Sign in to follow this  
melowpuf

The Dirty Dozen does Pukekohe Raceway 30/10/2010

So.. It began.. 10 years ago when I bought my very first E34 (525i m20b25), Dreams of a V12 crammed into the engine bay went through my head everytime I tinkered on my little m20. Many years and many E34's later something bad happened. It started a few months ago with a quick drive around the block in Marty's newly aquired 750iL.. Quick it was for a boat which was almost the length of a bus.. I wonder how it would go in an E34.. The dreams continued.. Then a whole weekend test drive of the boat occured.. even towing a real boat with the boat.. yes, yes overtaking in the boat with the boat was a breeze, indicate, foot to the floor and off she goes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok I think I want to buy it now. Hey MAAAARRTY when can I start pulling the engine out?? oh and btw can I buy your old E34 off you aswell?? Pretty much 3 days later and many Gourmet Butter Chicken pie burps later, the engine was sitting on the floor in the shed blocking Marty's way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That was the easy bit. Many nights have since been spent out in the shed. Looking.. undoing things, more looking.. undoing more things.. looking some more.. undoing even more things.. one final look.. hrmm drilling brackets off.. welding brackets on.. drilling brackets off some more.. welding more brackets on.. unthreading looms, threading new looms.. and more looking.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Time to put the motor in.. I wonder if it will fit?? oh well one way to see.. 20 minutes later the gearbox cross member bolts were tightened. Well that was a few weeks ago. Since I have pulled the entire interior out almost to change the heater unit as there was only about 5mm clearance at the back of the head for the heater hose to connect. So I swapped the heater units across from the E32 to the E34. Everything is going swell just at a very slow pace.. lots of time consuming little fiddly bits connecting everything back up in the engine bay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I will start putting the interior back together.. and wire the back half of the car to the new front half of the car. So many extra wires for all the E32 accesories.

Anyhow I hope to have it certed and driving in 3 weeks time so I may add a few more pics here and there but the majority of the build is complete.

Stage 2 will be starting late in the year which will see the engine replaced again with some bells and whistles and hopefully a gearbox to suit, and a general cleanup.

Edited by melowpuf

Good project!

My mouth dropped when i saw the E34, absolutely stunning looking car!

mmmm,Lance,can you sell me back my e34??

that interior looks hot

m

mmmm,Lance,can you sell me back my e34??

that interior looks hot

m

It IS hotttt Marty.. Im surprised you didnt take it for your 540i. You can buy it back when I get my touring.

Guest Simon*

V12 looks so right in that E34 engine bay Lance

Nice peeky Dragon ;) At least not everyone's standards are slipping!

The best use of a BMW M20 since ages ago..smash 2 together. Will be awesome, good work so far

This is so cool. Cant wait to see it at a meet.

Are you going to put mufflers on it or nah?

Lance you are nuts my boy, I heard you were doing this and was like nah, he's not that crazy... and then :o

Low ratio LSD?? Would do one hell of a power skid.

Awesome. Thought maybe you'd never get around to it.

I'm glad you did.

Are you going to put mufflers on it or nah?

Eventually.. for certing purposes it will be standard.. The V12's are a fine line getting them to sing the right note I have heard. Last thing I want is a 12 cylinder fart machine.

Lance you are nuts my boy, I heard you were doing this and was like nah, he's not that crazy... and then :o

Low ratio LSD?? Would do one hell of a power skid.

Yes I am definitly not normal.. Still deciding on diff options.. have left the ASC-T in for now. Mainly because I want to do some experimenting with an LSD and traction control. Easy enough to turn off the Throttle side of the ASC but leave the Traction control still controlling rear wheel slip. That and I still like the safety if someone else has to drive it heaven forbid.

Nice job, V12 power is additive alright, hope dont loose you license again :P

Nice project Lance (not enough power for you :D ), hope i see it one day.What sort of manual gearbox do you need for the pwr/trq?

very impressive! .. will be such the unsuspecting torque monster on uphill over takes.

Nice project Lance (not enough power for you :D ), hope i see it one day.What sort of manual gearbox do you need for the pwr/trq?

I am on the lookout for an S6S 560G.. 6 speed used in the 850ci.. and you m60 auto boys thought you had it hard... I will keep trawling the intarwebs for one.... speaking of which.. Anyone have any contacts or family in the UK willing to forward a gearbox on for me?

Hahaha well wicked :D

Want a hand?

You can never have too many hands opening bottles of beer for you...

awesome! best of luck!

awesome!

regarding the gearbox wouldnt you be better off trying to mate up something from a jappa or another BMW? maybe that gearbox was used in another car thats more common over here? Is 6 speed necessary given how much torque that thing will have?

Edited by Mike

I want to keep everything OEM, by the time I buy a gearbox that will be suitable and have an adaptor made up, I think I would rather just wait to find the right box.

You finally came out of the closet about this project Lance! :D

Can't wait to see it in person

haha indeed!

thats a hot looking car bruv.