E30stz

Quick Questions

out of interest, is it possible to retrofit the single pump facelift type in? ive never owned a prefacelift

ring fuel quip for the pumps ,

external bosch type about $200 (this is the main one)

internal after market type about $100 (needs small mod to make it work)

wont stop the car from running if it fails but may cause issues if fuel is low

i have also used e36 e46 types in the past (with small mod) for the later types which have one pump in the tank

which is nice as the used ones are not as old as a used e30 one

out of interest, is it possible to retrofit the single pump facelift type in? ive never owned a prefacelift

Yea it's completely possible. Considered this when buying a new transfer pump. I think brents talking about the chevrolet vega fuel pump as a transfer pump. He's correct too. Thats actually what I bought. Cost me $70 shipped compared to the Oem one ($170). Specs are almost identical. Requires a little basic (real basic) modification

E39 Monitor/Radio:

My boardmonitor is Fubared i think - was working intermittently, but now not at all. So i took it out to compress the ribbon cable connectors etc - no joy. While i did this, i unplugged the tape deck unit while the radio was going, and the radio kept going ok with no boardmonitor for a little while. Then it just simply cut out? Now with it all back together, when i try and turn the radio/cd/tape unit on, the orange LED just flashes once, and nothing goes. Any ideas?

EDIT:

Pulling fuse 56 for an hour or so seems to have done the trick.

Edited by -Alias-

Is a Phillips screwdriver a suitable substitute for a crank lock pin on an m52?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Is a Phillips screwdriver a suitable substitute for a crank lock pin on an m52?

No it's not, the bore size in the bell housing is larger than the pin locating hole in the flywheel/flexi plate. And it must be accurate if your are doing anything with cam timing/vanos.

Edited by *Glenn*

Sweet thanks Glenn. Will get the appropriate tool before I get into it.

Edit: Just checked and i have the correct tool already. Looking forward to getting this job done next week (Vanos seals)

Edited by -Alias-

Got a fairly substantial coolant leak from the heater control valve (64111386707) - and am just wondering what my best approach is, either trying to re-seal/recondition the one i have, get a second hand replacement, or just fork out for a new one? Anyone have any experience around where these tend to actually leak from?

bypass the heater and wear a coat :P

new one for peace of mind, as 2nd units always carry a risk. Where is the leak actually coming from? Could try a reseal with "diy gaskets"

bypass the heater and wear a coat :P

new one for peace of mind, as 2nd units always carry a risk. Where is the leak actually coming from? Could try a reseal with "diy gaskets"

Its very difficult to tell. It doesn't leak barely at all on short drives, but on the drive from Welly to Ak, it leaked enough to saturate all the carpet in the passenger's footwell.

Based on the coolant mineral staining, it looks like from around the bottom of the valve body where it connects to the pipe.

I might try the DIY approach. No harm done if it doesn't work.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

E30? - Mine was the O-rings where the hard lines join - they go square with age. I just got new ones from the dealer or repco.

Also the hard lines that pass through the fire wall seem to get pitted which can lead to a leak. Take the unit out and check.

I think I have a spare valve if you need one.

E30? - Mine was the O-rings where the hard lines join - they go square with age. I just got new ones from the dealer or repco.

Also the hard lines that pass through the fire wall seem to get pitted which can lead to a leak. Take the unit out and check.

I think I have a spare valve if you need one.

Thanks for the info. Will take a closer look and let you know.

On another unrelated note, I'm in the process of replacing the windscreen cowling on my e36. There are four little white clips that hold it to the body of the car, in addition to the black screw clips on the top. At some point the windscreen was replaced by Smith&Smith (barbarians) and they have put the cowling back on with ONE of the four clips.

Hoping to get this done today, and all the parts places are closed now - so just wondering if anyone in AK has any of these spare (or an E36 I can scavenge them off):

skx4wrop.ith.jpg

Edited by duvey

Are these still available? The sticker has lost the ability to stick. Is the sticker sold by itself?

243qpau.jpg

I want to avoid using double sided tape.

Are these still available? The sticker has lost the ability to stick. Is the sticker sold by itself?

243qpau.jpg

I want to avoid using double sided tape.

Have you tried 3m vhb. Its clear double sided tape, and once its on, it stays on. (Assuming the sticker stays stuck to the light unit):)

Have you tried 3m vhb. Its clear double sided tape, and once its on, it stays on. (Assuming the sticker stays stuck to the light unit):)

That'll be last resort as the sticker has seen its best days.

Where can I get the vhb?

That'll be last resort as the sticker has seen its best days.

Where can I get the vhb?

Bunnings has it.

Anyone know the size of the bmw badge on the trunk of a pfl (1987) e30 sedan? The one on the bonnet is 82mm but the badge on the trunk seems a little bigger under the tape measure... around 86-87mm. Sound right? Where can I get this bigger size? Thanks

Anyone know the size of the bmw badge on the trunk of a pfl (1987) e30 sedan? The one on the bonnet is 82mm but the badge on the trunk seems a little bigger under the tape measure... around 86-87mm. Sound right? Where can I get this bigger size? Thanks

and they have a curve to them , pretty rare , i have one good 2nd hand one in stock

E39 528 with the jap spec gm trans. Weird issue that seems to present itself mostly in D. Cruising at 100ish k, Rpm sitting around 2k, squeeze the throttle and car starts to accelerate. Then the revs drop about by about 300 rpm, and there's no power? You then have to trigger the lockdown to get anything out of it. Car has new vanos seals and coming system and goes very well otherwise. Well get it scanned at some point, but does any one have any ideas?

Sounds like a torque convertor lock up issue. Cruising at 100kph and pressing the throttle should make the lock up clutch disengage and bring the revs up by around 200rpm

Edited by *Glenn*

E39 528 with the jap spec gm trans. Weird issue that seems to present itself mostly in D. Cruising at 100ish k, Rpm sitting around 2k, squeeze the throttle and car starts to accelerate. Then the revs drop about by about 300 rpm, and there's no power? You then have to trigger the lockdown to get anything out of it. Car has new vanos seals and coming system and goes very well otherwise. Well get it scanned at some point, but does any one have any ideas?

My E39 was doing similar but I was accompanied by some pretty gnarly sounds too. I would say torque converter off the top of my head - got mine reconditioned and it sorted all issues and runs like a dream with no hiccups - I can't exactly remember, but scanning didn't give an idea to the issue - it was only the symptoms I was presented with that hinted towards the TC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my E34 Hub, is it an asymmetric or symmetric hub? (need to replace the bearing)

post-4560-0-22183500-1395731935_thumb.jp

Edited by _Matt_

Does anyone know where I could get a new o2 sensor for an M20B20 at a fair price?

Does anyone know where I could get a new o2 sensor for an M20B20 at a fair price?

Try Paul at www.milland.co.nz