Jacko

The 130i Thread

On 12/20/2022 at 9:54 PM, gofaster said:

speaking of low entry price race cars....

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3916085934?bof=18mMKlsm

bit rough but if you were going that route...

Did anyone catch what it sold for? Got stuck at work and missed the auction 

Would anyone happen to have a good pair of rear shocks for sale? My LHR one is starting to look a bit sad :(

10 minutes ago, Brianr70 said:

Would anyone happen to have a good pair of rear shocks for sale? My LHR one is starting to look a bit sad :(

@BM WORLD has a 130i Msport listed on FB at the moment for parts.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/857155818966455/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Abaca2a5e-99cd-44e2-bcfc-e6a72b4738a2

I'm sure Brent will have something for you anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

^ Aero spoiler too...

Damn I’ve been trying to get one of those.  Wonder what it would cost to get it sprayed?

1 hour ago, ciderbeard said:

Damn I’ve been trying to get one of those.  Wonder what it would cost to get it sprayed?

I'd send Brent a message on here (BM World) to see if it's still available.

Not sure on costs to paint... I still have my new one in a box... I should get that sorted! 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, M3AN said:

4k and negotiable, ripe for a manual swap?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3945277123

And 7k for a facelift auto from a dealer, drive away for $6.5k?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3944517817

Interesting body lines on the front of that white one.

Wonder if the gearbox has been under filled. Very common issue.

5 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Interesting body lines on the front of that white one.

Indeed, looks like the bumper needs to be adjusted up, which would hopefully fix the resting height of the bonnet.

And FFS why don't people know how to hold a phone properly to take photos.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at some TSW wheels of what looks to be off a 135i. 18x8 ET35 fronts and 18x9 ET42 rears, fit no probs on the 130i?

Edited by Antallica

1 hour ago, Antallica said:

Looking at some TSW wheels of what looks to be off a 135i. 18x8 ET35 fronts and 18x9 ET42 rears, fit no probs on the 130i?

Pretty much the same as what I have on mine (except my rears are ET45) and no issues at all for me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Pretty much the same as what I have on mine (except my rears are ET45) and no issues at all for me

Awesome! Thanks heaps

On 1/11/2023 at 7:54 PM, M3AN said:

Indeed, looks like the bumper needs to be adjusted up, which would hopefully fix the resting height of the bonnet.

And FFS why don't people know how to hold a phone properly to take photos.

I always felt like the front bumper on my white 130 need to be adjusted up.  The gap looked off compared to other panel junctions.

We've just sold my wife's Xtrail and looking at adding another beemer to the family. Have an 06 E61 530i so looking for something smaller as we dont need 2 large cars. We had a look at an 08 130i msport locally. 109k on clock and $8500 ono. Needs a good valet, new battery and has a leak from the PS res. Other than that it looked ok on a quick carpark look and test drive.  Looking at TM that pricing seems reasonable. i'd like to get it for sub 8 to do the fix ups and maybe had a reverse cam with an android/apple interface. It has i drive.
Does that seem ok money? How do people find them for space? will mainly be used by my wife and our 4yr old in a car seat but would be good if we were still able to do overnighters away in it without needing to take the wagon. Boot space seems ok?

TM link - https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3962166831?bof=YxFZ1R66

We're also considering an e90 330i but i'll be damned if there's no msport on TM and only one LCI. Are they rare at the moment?

@chuckitinbro - that's a reasonable one, I might offer $7500 and see what they come back with, if it's sound and you could pick it up for between $7800 and $8000 I'd say that was good. Ultimately how much oil it was leaking is about the best assessment you could make without looking at the internals which isn't practical. The PS res leak is a relatively easy fix and a good reason to replace the fluid also and be done with it for another ~60,000kms.

The rear seat space in these is utter pants, pretty useless, you can not put an adult back there for any length of time. A 4yo going on 10 will probably work but this is something you certainly want to assure yourself of before you commit. It's not a wagon proper but I like the trunk space and the split folding rear seat helps with longer/heavier loads.

Cruise is a nice option for longer trips, although I retrofitted mine and hardly use it...

Facelift (LCI) is good, better interior materials but also not essential. The rear end looks low on the 17's in the auction pics and at 100+ kms the shocks might need replacing, I'd verify that and use it as a negotiating point. Replacing shocks isn't that expensive if you're a home mechanic but probably $800 to $1000 for the rears if you need to pay a shop.

They're a fun car to put around town and on the open road, even in slushbox form.

Edited by M3AN

Thanks for the info.

I had a look under the car (again in a carpark no jacks or anything. Under tray didnt seem overly stained with oil. less so than my e61 which drips a bit on the driveway. I think its the oil pan which i cbf'd dropping the subframe to do so i'm leaving it for now.

We sat the carseat in it with her on the test drive and shes fine for space. i sat in the back to have a look and luckily i'm not tall. As a comparison we had a honda fit for a number of years and did w.e trips with the 2 older kids and that was fine.

Funnily enough I thought it was low in the back even for BMW. Do they sag just from worn shocks? i'd have thought that was a spring issue. I'm totally home mechanic. Done about 3 different coolant leak fixes on the e61 along with a starter motor (do not recommend that SUCKED) I do like the fact that its the same motor as the wagon so i'm somewhat familiar with it now and in a car 300kg lighter it should be more fun and nimble. I do love how planted the e61 feels though.

Is heavy steering at low speed common on the e87?

I'm thinking an offer around 7-7500 if we decide on it. Will cost a few hundred for a battery. I'll price up shocks as well and look at the PS res issue.

The other comparison in the mix is an X1. we looked at one and it was top spec one so 5k more than our budget. I've heard not good things about the 4cylinders so would be more comfortable with the IL6

Struts and shocks will certainly need replacing if they haven't been done (rarely ever are). Definitely want to do bump stops at the same time, maybe the mounts, not sure how long they last on these.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're approaching it sensibly, with your mentality I'm sure you can find the right car.

I was just about to post about suspension but Jared ninja'd me... I'd start with shocks and bumpstops, springs only later if required (this is certainly economical if it's DIY, otherwise perhaps not?).

Yes, bad bumpstops are a crazy issue with this chassis, a black mark on BMW. Replace stock ones with the BMWP shorter ones, there are many brands, you shouldn't pay for BMW branded ones.

Edit: Heavy steering? No, not a common problem, possibly related to the PS leak?

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 9:58 PM, chuckitinbro said:

. As a comparison we had a honda fit for a number of years and did w.e trips with the 2 older kids and that was fine.

A Fit/Jazz isnt a very good comparison, they're a tardis and have very good interior space for their size. 

Picked it up for $7500. clocks reset and its showing "Increased Battery Discharge" message in idrive. had the battery on a charger for 2 hours so far. its a Century DIN55ZLAGMF, 500 CCA

55Ah seems under what ive seen on the internet so far suggesting 70Ah or more
replacement recommendations?

• Like 1

Nice score, good work.

Unless it has stop/start (yuck) then you don't need an AGM battery so that will save you hundreds if you need to replace it. But since it has an (expensive) AGM already I'd want to verify it was installed correctly which requires registration. It could be reporting excessive discharge for one of 2 (main) reasons: 1) it is actually excessively discharging, indicating an electrical fault; or, 2) it was never registered properly so the measurement over a false baseline is triggering the code.

Do you have a multimeter? Or software to check the battery registration?

Edited by M3AN
sp

just put it back in after charging it, starts fine, no error for discharge while it ran. 14.9 volts at idle so alternator is working. I'll keep an eye on it see how it goes. i'll get a mate to bring his laptop when he comes to visit in a few weeks and check the coding as well

no stop start thankfully.

7 hours ago, KwS said:

A Fit/Jazz isnt a very good comparison, they're a tardis and have very good interior space for their size. 

you're not wrong. massive boot space