Lucan

What'd you do to your BMW today?

On 11/7/2022 at 7:26 AM, euroriffic said:

That’s one hell of an offer! I’m also in need of an abs pump and module, which is that reason the car went off the road, if you’ll be parting out the rest of the car. I’m in no real rush with it, so could head down when ever really to do that. 

Yep can sort the ABS pump too at the same time, that's easy done. Just keep in touch with me, not always on here at the moment as life is too busy, but we can make this happen easy enough. Got plenty of tools here too so you won't need to bring anything. Message me in a little while and I'll let you know a rough estimate of when I can get to it, and work out a plan with you.

• Like 1

New colour stripes for the badge on the M5, random ones from eBay, the red looks a bit too red, but I might just be used to the old faded one...

20221218_094340.thumb.jpg.bf6fa759dd99500afba7822f20151a8d.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KwS said:

That spider in the reverse light though 🤣

Factory standard for NZ new cars 😂

What is it with spiders in NZ wanting to make a home in cars and covering them with big thick webs?

I finally got around to fitting the Tech-I spoiler on the boot of the vert. Always been a bit scared about drilling holes in the boot, but I made a template off an old drilled boot I have and it worked pretty well. It’s a little out of position L-R but It’s only bolted on for the summer, will tidy it up when i take it all for some panel and paint at Takapuna Panelbeaters in the winter.

E7A6193B-3AE5-475F-9248-4315B217DB49.jpegF20DF5EA-D733-4FF9-837B-7C0597CF4D3D.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KwS said:

That spider in the reverse light though 🤣

Came with the car, could even be a UK import spider??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Replaced my crusty 1/16th of one accelerator linkage bushing with two new ones.

love the little jobs that make a bit difference!

0713CA1C-A7F1-44FB-90D2-F0B72CCA9CC4.jpeg

• Like 2

10/60 was on sale at repco, so was good timing for an oil change on the m3. And after ten years of ownership have only just figured out I don’t need to get under the car to do them! Bmw think of everything. 
also noticed the oil cap seal is cooked, so ordered a flash e46 m3 one to smarten up under the bonnet. 

66839CEC-C57A-4974-880C-8E1E2422F77F.jpeg

Also while robbing seatbelt stalks out of the e30 at my work yard, I had tools with me for a change, so put on the Protipo wheel I’ve had sitting on the seat for it for the last year, as well as had a play with the fibreglass tech2 kit I got for it 6 months ago, then realised it’s for a sedan, not a coupe. Uggghhh

7DB8D8B8-E4C0-4065-9805-A2155A6EC53D.jpeg

Edited by euroriffic

36 minutes ago, euroriffic said:

10/60 was on sale at repco, so was good timing for an oil change on the m3. And after ten years of ownership have only just figured out I don’t need to get under the car to do them! Bmw think of everything. 
also noticed the oil cap seal is cooked, so ordered a flash e46 m3 one to smarten up under the bonnet. 

66839CEC-C57A-4974-880C-8E1E2422F77F.jpeg

uh, can we just talk about those chromies for the homies for a minute? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, KwS said:

uh, can we just talk about those chromies for the homies for a minute? 

Can we what!! Sex spec is back in fashion!! 
On the hunt for the chrome light set too!

8D4EBAB1-4CF7-43ED-92E2-4EC52AEE02FA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

And i thought the wheels on my old M3-28i looked ridiculous 🤣 

IMG_2395.jpg

• Like 1

I'm sure seeing those two pictures has shortened my life.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Got the A/C in the M5 serviced, after a 5 hour drive to Taupo on Tuesday with slowly failing aircon in 27 degree heat!! 

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

Got the A/C in the M5 serviced, after a 5 hour drive to Taupo on Tuesday with slowly failing aircon in 27 degree heat!! 

Where did you get that done Andrew, and are you happy with the results/value?

Used ace automotive in Taupo, wasn't spoiled for choice they were the only place open!! They were good to deal with, gave me a good run down of what they were going to do and a pretty accurate estimate, checked how much refrigerant was left in the system and it was about 30% of what it should have, pressure tested the system with nitrogen and it held pressure so no major leaks, evacuated all the gas out to remove moisture then re-gassed it. Not sure on the value, it depends on how long it keeps working for I suppose, but it was just under $600. Worth it to have it working for the drive home!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aja540i said:

Used ace automotive in Taupo, wasn't spoiled for choice they were the only place open!! They were good to deal with, gave me a good run down of what they were going to do and a pretty accurate estimate, checked how much refrigerant was left in the system and it was about 30% of what it should have, pressure tested the system with nitrogen and it held pressure so no major leaks, evacuated all the gas out to remove moisture then re-gassed it. Not sure on the value, it depends on how long it keeps working for I suppose, but it was just under $600. Worth it to have it working for the drive home!!

Got my x5 regassed in Nov prior to summer road trips, as it was only blowing slightly cool on the passenger side so quite low, was $350 including vac test, I don't think there was a nitrogen pressure test in there, likely they just checked it held pressure with the refrigerant gas refill. Not the best on the wallet at the time, but having them vac/test it makes it pretty likely it'll last another 10 years I reckon, so not bad value. Especially with an upcoming 5 hour trip with a 2month old...

A/c gas is horribly expensive now so $350 is pretty good value 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tawa said:

Got my x5 regassed in Nov prior to summer road trips, as it was only blowing slightly cool on the passenger side so quite low, was $350 including vac test, I don't think there was a nitrogen pressure test in there, likely they just checked it held pressure with the refrigerant gas refill. Not the best on the wallet at the time, but having them vac/test it makes it pretty likely it'll last another 10 years I reckon, so not bad value. Especially with an upcoming 5 hour trip with a 2month old...

Mine was doing the exact same when I got it, haven't been able to find a DIY kit anywhere. Unbearable driving without it now, bloody hot up in the north atm.

Got my new oil cap today.

87BB3384-FC45-4264-86FA-EDE29804AE45.thumb.jpeg.49e02954cb2cc92c6ba8ef5c71c27640.jpeg

Started fitting the Racetech seats in the compact and battled with where to mount the seatbelt receiver. I’m too skinny for it to work going over the top into a e30 one, so tried to make the rear middle seat one work, but having to thread the belt through the side hole to click it in is a bit awkward. 
So is on the rear seat mount bolt currently till I can find a better/longer option for one to come through the hole. 23D1E088-01B8-48A2-AB51-A517E992FDEF.thumb.jpeg.d382d7f5be7887d6b7cf7a9a38bb73db.jpeg

Edited by euroriffic

Pulled the motor out the e39 and stripped the box off all ready to exchange for a good running one from Mad_Max.  Garage is a bit tight for room so just left it on the crane and rolled it back into the engine bay until it’s time to go. 

58B56CCA-E516-48AA-9203-9141509C9C91.jpeg

• Like 1

Did the brakes on the F25, my first time navigating the EPB system. Absolutely smooth sailing, infact; so much easier than messing about with shoes and cables!

Biggest trap for young players is remembering to wind down the EPB itself with a T-45 before bolting it back to the calliper. 

Did a motor exchange with mad_max over Waitangi weekend. Drove down to Invercargill and pulled out his e39 m54 and took it back home and gave it a looking over to see what needed replaced on it.
Parts arrived on Tuesday, so weds fitted new belts, water pump, t.stat, ccv and hoses, new exhaust studs and valve cover gasket and all  ready to go in. 
so today took me 5 hours to get motor in and everything hooked up and front end all back on ready to drive out the garage. 
But tried to start it and cranks but no sign of wanting to go. Fuel pump is priming and have pressure on the rail so pulled a plug and no fuel in cylinders so injectors arnt firing. Any ideas??? Car was running the day we pulled it out, so no issues on that side, and have rechecked all the plugs and bits are connected so maybe an ews issue??

8 hours ago, euroriffic said:

Car was running the day we pulled it out, so no issues on that side, and have rechecked all the plugs and bits are connected so maybe an ews issue??

Don't think it'd crank at all if it was the EWS, the starter needs a signal from the EWS to power up, don't think it does anything else. Must be something simple like a loose connection/dodgy fuse or such. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vass said:

Don't think it'd crank at all if it was the EWS, the starter needs a signal from the EWS to power up, don't think it does anything else. Must be something simple like a loose connection/dodgy fuse or such. 

Yea think you’re right there. After having a chat with a man today he would think it is a cam or crank sensor issue not giving a signal to fire. And I did unplug it to clean a heap of oil around it so that could be a good place to start 

So turns out I’m a blind idiot!

after what I thought was testing the exhaust cam sensor to be faulty, and swapping it into a running car, or still ran. And swapping the good one into mine still no go. But after poking around testing relays and power to things I noticed I had missed the earth tucked under the loom into the computer cubbyhole. Put that back on and boom! Way she goes. 

• Like 3

So turns out I’m a blind idiot!

after what I thought was testing the exhaust cam sensor to be faulty, and swapping it into a running car, it still ran. And swapping the good one into mine it still wouldn’t go. But after poking around testing relays and power to things I noticed I had missed the earth tucked under the loom into the computer cubbyhole. Put that back on and boom! Way she goes. 

Edited by euroriffic