Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

tell him he's dreamin...

Wow, thought it was going to be asking $60k or something 🤯

1 hour ago, balancerider said:

not NZ new - not built to NZ spec 😤 I do like an Alpina but this is just mental

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 7.03.26 PM.png

I wouldn’t blame the seller too much on that, and the other errors, on their listing. Most of it is regurgitating the yarns he was spun by the non-BMW dealer that brought these into NZ.

I can’t remember what they were selling for when they came in, but yeah, he’s a bit optimistic on pricing.

You’d have to really want an Alpina to part with that much cash… 

I often wonder what these things are like to live with and maintain. Are most of the parts common to the standard F31 outside the engine? 

I do love Alpina’s and my B5 was phenomenal.. but yeah nah.

34 minutes ago, NZ BMW said:

Are most of the parts common to the standard F31 outside the engine? 

Bespoke gearbox map and suspension tune aside - the answer is yes. Built on standard F3x production line. Quite tempted to see if I can flash my adaptive suspension with the Alpina map and find some springs.

EFA: there're a few more differences - front subframe, uprated cooling system, bigger brakes (although same as the upgraded m-sport ones), stronger driveshaft and Akrapovic exhaust (which seems a bit of a waste on a diesel)

D3_BITURBO_F3x_LCI_Englisch.pdf

Edited by balancerider

The “base” car is built on the standard production line, only because it isn’t going to be built anywhere else. Plus the car that comes off the line looks nothing like the finished Alpina vehicle. 
Lots of the “Alpina” bits are swapped over at their factory, the BMW production line is planned and designed to run at a very strict speed - you cannot stop the whole thing whilst assembly station 28b fiddles about with the extra tricky Alpina bit. Partly why it has a non-BMW chassis number, it is NOT a BMW.

As your parts catalogue shows there are very many parts which differ, apart from the obvious wheels, interior, badges, bodykit, etc. In terms of parts support these are also outside the BMW network, and I wonder what supply and pricing is like compared to the normal 335d equivalents.

Very different cars to “M” cars, but I would argue not better, more a very rapid luxury cruiser than a track oriented, sharp vehicle. The modern Alpinas are very well suited to long distance driving on smooth Euro highways, but both they and the M cars suffer on harsh NZ surfaces.

Would I buy an old model Alpina - yes, a modern one like this, probably not - and definitely not at that price premium..

@E30 325i Rag-Top arguably the high torque / comfy suspension Alpina is a better fit for NZ's 'interesting' road conditions as realistically most people probably aren't tracking their new M cars anyway (certainly wouldn't want to pay for the tires / brakes in anything > M4) 

In addition it's a bit more low key and doesn't have the hideous grille of the upcoming M3 touring. And they make a V8 wagon. The conoisseurs choice (or so I'll keep telling myself)...

4 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Similar Alpina albeit suv for well under half the price - https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-3371808824.htm

God damn thats ugly though. The wagon is a looker.

@E30 325i Rag-Top How do you buy Alpina specific parts, just through the usual BMW dealer/sources? Do they show in the normal BMW EPC or is there a specific one for Alpina?

So its around GBP35k in the UK, $68k here.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&postcode=ll652yh&radius=1500&make=BMW&model=Alpina D3&include-delivery-option=on&price-from=500&year-from=2016&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0

With Import Duty and GST, lets say around $80k here, landed. He wants a 50% uplift on that actual cost and thats not even a fair comparison as in the UK it had a 12x larger market, a market that likes/liked/incentivised diesels and a more affluent market. Its a hard sell in NZ on all levels.

"Yes. A very attractive price given the original cost and the cost to bring one of similar age and mileage for offshore today. Try ordering one from the Australian Alpina agent. "

Right. The "original cost" has little to do with the current cost on a rapidly depreciating asset like a car.  Given its still valuable but that pitch and price makes him look foolish/toolish. Though he only needs one buyer.

Edited by Kodachrome
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kodachrome said:

So its around GBP35k in the UK, $68k here.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&postcode=ll652yh&radius=1500&make=BMW&model=Alpina D3&include-delivery-option=on&price-from=500&year-from=2016&minimum-badge-engine-size=3.0

With Import Duty and GST, lets say around $80k here, landed. He wants a 50% uplift on that actual cost and thats not even a fair comparison as in the UK it had a 12x larger market, a market that likes/liked/incentivised diesels and a more affluent market. Its a hard sell in NZ on all levels.

"Yes. A very attractive price given the original cost and the cost to bring one of similar age and mileage for offshore today. Try ordering one from the Australian Alpina agent. "

Right. The "original cost" has little to do with the current cost on a rapidly depreciating asset like a car.  Given its still valuable but that pitch and price makes him look foolish/toolish. Though he only needs one buyer.

Sure, but that's not a 'Touring', don't you know a touring doubles the utility... and the price. 🤣

19 minutes ago, topnotchrally said:

Sure, but that's not a 'Touring', don't you know a touring doubles the utility... and the price. 🤣

True, and I too love a fast wagon, but do I love it twice as much? :)

cool car, but *how much*?!  Hell, I can lose my license in all my other cars and still have money in my pocket and in the bank.   I'll leave that one where it is.

I never really got the whole Alpina thing, I know some covert them, but for me an M car is more desirable and more saleable when I want to move on. Plus you have to explain to most people what an Alpina is and if you dont like the Alpina wheels, which I dont, then the rest is just a different take on luxury, not better in my eyes but again those that love Alpina will see it differently.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KwS said:

.@E30 325i Rag-Top How do you buy Alpina specific parts, just through the usual BMW dealer/sources? Do they show in the normal BMW EPC or is there a specific one for Alpina?

99% sure it’s completely separate, can’t find any Alpina models in ETK and the chassis number doesn’t pull come up.

Most Alpina dealers are also BMW so usually wouldn’t be an issue, but with no official Alpina distributor in NZ, it might be interesting.

2 hours ago, topnotchrally said:

GBP68k for a 2021 D3 Touring - newer G21 based generation to boot, landed for about the same as he’s asking. 

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

GBP68k for a 2021 D3 Touring - newer G21 based generation to boot, landed for about the same as he’s asking. 

This. But 'he knows what he's got'...🤣

• Like 2

Yeah RS4 or C63 are newer, better, cheaper.

Edited by GorGasm

Starting at $105k (which is more than it’s worth imho) but with a reserve…

So surprised this never sold first time round with the “bought it off my mate who runs Alpina Germany and first registered in NZ” story 🤦🏻

Hmmmmm... this or an F31 330d, an E46 M3 and a nice E30 🤔

• Like 2

On 4/18/2022 at 6:23 PM, balancerider said:

105 is wildly optimistic. 75k on a very good day...it's not even a petrol

Auction closed with no bids at $105k (no surprise) and it’s just been offered to watchers at $109k plus change.. WTF?

Never understood people that offer at more than the original price.. no one was interested at the lower price to start with, why would they take a higher price on an offer..?

Certainly an interesting way to (not) sell a car..🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1