Sign in to follow this  
jon dee

One for the restorers and fixeruppers...

Fu*k it, the next car I sell I won’t even add a photo, just a vague description, and see what the market brings

“Brand, model and year will be disclosed upon inspection”

Special gold card discount for boomers and Trade & Exchange subscribers

Edited by Bennyboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think the dealer is the one with his head up his ass !!! He is doing what he wants to do and you all are telling him he is a cnut for wanting to sell a car that way he prefers. If you are upset about that go cry somewhere that you are not annoying reasonable people. And I say this with the greatest possible respect :D

Cheers...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Imagine you find a car you want on TradeMe... it shows pictures of everything but the interior. You only want it if it has black leather interior or whatever your favourite colour is. It's on other side of the country.

The seller is refusing to show you pictures of the interior or tell you what colour it is unless you fly across the country to see it.

How bloody frustrating would that be 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

Imagine you find a car you want on TradeMe... it shows pictures of everything but the interior. You only want it if it has black leather interior or whatever your favourite colour is. It's on other side of the country.

The seller is refusing to show you pictures of the interior or tell you what colour it is unless you fly across the country to see it.

How bloody frustrating would that be 😂

That would be frustrating. But I'm not sure that your analogy works...

In this case it would be like saying "imagine if you find a car you want on Trademe... it shows pictures of everything but the body and chassis rust." You only want it if it has... ???". What? Heaps of rust? Really good rust? Great condition rust?

The seller was clear here - it has roadworthy concerns, it has serious rust, you need to inspect in person, you can't drive it away... I'm not sure if s/he could have waved a bigger flag. 

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

i think the amount of rust, and the location of it, are pretty critical bits of info.

clearly the seller is not an idiot, and there is SO much rust, that he's adopted this particular approach......

personally i hope it sells for stupid money, so i can put my "not roadworthy rare barn find" e24 up for grabs next week 

the thing is at 11k already????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, M3AN said:

That would be frustrating. But I'm not sure that your analogy works...

In this case it would be like saying "imagine if you find a car you want on Trademe... it shows pictures of everything but the body and chassis rust. You only want it if it has... ???". What? Heaps of rust? Really good rust? Great condition rust?

The seller was clear here - it has roadworthy concerns, it has serious rust, you need to inspect in person, you can't drive it away... I'm not sure if s/he could have waved a bigger flag. 

"In this case it would be like saying "imagine if you find a car you want on Trademe... it shows pictures of everything but the body and chassis rust. You only want it if it has... ???". What? Heaps of rust? Really good rust? Great condition rust?"

Come on, you're just being silly with this statement, it's obvious what I meant. 

It would be incredibly frustrating to take a look underneath and see immediately that it's too severe for you to want to deal with, when a picture could have shown you that and saved you the travel time + expense. 

But whatever, I guess some people like making buying and selling stuff harder than it needs to be.

• Like 1

He doesn't seem to have a lack of bidders. I suspect he's satisfied with his approach.

• Like 1

Bidding went ballistic at the start of the auction which is kind of unusual, so I would not expect to see a lot more action from here on in. Does the burgundy colour have any effect on the value with a BM ? Is there anything else about this car that would make it particularly desirable ? Newby gotta newby :D

Cheers...

8 hours ago, jon dee said:

Bidding went ballistic at the start of the auction which is kind of unusual, so I would not expect to see a lot more action from here on in. Does the burgundy colour have any effect on the value with a BM ? Is there anything else about this car that would make it particularly desirable ? Newby gotta newby :D

Cheers...

Not sure but as a Newb, most 635csi's seem to be silver or light blue so Burgundy is rarer, and with the contrast cream interior, feels quite era appropriate for the style of car TBH. Could be a factor, or maybe the rust isn't as bad as thought - panel and paint certainly seems OK in pics.

• Like 1

So true. They were very popular in NZ in blue. They were an extremely huge seller for BMW ( the 6 series) - even in NZ despite the $135,000 asking price. Sadly, many have been written off due to rust today - even the NZ cars. They were my favourite car in the 80's -additionally inspired by the JPS 635csi's we saw racing. When I was ready to get one - in 99/00 the best I could buy was also an example in Burgundy metallic- but mine was a ex uk Highline. Wasnt my first choice in colour but looked great with the cream leather. 

635csi highline 1989.jpg

• Like 1

I sold it to Graham Fleury (an ex- Oracle America's cup sailor) in 2002 because I wanted to get a M635csi. Graham owned it for around 8-10 years, it was then purchased by a guy living in Mt Eden. He sold it 5-6 years ago to a Bimmersporter who discussed it here- before flipping it. Not sure who owns it now - but I know people who know the owner. I understand it lives somewhere north of Auckland, and is spotted at Caffeine and classics regularly.  

• Like 1

Ah okay, thanks for that.

There must be something in the AC waters, Simon van Velthoven from Emirates Team NZ has got a black 635csi on a nice set of BBS alloys. Will have to snap a pic next time it's at the base.

• Like 1

Now the seller is refusing to say if the ac works.

He wants the buyer to fly up to Auckland to press the ac button.

• Haha 1

My 2 cents on this car. The seller is doing the right thing in regards to how he has advertised the vehicle. He is not obliged to honour ay whimsical requests for pictures of the rust or to disclose if certain things work on the vehicle as he has it advertised for parts or repair only. Him doing the things the entitled bidders are asking would be simply to appease them and for their convenience. I myself have bought many a car out of town, sight unseen and knew the risks in doing so before hand and took them into account before buying the vehicle. If you want something bad enough you must be willing to undertake the work needed to get it back to former glory and not look for a bargain all the time when vehicles of this kind of rarity come up for sale. I have no affiliation with the seller, neither do I know him but I must commend his patience cos I simply would of said, if you don't like it F%$^ off because this isn't the car for you. Technology has made people to entitled to others making things convenient for them I say. That car would require a lot of work but to the right buyer, it's nothing. 

• Like 7

Edit: Removed. Too much controversy, I'll stay out of it from here 😁

Edited by Matth5

1 hour ago, zero said:

Now the seller is refusing to say if the ac works.

He wants the buyer to fly up to Auckland to press the ac button.

He was asked if "all the electrics work" and it's obviously not his intent to guarantee that or the aircon

• Like 1

I myself have no interest in purchasing this vehicle but I am curious about it, have a an over-developed sense of self-entitlement and time on my hands. So I don't see any reason why I should not be able to get answers to my questions about such things as the condition of the brakes and pads, have they been changed recently, shocks not leaking, ashtrays clean or stinky, condition of the floor under the carpet, oil analysis, last time it was serviced, any pet hairs on the upholstery, how much fuel in the tank and was the first owner a doctor or lawyer ?

This information will help me increase my knowledge about cars I have no intention of buying. And if the vendor is really serious about selling the car it would be a good idea for him to get it on a trailer and bring it round to my place so I can ask more stupid questions. Failing to provide this service would clearly indicate that the vendor is falling short of my expectations.

This is an example of an over-stretched analogy and if the first owner was a lawyer and reading this, he would most likely mutter " Reductio ad absurdum" :D

Cheers...

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Blackie said:

He was asked if "all the electrics work" and it's obviously not his intent to guarantee that or the aircon

This was the question I was referring to;

"Does the A/C blow cold? "

Anyway, its been quite humorous watching the q & a on his auction. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jon dee said:

...an excellent post

The sad thing is that this level of satire is going to go over the bimmersport members its clearly aimed at

• Like 1

I think that by not answering any questions the seller is washing his hands of any comeback from the final buyer.

its that simple.

is that the right thing to do? depends if you're the buyer or the seller........

I'm willing the final sale price to start with a "2" 

17 hours ago, zero said:

This was the question I was referring to;

"Does the A/C blow cold? "

Anyway, its been quite humorous watching the q & a on his auction. 

I assume it blows warm cheese 🧀

20 hours ago, jon dee said:

I myself have no interest in purchasing this vehicle but I am curious about it, have a an over-developed sense of self-entitlement and time on my hands. So I don't see any reason why I should not be able to get answers to my questions about such things as the condition of the brakes and pads, have they been changed recently, shocks not leaking, ashtrays clean or stinky, condition of the floor under the carpet, oil analysis, last time it was serviced, any pet hairs on the upholstery, how much fuel in the tank and was the first owner a doctor or lawyer ?

This information will help me increase my knowledge about cars I have no intention of buying. And if the vendor is really serious about selling the car it would be a good idea for him to get it on a trailer and bring it round to my place so I can ask more stupid questions. Failing to provide this service would clearly indicate that the vendor is falling short of my expectations.

This is an example of an over-stretched analogy and if the first owner was a lawyer and reading this, he would most likely mutter " Reductio ad absurdum" :D

Cheers...

hahahahahahah

On 2/26/2021 at 10:25 AM, lord_jagganath said:

^  I would say 15 would be what it would go for, and in 2-3 months, be flogged at 20 as a minter. 

Yeah... but wud it do mad skidz like this wit a LS swap ???

Cheers...

Screenshot_2021-02-28 1200HP BMW 635 CSi with 7675 Precision Turbo - Burnouts, Flyby Loud Accelerations .png