat not pressed and the front bumper upper centre intakes are covered. Non-original bumper?

With E30 tax plus M3 tax, could easily be looking at $100k on restoration, hard to tell what has been cleaned and put back rather than replaced.

As for E30s being slow, especially up against other $200k cars, that is very true but the speed is not the reason I love an E30. You can only do 100km/h in NZ, and much over that you should really be on a track.

For sure Jon. Slow is subjective. 0-100 in under 10 seconds used to be impressive, hell, people still buy utes and they cant break the 10 second barrior yet the dickheads who drive them think they are Joachim Winkelhock every time they see a merge lane.  I prefer a 325i to an M3 myself because at least it has some torque. 

But call me queer, id take this instead. I'm sure the conversation over bumper air vents at the Porsche meeting would be equally punishing though. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/porsche/911/listing/4337273776

• Like 2

I'm absolutely convinced that the GT3 is the greatest "single car garage" car of all time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil McCauley said:

I'm absolutely convinced that the GT3 is the greatest "single car garage" car of all time.

I sometimes feel left out that I don't like them visually. Even as a kid I didn't like them. I think it is trauma from those Herbie movies in the 80s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Driftit said:

I sometimes feel left out that I don't like them visually. Even as a kid I didn't like them. I think it is trauma from those Herbie movies in the 80s.

Sure it wasn't Lindsay Lohan's transformation after the remake that traumatised you?

9 hours ago, Apex said:

For sure Jon. Slow is subjective. 0-100 in under 10 seconds used to be impressive, hell, people still buy utes and they cant break the 10 second barrior yet the dickheads who drive them think they are Joachim Winkelhock every time they see a merge lane.  I prefer a 325i to an M3 myself because at least it has some torque. 

But call me queer, id take this instead. I'm sure the conversation over bumper air vents at the Porsche meeting would be equally punishing though. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/porsche/911/listing/4337273776

Ha! That or that E30 M3? Gee, let me think for a nano second.

17 hours ago, Apex said:

I'm sure the conversation over bumper air vents at the Porsche meeting would be equally punishing though. 

It was a bit of a rivet-counter comment, but I makes me wonder about the part used and for a $200k car, you’d want it to be correct!

Like Dan I’ve never been big on 911s, probably from being scared silly by the 70s oversteer versions.

11 hours ago, Driftit said:

For sure, a bit showy for me also, especially in that fancy colour with the bling wheels. Just an example of what 200k should look like. 

A E30 M3 with the same performance and driving experience as a GT3 would be great instead

Problem is, that is not achievable. 

12 hours ago, Neil McCauley said:

The fact you could turn up to a road race event like Targa in a stock standard daily driver GT3 on road tyres, win it and then drive home while the other guys are putting theirs highly modified stuff back on trailers is mind boggling. So useable and fun. My dream car at any cost for sure. 

Edited by Apex

34 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

It was a bit of a rivet-counter comment, but I makes me wonder about the part used and for a $200k car, you’d want it to be correct!

Like Dan I’ve never been big on 911s, probably from being scared silly by the 70s oversteer versions.

I was just taking the piss, I'm a total rivet counter myself and point out sh*t to people on cars they have owned for 10 years and never noticed, like you though, I don't really care, I just like pointing it out because it gives me a sense of superiority.  

I was never a 911 fan until I got into road racing and had a fist hand chance to understand what fast actually is. From there is has grown as I have seen the passion that goes into creating RS cars.. Frothing. 

Edited by Apex
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, gjm said:

Listed the Baur at $12k, no reserve.

Not one single nibble. Lots of watching - no bids, no questions.

OK - it's not a manual, and it is less usual. But it is in excellent condition, rust-free, straight six, and pretty much every option that was available.

Fingers crossed I get work soon, in which case we'll keep it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-baur-cabriolet/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2023-10-26

Hmm fetching big bux offshore , low kms on this one though 

Yes, big bucks, but then that is a 2002 based version of the Baur rather than Graham’s E30 based version. Not sure which would be most desirable.

An E30 powered by a S50B32 and slicks is what you need.
I did enjoy bullying the Porsche cup cars in James E30 at Puke track in the dark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/27/2023 at 12:37 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Yes, big bucks, but then that is a 2002 based version of the Baur rather than Graham’s E30 based version. Not sure which would be most desirable.

Just testing to make sure you chaps are awake...........😁

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2023 at 12:37 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Whichever of them is Delphin Grau. Obviously. :D 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Vass said:

The price or the car?

Its a nice looking car, some great bits added to it, same interior as my old one minus the Air Con and the power windows, sunroof etc. It does have rear headrests though, seemed to be popular on the UK cars.

I guess that is what people would maybe pay for one?

More appealing to younger guys. more doors more whores, or oars if you have a canoe, paws if you have a dog? 

Very cool indeed, I suspect thats priced to sell, but who knows.

Saw it a couple of years ago when I sold him the roof racks that came on mine.

• Like 1

The kit is a replica, but the bodywork that went into it means that it shouldn't matter. Doubt you could build it for that price!

12 hours ago, Apex said:

The price or the car?

I'm a sucker for an E30.

I'm a sucker for a touring

I'm a sucker for a black Bimmer.

Ticks all my boxes.

Barbara could do with an older sibling.

It's not even priced that badly. I'm still a good number of years off from being able to justify owning one though. I just hope that something like this (or this exact one) becomes available again when I get there.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vass said:

I'm a sucker for an E30.

I'm a sucker for a touring

I'm a sucker for a black Bimmer.

Ticks all my boxes.

Barbara could do with an older sibling.

It's not even priced that badly. I'm still a good number of years off from being able to justify owning one though. I just hope that something like this (or this exact one) becomes available again when I get there.

TBH, the touring is a let down if you want the full E30 driving experience, I am not sure why but I never really gelled with the dynamics, it was nice and neutral leaning towards understeer but mostly just felt slow and heavy and sloppy vs the coupes playfull nature, you would not think they are the same model. 

Also, they are also bugger all more practical than a regular hatch back because of the way the boot opens and how the cargo area is lined. 

They do look great though and get a lot of attention and admiration, and for some people that is all that maters. I still would rate the one I had as garnering the most look backs after parking from me, or close too it. 

CYGY7096.JPG

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Apex said:

TBH, the touring is a let down if you want the full E30 driving experience, I am not sure why but I never really gelled with the dynamics, it was nice and neutral leaning towards understeer but mostly just felt slow and heavy and sloppy vs the coupes playfull nature, you would not think they are the same model. 

Also, they are also bugger all more practical than a regular hatch back because of the way the boot opens and how the cargo area is lined. 

They do look great though and get a lot of attention and admiration, and for some people that is all that maters. I still would rate the one I had as garnering the most look backs after parking from me, or close too it. 

CYGY7096.JPG

Stunning - would love a Lachsilber Tech 2 touring to park next to mine!

4 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Stunning - would love a Lachsilber Tech 2 touring to park next to mine!

Its the best colour on a non M3 E30. I loved it. That was after a few coats of quality carnauba wax, you have to admit that a silver is good when it can get reflections like that, keeping in mind that was a average camera from like 20 years ago.

Man I wish I hadn't opened the "My BMW's" folder on my PC. 

• Like 1

^Brings back memories. An E30 Touring is more a novelty that eventually wears off.

post-2139-0-51670500-1420265041.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I wonder if its still going? I think I paid like 9.5k for it, spent 10k on it and then sold it for 10.5k. The next owner or one after apparently went to town with another conversion. Started as a NZ New 320i SE. Genuine Tech-2 kit from several cars on it, seats from another, motors from other cars. 

Ultimately, like you say, it was a novelty, but failed at being the practical reliable wagon I actually needed. 

I bought it for $7500 off I think who you had sold it too, on the weaves in 2012. Then yes, it was me who went to town on it but I should have kept it original tbh. I sold it mostly back to stock on the ACS wheels to a young fella in Auckland for $13.5k in 2017, who eventually wrote it off. I think someone brought it back from being wrecked and it's hiding in their shed. Wasn't a bad write off, front left was knocked in. Shame really.

Edited by e30ftw