Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

Picked up a pair of bilsteins for the rear of the e36, will fit tomorrow if weather cooperates.

Got some style 42's for the e39.

Anyone know the best way to polish the lip?

20160817_164046.jpg

1 hour ago, qube said:

1 hour ago, qube said:

put doggy treats all around the lip. ez

Might not be left with a wheel at all if I do that

Hi all

Called into Frasers yesterday to make an appointment for certing my seats and rear control arms.

Control arms compliance is pretty straight forward.

Seat not so, things I learnt

1 / Aftermarket seat bases /mounts are not certified so you cannot mount the seat belt stalk on them.

The stalks needs to fixed to driveshaft tunnel

2/ Because it's a coupe you require a min 300mm clearance for the rear passengers to exit the rear seat,

Once the F/seat is folded forward. Scott went on to say as all coupes front seats not only fold forward but

slide forward when released and that my only option is to remove the rear seat............... and turn the car into a real two seater.

3/ Along with this is the fact that an med/average person must be able to drive the car in "comfort and safety."

4/ The airbags have to be removed and the side pods need the airbag writing removed.

As I see it, after having a read of the LWTA site

1/ not a problem

2/ and 3/ if I re-gig the slider to limit how far back the seat can slide eg leave 300mm clearance at all times

then the passenger side is covered.

But on the drivers side I can only get 250mm and still be comfortable  (my height 177.5 ) so a big problem.....................

3/ a big problem.....................

4/ Hide the airbag writing under a BMW emblem? (for the moment)

Anyone else been through this

Edited by sweetm3
bad spelling

Finally got around to replacing the rear shock mounts. The left hand one had collapsed completely. Both shocks are pretty pathetic too, but that's not in the budget just yet.

Replaced both rear shocks, bump stops, and top mounts in th e36, spent approximately 1/4 of the cars value on new suspension components! Totally worth it!! :)

Compression tested my engine....

Shes long gone.... but the Ti will live again! I have found another 2.8, but wouldnt mind an s50/52 to chuck in her, also will be needing a new gearbox too....

Cylinder #5 I couldnt see the spark plug due to the amount of oil in there....

I got:

220psi, 120psi, 200psi, 180psi, unreadable, 80psi

11 hours ago, sweetm3 said:

Hi all

Called into Frasers yesterday to make an appointment for certing my seats and rear control arms.

1 / Aftermarket seat bases /mounts are not certified so you cannot mount the seat belt stalk on them.

2/ Because it's a coupe you require a min 300mm clearance for the rear passengers to exit the rear seat,

Once the F/seat is folded forward. Scott went on to say as all coupes front seats not only fold forward but

slide forward when released and that my only option is to remove the rear seat............... and turn the car into a real two seater.

3/ Along with this is the fact that an med/average person must be able to drive the car in "comfort and safety."

4/ The airbags have to be removed and the side pods need the airbag writing removed.

1/ not a problem

2/ and 3/ if I re-gig the slider to limit how far back the seat can slide eg leave 300mm clearance at all times

But on the drivers side I can only get 250mm and still be comfortable  (my height 177.5 ) so a big problem.....................

This is why I gave my car to my fabricator to certify, Its cost $1500 to do with all of the extra fab work needed  , but he already had the relationship with Neil Fraser so no re-visits or extra work needed. That price included he cert as well. Was worth it in my eyes for all of the messing around of trying to work your way through the engineering process.

11 hours ago, sweetm3 said:

Hi all

1/ not a problem

Is there any way you could attach your new seats to your original mounts so they still tilt forward, I Imagine It will Involve some serious fabrication, but might be another option?

Shuffled all 4 5's around in the driveway (one by pushing into the shed...). 

Got a bit pissed off with all the bloody plants the wife has in front of the garage making the whole exercise a series 25 point turns so did a burnout, much to the enjoyment of our 4 year old.....

Started my new E34 project too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aja540i said:

Is there any way you could attach your new seats to your original mounts so they still tilt forward, I Imagine It will Involve some serious fabrication, but might be another option?

Andrew,

I'll do a trip up to Rays and check out if I can use manual e36 mounts. My existing mounts are electric.

Straightened the front bumper on the track car, and then removed the wiper assembly so I can replace it (eventually). What a PITA that was, even with a relatively straight forward guide. Big hands are not actually as good as people make out.

Bought my E36 Evo vert and drove it home from Christchurch. Absolutely no regrets its amazing to drive.

• Like 3

Got around to fitting Freeview tuner module in the M3. Nice and straight forward install. (blue board in photo) more info on kit at www.pibus.info

Reworking a couple of areas of my car stereo where in hindsight I should have done better.

RIMG1478_zpslcbolo06.jpg

Edited by Neal
  • Like 2

New windscreen in the E30. Awesomely clear, and now it's incredibly noticeable how old and worn all the other glass in the car is!

• Like 1

Did the fan delete mod on Babara today.

I cant believe how good the difference is, and for so little money.

I will get another electric fan and do the same to my other car.

On 19 August 2016 at 9:13 PM, MattA said:

Shuffled all 4 5's around in the driveway (one by pushing into the shed...). 

Got a bit pissed off with all the bloody plants the wife has in front of the garage making the whole exercise a series 25 point turns so did a burnout, much to the enjoyment of our 4 year old.....

Started my new E34 project too.

the proliferation of plant pots are your spouses subtle response to your proliferation of 5 series in the driveway!

• Like 1

220k oil change in the std 740. Looks nice and clean coming out and still sounding sweet :)

had Brake linings Check come up, thought pads where still pretty good, just a dirty sensor, cleaned up and good to go. WOF next week now

• Like 1

yesterday I fitted 2 parts to my e46.  63 12 6 921 860, and 63 12 6 921 859.  These suckers are just like the 'quality' item we find ourselves replacing, the wiper cowl.  

I am happy to report that there is now a seal between headlamps and bonnet.

that is all.  More updates tomorrow.

Olaf

• Like 1

oh, and today I did something that wasn't to my BMW.  I paid for a PPI at my local trusted independent Page European, on a vehicle that I subsequently have not purchased.  Shame really, as I really liked the car.

I can confirm that a PPI from the good independent (or even the dealer) is worth its expense and time.

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

Olaf

Edited by Olaf

so, today I collected and paid for more maintenance done on my e46.    It had been leaking oil out of the remaining culprit - the sump gasket.  So I bit the bullet.  Had been talking about this for a few months with my trusted independent workshop.

- I ran Wurth fuel injector cleaner through it for 350kms before this work, noticed the car running more smoothly, despite it getting good long trips (8000kms since late April).  I guess the cleaner injectors result in a better spray pattern, better atomisation, better combustion etc.

- Replaced sump gasket (gen BMW), engine mounts, trans mounts (all Lemforder) replaced, including new sump bolts and mount nuts.

- They replaced the oil level sensor seal and the dipstick tube seal

- Oil and filter (of course) - 5W30 Castrol Pro, along with a Mann filter & o-rings from my stock.  8000km oil change interval this time, I'll monitor how it goes.

- Replaced the seat occupancy sensor mat (second one in 4.5 years - arggggh).  Better safe than sorry or even failing a WoF.

- Replaced the rear springs with a pair sourced from Brent at BM World (Thanks Brent!).  The left rear springs had broken.  Orange Stripe was on the car, Green Stripe have gone on.  Need to research what these colours signify in part numbers - there's nothing on RealOEM now.  If anyone has any info, please let me know.

- Wheel Alignment (following the spring change).

She's running beautifully.  And I trust, no more oil leaks!  Replacing the mounts after 14 years and 166k kms of running has made it appreciably smoother, less driveline vibration on the highway, or under acceleration.  Result.  

With thanks to the team at Page European!

• Like 3

Washed it.  Carefully washed the wheels - using my Auto Glym wheel brush.  It was good to get rid of some of the tiny tar spots that have built up on the wheels.  I find that the wheel cleaner I use (Break Thru degreaser at around 1:5) helps loosen and remove tar, without damaging the surface.  And I chamoised it.  Looks much better.

And, I did something I'd been meaning to do for a while.  I recently secured a BMW Business CD53 (65 12 6 921 963) December 02, from Brent at BM World.  The MD Player in my MD53 had been playing up, and I'd not been able to locate a proven working late MD53 to replace it.  So today I swapped out my MD53 (65 12 6 919 074) March 02, for the CD53.  Took about 10 minutes.  Easy.

It works, plays CDs, works my changer, and tunes niu zild.  Might even sound a little better than the old MD53.  

Still might have a look at the MD, or even get it repaired.  I have a load of MDs, and find they sound acceptable (like nearly as good as a well-recorded cassette) when recorded from my TT or CDP.  Better than an iPhone as a source, anyway!    

Perhaps it's time to get one of those adaptors that will run my iPhone (lightning connector - iPhone SE) into the factory stereo.  I have no desire to go non-factory for the head unit.  Wouldn't mind replacing the speakers.  Better have a talk to Neal at the next run!

Olaf.

• Like 1