Jacko

The 130i Thread

27 minutes ago, Vass said:

So he bought it for 16k, probably spent about 6-7k for the manual conversion, and is now selling for 42k. That's good profit.

He what!? How'd he manage to snatch that for $16k!? That's some mad good buying.

That's what he said on his Instagram. He's going to put up a video about that.

1 hour ago, Danch said:

That's good profit.

Hasn't sold it yet and likely wont at that price. Its a mid 30's car at best given the likely lack of work done to it. 

• Like 1

Might be the latest kiwi new car in the country? The rest of the PP vinned cars are UK imports.

One video and done! :D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jadon said:

Since listing my car three weeks ago, I’ve had multiple offers for 5k. Is that really all they are worth now? I spent almost double that a year ago to buy the car and back then they were getting snapped up before I could get a look at them. 
I want a manual 130i and I’m starting to think going towards a manual conversion might be the better option for me. Does anyone have any experience with the swap? 

130 prices in NZ are all over the place, low ballers gonna low ball, tell em to FOFF. Expensive gas prices, cost of living etc here driving all the prices down... yet at the same time Japanese stock is dwindling and new emissions will stop them being imported shortly and they'll start going back up again as get rarer as people stack em/wreck em. 

It'll cost you probably 4k in parts to convert, the manual boxes appear to be worth a lot.  

10 hours ago, Jadon said:

Since listing my car three weeks ago, I’ve had multiple offers for 5k. Is that really all they are worth now? I spent almost double that a year ago to buy the car and back then they were getting snapped up before I could get a look at them. 
I want a manual 130i and I’m starting to think going towards a manual conversion might be the better option for me. Does anyone have any experience with the swap? 

You purchased at the peak I'm afraid.
Sell yours cheaper.  Buy James' manual which is a pretty good price.
Some of the pricing on Trademe is just wild.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Driftit said:

You purchased at the peak I'm afraid.
Sell yours cheaper.  Buy James' manual which is a pretty good price.
Some of the pricing on Trademe is just wild.

Yea I timed that a bit poorly. My thoughts behind manual swapping are that I know my car has been well looked after and I like the blue colour and my cars paint is still super mint. My only concern with manual swapping is it having a warning light for transmission. Is it possible to fully code the manual into an auto car?

Another note, surely if I manual swap the car I’ll be able to get a bit of cash in my pocket for the auto box. I plan on holding on to the car for a good while after and having a manual car would bring up the value if I ever came to selling it. 

Another note, surely if I manual swap the car I’ll be able to get a bit of cash in my pocket for the auto box. I plan on holding on to the car for a good while after and having a manual car would bring up the value if I ever came to selling it. 

22 minutes ago, Jadon said:

Yea I timed that a bit poorly. My thoughts behind manual swapping are that I know my car has been well looked after and I like the blue colour and my cars paint is still super mint. My only concern with manual swapping is it having a warning light for transmission. Is it possible to fully code the manual into an auto car?

Have a chat with @HELLBM they do drive-in drive-out manual conversion. KiwiCarLife dude recently used them for his E46 M3 manual conversion.

1 hour ago, Jadon said:

Auto boxes arent really worth much\hard to sell.

Always better off buying a manual example if they are readily available. Main reason to do one is if you have already spent a lot on the car and plan on keeping it. Sure the value will increase but the conversion cost will negate it so doing it for any financial gain isnt worth it. Manual conversions are likely to be worth less than factory manual given the same condition too.  

3-5k in parts to do a proper manual conversion in my books - new flywheel\clutch kit, shifter bushings, cylinders, fluids etc. If you have to pay someone to do it then its not worth it for the average 130i.    

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Auto boxes arent really worth much\hard to sell.

Always better off buying a manual example if they are readily available. Main reason to do one is if you have already spent a lot on the car and plan on keeping it. Sure the value will increase but the conversion cost will negate it so doing it for any financial gain isnt worth it. Manual conversions are likely to be worth less than factory manual given the same condition too.  

3-5k in parts to do a proper manual conversion in my books - new flywheel\clutch kit, shifter bushings, cylinders, fluids etc. If you have to pay someone to do it then its not worth it for the average 130i.    

Dont forget the what, $700+, for a cert too

Technically yes but thankfully very few people care about that stupid rule 

So I’m getting that I should sell my car for a lesser price and just buy a manual car. Thanks for the help and the insight. 

• Like 2

My clutch is starting to slip so I'm looking to order a kit from Spareto. The search gave me a few different part numbers:

SACHS 3000 951 906 (161.62 EURO)

VALEO 826738 (216.30 EURO)

LUK 624 3288 00 (111.23 EURO)

VALEO 828533 (254.94 EURO)

I'm struggling to see why the prices are so different.. what clutch kits did you guys buy for replacement? My car has done 130k and I'm not sure whether I need to order a flywheel as well. 

I'll be ordering brake discs and pads as well but I see that there are 338mm discs and 330mm discs. Is 330mm the right size? Thanks in advance for any help :)

The dual mass flywheels can't be machine reliably.  And they are expensive to replace.
But the guys a few pages back said it is the most comfortable.
The single mass flywheels are much cheaper and have more of a sporty feel to it.  But you can suffer from vibration etc.

The clutch kits themselves don't matter too much.  All three brands are well known and good.

• Like 1

DMF's normally fail before the clutch, you'd be silly not to replace it at the same time. 

• Like 1

There’s a kit on Spareto with conversion to single mass as well. Valeo, €442.

• Like 1

Sorry for the spam but does anyone know anything about tuning the auto gearbox so that it shifts quicker and is more responsive to paddle input. Also can it be tuned so the car won’t auto shift when in manual shift mode. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Jadon said:

Sorry for the spam but does anyone know anything about tuning the auto gearbox so that it shifts quicker and is more responsive to paddle input. Also can it be tuned so the car won’t auto shift when in manual shift mode. Thanks 

Take a look into the xHP TCU software, it should be able to accomplish what you're looking for.

8 hours ago, exextatic said:

Take a look into the xHP TCU software, it should be able to accomplish what you're looking for.

That looks promising. Has anyone had any experience with xhp tunes. My only concern would be bricking my car. 

20 minutes ago, Jadon said:

That looks promising. Has anyone had any experience with xhp tunes. My only concern would be bricking my car. 

Looks like there are 4 dealers in Auckland including EuroSurgeon and Euro Lab. I guess you can pay them to do it for you.