Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

1 hour ago, Willus said:

just successfully flashed my e46 today, after 2 days of pulling my hair out.

I hope your sister or mother wasn't driving it

• Like 1

Got a WoF. :thumbs-up:

• Like 2

Have started cleaning the new E30. Found the source of the stale smell, rear ashtray full of butts. Got carried away because the rear seat belt latches don't fit in the seat holders, so swapping in the rear seatbelts from the racecar (kept for 9 years in case I needed them one day).

Everywhere the previous owner has had rust repaired is rusting again, badly. Pretty disappointed but I knew it was going to be a project. The 2 year old paintjob will be re-done before another 2 years is up, might look at colour options because white isn't doing it for me.

• Like 1

Moving on from yesterday, took the left front guard off. Inner wing is destroyed, and bulkhead corner is pretty messy. This is going to be a challenging fix, but from what I can tell it is still repairable.

Wouldn't be economically viable, but I have the welder so I'm not paying for it. Might be a good 5 year project now though!

• Like 1

Replaced a steering rack boot, one step closer to a warrant.

Exciting!

Reliving a bit of e30 80s nostalgia.  Removed everything from car that is not bmw factory related. Out goes acs pinstripes,acs grille badge , modern head unit, eyelids,dash dial chrome surrounds,black kidney grille. In comes 15" weaves, is lip, mtech1 boot spoiler, 1988 alpine 7167 head unit, mtech1 steering wheel,chrome kidney grille..........and to top it off, a selection of mid 80s cassettes........yes I was an 80s teen........call it a sickness or mid life crisis....lol

is now all original bar the e30 series suspension, looks cool and 80s tastic.

Edited by NZ300E
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, NZ300E said:

Reliving a bit of e30 80s nostalgia.  Removed everything from car that is not bmw factory related. Out goes acs pinstripes,acs grille badge , modern head unit, eyelids,dash dial chrome surrounds,black kidney grille. In comes 15" weaves, is lip, mtech1 boot spoiler, 1988 alpine 7167 head unit, mtech1 steering wheel,chrome kidney grille..........and to top it off, a selection of mid 80s cassettes........yes I was an 80s teen........call it a sickness or mid life crisis....lol

is now all original bar the e30 series suspension, looks cool and 80s tastic.

good for you!  now:  need pics!  You got your Yazoo, Shreikback, Talking Heads, Kissing the Pink, The Clash, New Order tapes then? #8 )

Talking heads check, the others were a bit alternative for me.....I'm more boring mainstream....rem, Tracy Chapman,cactus world news.....and to really make you vomit, Miami vice soundtrack vol 1.  Lol. 

I own a time machine. Right down to the 80s BMW dealership keyring from the UK.

1 minute ago, NZ300E said:

I own a time machine. Right down to the 80s BMW dealership keyring from the UK.

Pretty much the goal for my current E30 restoration. Or should that be Rustoration?! :unsure:

Pretty happy with what I ended up with. Still a couple of pieces to go like the bmw premium stereo speakers and the map light mirror, plus the cloth sport front seats I have asked for on here. Then she'll be pretty special. To me anyway. 

Had a good base to start with....not a bubble of rust anywhere, totally mint interior, and "only" 136k kms.

will try and get pics up soonish.

Finished a refurb of my E36 318iS's gearbox and shifter.  New Knob, Shift Lever, every bushing and clip also replaced, clutch replaced, and new G250 box that doesn't jump out of 3rd, just wines like a dog box...  sounds kind of cool... not going to overthink it... drives awesome now, i regret less flicking the E30, just need to sort the wheels, paint, sun roof, glove box & rear left door lock mechanism and it will be just like a new one.

Don't forget to change your brake booster oil. Brakes working a lot better with some fresh oil in there now..

2ebzu5f.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

You working on a 4 cylinder E90 Troy ? :P

its a mates e46 318. not really familiar with their vacuum setup or how its supposed to work / how the oil got there. 

I suppose you see it quite often?

If it's an N42 or N46 replace the brake vacuum pump as well as the booster and brake master cylinder. The oil will damage the booster and master cylinder seals

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Glenn* said:

If it's an N42 or N46 replace the brake vacuum pump as well as the booster and brake master cylinder. The oil will damage the booster and master cylinder seals

sweet, so they run a separate vacuum pump instead of engine vacuum?  I havent delt with this new fang dangeled stuff 

Will pass it on, hes in aussie. cheers for the insight. 

1 hour ago, allan said:

Have a look here  

https://www.google.co.nz/#q=n42+vacuum+pump+replacement

and take your pick. The N42 and n46  are notorious for it they will empty your wallet quicker than anything else BMW has made.

Wouldnt own or recommend one my self. But he somehow ended up with it haha.

Or well some of us learn the hard way it seems.

On 25/10/2016 at 7:24 PM, polley said:

sweet, so they run a separate vacuum pump instead of engine vacuum?  I havent delt with this new fang dangeled stuff 

Will pass it on, hes in aussie. cheers for the insight. 

It would also be prudent to remove the manifold and change the oil separator valve as well if it hasn't been recently done. The crankcase could be over pressurising if it, and the breather hoses are clogged up......... AND..... while the manifold is off, change the crank speed sensor as well.... preventative maintenance 

Edited by *Glenn*

6 hours ago, *Glenn* said:

It would also be prudent to remove the manifold and change the oil separator valve as well if it hasn't been recently done. The crankcase could be over pressurising if it, and the breather hoses are clogged up......... AND..... while the manifold is off, change the crank speed sensor as well.... preventative maintenance 

And then immediately sell the car... preventative maintenance ;)

• Like 1

On 24 October 2016 at 9:49 AM, Olaf said:

good for you!  now:  need pics!  You got your Yazoo, Shreikback, Talking Heads, Kissing the Pink, The Clash, New Order tapes then? #8 )

Here are the pics......my babies

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by NZ300E
  • Like 3

^ Also need more pics and details of the Mini please!

The mini........ Started life as a 1963 mk1 bog standard 850.

i love nostalgia and the cars I build, I want to invoke the feel, and smell of what it was like. I can't afford the real thing, so I make it. I happened to come across a car that had already had the body resto done and painted the right colour still on its original rego for a couple of grand. The mini is now an exact tribute car to the mk1 cooper bmc "works" rally car of 1963. It has taken 3 years and a lot of searching, but everything on that car is period correct and from the 60s both interior and exterior. It now has a 1275 engine and is heaps of fun. It's a keeper and will be my daughters in time (she's 4). Same with the e30, again all period correct parts to "relive" another time.

maybe they'll be worth something one day, maybe not....I don't care. It all about how it makes you feel. And the point being for anyone out there, is that you don't have to have a lot of cash to create something special, just pick the car you love from the past and recreate it. 

Cheers

• Like 4